All inclusive question

vanessa5076

Hi all

We are hoping to book a cruise on the Splendida for early next year and have got a question re upgrading to all inclusive. Basically, if we upgrade, will we still pay the 15% tip on drinks and, if so, how do they work this out.

Thanks

We are just of the MSC Musica.

You have a good question here which struck a nerve with me on our cruise.

We had the Allegissimo package which worked very well, giving us draught beer, 5 different wines, a good selection of spirits and all soft drinks. We paid for this package before we boarded the ship and DIDN'T pay any tips at the point of purchase.

We received very poor service from virtually all bar staff - nobody smiled, it was a chore for them to serve and generally I couldn't see they had any incentive to serve drinks.

After sailing 31 times with Royal Caribbean I found the bar service to be a shock and I think the tips are the main problem MSC have. I noticed may people ordering drinks and then leaving them, I would think if they had paid a service charge of 10-15% they would think twice about leaving their drink, the bar staff would be eager to serve and MSC would create more profit through lack of wastage.

The ship was wonderful, let down by very poor service from the bar staff.

I've cruised with MSC before and after the AI package was introduced and can honestly say I've noticed to difference in the bar service. They've never been that keen to sell you more. I believe from speaking to a bar manager that they don't get commission in the way staff do on RCCL, but a higher basic wage.

It's true you can wait a while for a waiter and won't automatically keep coming over, as they're used to Italians sitting with just an espresso for ages. You have to attract their attention by making eye contact.

I had no issues on the Musica in September but I tended to go to the same bars and also sat at the bar. Service around thenpool is slow and imwould nevervrely on someone coming around. Then again the upsidento that is I'm not getting bugged to buy drink every 20-30 minutesnwhen I wantntomrelax and read my book.

The AI is a great deal and if bought before you sail, there's no 15% service charge. If you buy it onboard, I think you sompay thenextra charge at the point of purchase.

We're just off Splendida. The AI was fantastic and drinks service was amongst the most efficient I have experienced on any cruise (without the pushiness of RCI etc. where you seemed to be harassed by staff wanting to take drinks orders because they are getting 15% on top). Loads of drinks waiters in bars and in the buffet, and very quick service. Not aware that staff treated us any different because we had the package.

I am just off the Divina and found the bar staff the best we have ever had with any cruise company. We had the allegrisimo package and as soon as we were finished one drink they were over trying to persuade us to have another (didn't need much persuasion) :cool: It was lovely to chat to them as they served you. Never needed to queue at a bar anywhere on the ship.:D

Hi all

We are hoping to book a cruise on the Splendida for early next year and have got a question re upgrading to all inclusive. Basically, if we upgrade, will we still pay the 15% tip on drinks and, if so, how do they work this out.

Thanks

Hello Vanessa5076,

If you order the package online prior to sailing, you will not be charged the 15% service charge. If you purchase the package onboard, the ship will charge you a 15% service charge at the time you purchase the package.

HAPPY SAILINGS!

We wereon the fantasia 21st to 28th october, we were on the a1 deal ,which was very good and the bar staff were absolutely brilliant. They always had time for a chat, I think a smile and a hello go along way.

Hello Vanessa5076,

If you order the package online prior to sailing, you will not be charged the 15% service charge. If you purchase the package onboard, the ship will charge you a 15% service charge at the time you purchase the package.

HAPPY SAILINGS!

We have pre-booked the Allegrissimo Premium package for our cruise on MSC website. To my understanding it will be charged from our on-board account? We don't have to pay 15% service charge since we have booked it before the cruise eventhough charging is done from on-board account?

I like the more restrained bar service on MSC better. I hate it when I have to fight off waiters who are constantly trying to push another drink or a drink packege. On MSC, you can signal them when you need something and otherwise they'll leave you alone.

It's good reading all your replies to Vanessa after our experience on Musica.

I spoke to the 1st purser on the final night, congratulating him about about the ship as a whole but pointed out our view of the bar staff. He said they were going through a 'change over' period with staff b/c the ship was sailing to Brazil in a weeks time and he understood our concerns. I now feel very happy about booking with MSC in the future knowing our little hick-up is not across the fleet ;-)

It's good reading all your replies to Vanessa after our experience on Musica.

I spoke to the 1st purser on the final night, congratulating him about about the ship as a whole but pointed out our view of the bar staff. He said they were going through a 'change over' period with staff b/c the ship was sailing to Brazil in a weeks time and he understood our concerns. I now feel very happy about booking with MSC in the future knowing our little hick-up is not across the fleet ;-)

Now that does make sense. I went on the Musica from Venice to Rio a couple of years ago and the service was very hit or miss. Evidently they have to have a detain percentage of the crew Brazilian to be allowed to operate cruises there, so we had a big influx of Brazilian newbies. Some were good and some were clearly out of their depth. MDR could be hopeless at breakfast some mornings. We were all jokingnthat the waiter could only see 1 or 2 of us and the rest of us were invisible! By the end of the 3 weeks they had improved considerably.

