Glory sailing right into the storm?

patrioticgirl

I know that Glory's cruise out of Norfolk was cancelled and I expected that she'd head into the bay for shelter from the storm. Instead, the ship headed out into the Atlantic last night, went down the Outer Banks, then headed back up to the mouth of the Chesapeake early this morning. I was sure that she'd head into the bay at that point, but the Glory turned and headed south once again. All day long I have watched the ship on a marine tracking site. Right now they east of Roanoke Sound and headed into a strong winds of around 50 knots. I am wondering why Glory just didn't wait it out in the Chesapeake Bay and even more, I am wondering how the crew is handling the storm?? :eek: Prayers that everyone on board the ship is safe!

The Coast Guard told Carnival that the Pride couldn't sail the bay from Baltimore, so I imagine the bay is closed to the Glory from the other end as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't think they'd want any big cruiseships heading north/south if the eye of Sandy turns inland and t-bones such a huge target.

The Coast Guard told Carnival that the Pride couldn't sail the bay from Baltimore, so I imagine the bay is closed to the Glory from the other end as well.

According to the marine tracker, Glory was off of Virginia Beach at the mouth of the bay this morning; I don't remember the exact time, but it was before sunrise when I checked. The Coast Guard didn't list the code Zulu info on their website until early afternoon and there were ships sailing out of the bay when Glory headed north. Perhaps they attempted to return and were turned away.

I was on conquest and we went right into Tropical Storm Nicole and the winds were so strong we could not dock in jamaica.. but our entertainers were there and probably some supplies.. so we went right into 50 plus mph winds .. Jamaica had mudslides I heard all day..so I dont know how anyone could have done excursions even if they had managed to dock. some people watched how many times they tried.. they just couldnt get in.

It isnt true what people post .. they will sail right into a storm.

that was the cruise we had a uprising .. mostly newbies .. all mad, we missed two ports. blah blah blah.

I can't even find the glory on the marine traffic website anymore, says it is out of range.
Don't worry - this is frequent on Marine Traffic. They need both a working transponder and receiver. Glory was off North Carolina last I checked.

The ship will be fine. But it is going to be a rough ride for the crew on the ship for at least another 18-24 hours.

Miracle, with guests, will be having a very unenjoyable ride tonight as she is going right down the Jersey coast right now. Midnight to somewhere between 9:00 and noon will be the worst part. Steady 30-50 knot winds with gusts to 70 knots and seas of 20-30 feet for that whole period. Tailwind is helping but swells will be slamming into the ship from the side so the rocking will be a lot rougher than if she could take them head on.

I was on conquest and we went right into Tropical Storm Nicole and the winds were so strong we could not dock in jamaica.. but our entertainers were there and probably some supplies.. so we went right into 50 plus mph winds .. Jamaica had mudslides I heard all day..so I dont know how anyone could have done excursions even if they had managed to dock. some people watched how many times they tried.. they just couldnt get in.

It isnt true what people post .. they will sail right into a storm.

that was the cruise we had a uprising .. mostly newbies .. all mad, we missed two ports. blah blah blah.

That was a fun cruise.

We watched from our balcony as the currents kept the Conquest from making it into the harbour channel.

That was a fun cruise.

We watched from our balcony as the currents kept the Conquest from making it into the harbour channel.

Yes, you were on this one too.

I took your word for it, that Barb didnt want to do Conquest with me and took her name off. Im in 2425, a quad by myself for the Nov 25th cruise that she was on the booking with me.

I guess I can play musical beds.. we are right by the aft stairs and elevators.. which might have been good for her, close to everything?

they say a ship is safer at sea.......I would guess b/c a lot less to run into.....like other boats/ships, or piers, or land etc...Hopefully everyone onboard is safe

It is always best for a ship to ride a storm out at sea than dragging your anchor in the harbor or losing lines attached to the pier. A ship is more likely to suffer and create damage in a harbor.

I know that Glory's cruise out of Norfolk was cancelled and I expected that she'd head into the bay for shelter from the storm. Instead, the ship headed out into the Atlantic last night, went down the Outer Banks, then headed back up to the mouth of the Chesapeake early this morning. I was sure that she'd head into the bay at that point, but the Glory turned and headed south once again. All day long I have watched the ship on a marine tracking site. Right now they east of Roanoke Sound and headed into a strong winds of around 50 knots. I am wondering why Glory just didn't wait it out in the Chesapeake Bay and even more, I am wondering how the crew is handling the storm?? :eek: Prayers that everyone on board the ship is safe!

I can't help wondering if Glory may have headed south into the storm on Sunday to assist with the rescue and search for the missing crew members of the tall ship HMS Bounty, which sank off of the coast of NC on October 28th; perhaps this might help explain the unexplained and sudden turn south that was observed on Sunday....

From HMS Bounty's website ( TallShipBounty.org ):

We received a distress call for Bounty at 1830 Sunday evening October 28th that the Ship lost power and the pumps were unable to keep up with the dewatering. At that time we immediately contacted the USCG for assistance. A C130 was sent to there position approximately 90 miles SE of Cape Hatteras. Sunday morning approximately 0400, the Captain ordered all hands to abandon ship. There were 16 Crew on board. The USCG dispatched helicopters to rescue the brave crew. At this time, 14 of the 16 crew members have been safely returned to land and are in good health. We are saddened to report that there is still one crew member missing and one crew member that did not make it. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of the crew member that is no longer with us. The USCG is continuing their efforts to search for the missing crew member and we are praying for a safe return. Please keep them in your prayers! We will keep everyone informed as info becomes available.

Archived