We have pre-booked the Allegrissimo Premium package for our cruise on MSC website. To my understanding it will be charged from our on-board account? We don't have to pay 15% service charge since we have booked it before the cruise eventhough charging is done from on-board account?

Correct, you would not be charged a 15% service charge.

Are the servers allowed to accept a cash tip?

Never been on MSC before.

We are thinking about the Divina for next summer and would most likely book the all-inclusive package though I don't know the differences between them. I know I just want my red wine and Diet Coke and lots of it.

On other lines where we are invited to attend Platinum parties etc., it seems if you "grease the palms" a little, you get better service.

Yes, they accept cash tips. We gave our two waiters an extra 20 each and they had no problem accepting it. We tipped on the last day after we received great service throughout the week. I'm assuming the same would apply to the bar staff.

The normal Allegrissimo would do for what you want rather than the premium one.

You don't have to tip atball, there is the daily service charge. That said they'll definitely accept cash tips. I'm like Alex though, only give out cash tips at the end of the cruise. None of the crew expects to be tipped as you go or in advance in order to get good service. Europeans would almost never do that

Correct, you would not be charged a 15% service charge.

Just wondering why MSC has chosen to offer only the premium package out of Fort Lauderdale. I checked and it is over $830 for my husband and myself for a week. :eek::eek: Could never drink that much in a week.

I do not want or need the premium products and would have been happy to pay for the regular package that is offered elsewhere.

Just wondering why MSC has chosen to offer only the premium package out of Fort Lauderdale. I checked and it is over $830 for my husband and myself for a week. :eek::eek: Could never drink that much in a week.

I do not want or need the premium products and would have been happy to pay for the regular package that is offered elsewhere.

Really? How are you able to find out what is offered? We are not booked yet but looking at the Poesia out of Fort Lauderdale.

It probably doesn't make sense for us as we are not big drinkers, but I cannot find the cost for this. Does anyone know or can you tell me where to find it? We sail Dec. 1 on the Poesia. Thanks

When I look into my booking on the MSC site it offers me the all inclusive at $399.00 per person for the week (I assume, as the website says per day). This is the premium package. There is no 'regular' package. It also offers me the 'cheers' package at $157.50 per person for draft beer and house wine at meal time. It clearly states that all passengers in the cabin or sitting at the same table must purchase the package. There is a children's package with no alcohol for less.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add, in the process of trying to find you prices I added 2 all inclusive packages to my file. They showed a price of $0 and will not let me remove them from my shopping cart. I will have to call MSC one day this week as I don't want to get stuck buying two all inclusive packages.

So sorry monicajay. Hope you can get that taken off. That is why I didn't go any further on the website. I was afraid I would be forced to purchase them. Needless to say, we will not be purchasing the package at that price. If I want a drink I will just go that route. Probably better off getting one in port if it is that important to me. lol

Really? How are you able to find out what is offered? We are not booked yet but looking at the Poesia out of Fort Lauderdale.

Hi. We booked a couple of weeks ago for the Poesia in April and were concerned we wouldn't be able to purchase the package as the information on MSC's website isn't very clear, but it is definitely available once you have booked logged in online.

As others have said it's $399 each but it seems like you get a LOT of choice including coffee's, juice, bottles of water and gelato, which hardly any of the other lines are offering in their new AI packages. I drink a lot of spirits and cocktails and my bar bill has definitely been a lot higher than $399 in the past, so to be able to get all the non-alcoholic extra's as well is a bargain to me!! :D

monicajay - I also have the two AI packages stuck in my shopping cart to purchase nearer the time. They won't be able to charge you for them unless you have added credit card details to your booking.

• 1 month later...

We are sailing on Poesia and are considering the AI package. I wondered if the vouchers you buy on board have to be used for the cruise in which they are purchased? Several people have commented they have had some vouchers left over. I would be interested in purchasing left over vouchers if I can use them on our cruise.

We are sailing on Poesia and are considering the AI package. I wondered if the vouchers you buy on board have to be used for the cruise in which they are purchased? Several people have commented they have had some vouchers left over. I would be interested in purchasing left over vouchers if I can use them on our cruise.

Not sure about that one. Years ago, I was able to just hand over vouchers from a previous cruise and they didn't seem to notice or care whether the serial numbers matched a booklet sold during that cruise. Now you have to hand tour cruise card over with the voucher and they give you a bill for the drink that has been zeroed for you to sign, with the voucher pinned to the back. I think it would flag up on their system if they had no record of you buying a package but you were using vouchers from one.

Archived