Teenage Steel Pan player

Garn

We're sailing on AOS at the end of March (which can't come soon enough as I watch the huge flakes of snow coming down rapidy), and had a somewhat unusual question. My 16 year old son is a percussionist, and was at a summer camp the past two years where he learned to play the steel pan. In fact, we're in the process of ordering one for him.

I know that he'd love to hang out with the musicians a bit, and maybe even jam with them during set up or rehearsal (well, he'd LOVE to perform to, but...). Is there any possibility of getting him set up? Any idea how I'd go about it?

Thanks!

I would either write to rci or ask the cruise director on board. That would be really cool for your son if they allowed it.

On one of my cruises a couple from our m&m invited us to have dinner with them at Cafe Carli in San Juan. It was a very special night because their teenage son was into jazz trump and The owner of the restaurant, Carli Munoz, is a famous jazz pianist. They wrote to Carli prior to the trip and arranged for their son to play with Carli at dinner. It was very cool! :)

It was a big accomplishment for the 15 year old. And a great thing to add to his resume.

Thanks Sparky- great idea. Kaye- hopefully I'll have a video to post.

Paul - I wasn't looking for babysitting- my son extremely serious about his music. I have found that most musicians really appreciate those who can appreciate their music. Particularly in the case of the pan, where frankly, there aren't a lot of suburban midwesterners who are interested or have a clue how to play, the players I've met have been particularly encouraging to my son.

There are certainly many tales on these boards of bartenders or waiters who the posters think of as dear friends- aren't they they to "work" too? And I don't think most of the musicians would take the job if they weren't having fun at the same time- there's a reason they call it "playing". I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

But thanks for jumping to judgmental conclusions, and letting me know that having my son politely try to share his love of their chosen instrument doesn't fit with what you find acceptable.

Thanks Sparky- great idea. Kaye- hopefully I'll have a video to post.

Paul - I wasn't looking for babysitting- my son extremely serious about his music. I have found that most musicians really appreciate those who can appreciate their music. Particularly in the case of the pan, where frankly, there aren't a lot of suburban midwesterners who are interested or have a clue how to play, the players I've met have been particularly encouraging to my son.

There are certainly many tales on these boards of bartenders or waiters who the posters think of as dear friends- aren't they they to "work" too? And I don't think most of the musicians would take the job if they weren't having fun at the same time- there's a reason they call it "playing". I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

But thanks for jumping to judgmental conclusions, and letting me know that having my son politely try to share his love of their chosen instrument doesn't fit with what you find acceptable.

You are more than welcome:)

Those musicians are onboard to do a job and not to have fun or babysit your teen.

And here is the reason people are half afraid to ask questions or post anything on cruise critic nasty smart alec comments like above in response to a question. Thank god a lot of people in life have the attitude if you dont have anything nice to say keep your opinions to yourself.:D

If I were you, I'd walk right up to the Calypso band just as they're ready to take a break and just talk with them--they'd be the ones to offer help, if they are interested and/or able at the time. They do not get a lot of time off as they do other jobs, but I'd go straight to the horses mouth. At the very least your son would get to chat with them a little.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

I've got to say, though, how disappointed I am in some of the responses. I have no problem with anyone disagreeing- but it would have been nice if the response had been something constructive along the lines of "Probably not a good idea- they are working really hard and don't have time" or "Imagine if everyone asked if their 6 year old who had taken 3 months of piano could play in the lounge" etc., which would have all been valid points to raise. I should also note that this was floated as just a suggestion- I would have agreed that some snark was warranted if I'd come back from the cruise and was outraged that they refused to let him take over the pan in the middle of a big party. Instead, I was looking to see if there was a low-keyed way to make it work.

But my first response was eye-rolling- a signal to all of the more experienced cruisers how ignorant or unreasonable I am. There's some irony that my son is mature and well-mannered enough to treat people with respect, but some folks here go for the Junior High response.

I come to CC looking to learn from the experience of those who have cruised more than I have. Yup, there are things that you know more about than I do. Yup, there are things that I might not have thought of. Yup, my idea might be unreasonable if I thought about it. But I keep seeing on thread after thread attacks on the OP which boil down to "I'd never have been stupid enough to get in that situation". No kidding- we're here to get smarter- which is hard to do when you're afraid an innocent question will be met with condescension.

I can't remember the last time I saw a steel pan on an RCI ship, 2003 maybe?? Everything is synthesized now. The "steel drum" sound comes from the push of a button. I have seen them in the ports but it's been a long time since I've seen on on the ship. I love the sound of a steel pan and long for the days of sitting around the pool listening to them play.

We're sailing on AOS at the end of March (which can't come soon enough as I watch the huge flakes of snow coming down rapidy), and had a somewhat unusual question. My 16 year old son is a percussionist, and was at a summer camp the past two years where he learned to play the steel pan. In fact, we're in the process of ordering one for him.

I know that he'd love to hang out with the musicians a bit, and maybe even jam with them during set up or rehearsal (well, he'd LOVE to perform to, but...). Is there any possibility of getting him set up? Any idea how I'd go about it?

Thanks!

We were on AOS in January and none of the bands had a steel pan player, so that kind of makes this whole thing a moot point.This may have changed since we were onboard. However, depending on which ports you are going to there will be steel drum bands playing at some of the docks. There was one in Barbados in front of the cruise terminal and the Hell's Gate Steel Drum Band was on the dock in Antigua.

I'm a professional drummer/percussionist for 40+ years and have talked with many of the drummers / performers on board the ships and all of them have been friendly and willing to "talk shop" for a while if you catch them on a break or when they are done performing. I've also been invited to sit in on occasion. Most of these guys really like to talk about their jobs and share information, particularly with the younger generation. Don't be afraid to approach them, the worst thing they can say is no.

I've also talked with the guys in Antigua, a little donation to the tip jar helps.

Your son may not get to play with anyone , I know I'm a little picky about who gets to play on my gear, but armed with a few good questions he should be able to at least engage in some conversation. The one thing I would advise is not to have "hey can I sit in " be part of the conversation, if they want to they will invite you to sit in.

I grew up in PR and the pan was the first instrument I learned to play. Homemade by a friends out of an old oil drum. I have sinced moved on to the guitar, piano, and banjo. I am glad to hear your son has an interest in music and that you are supportive. I would not trade the fun I have gotten out of music for a half million dollars.

Anyway, I think what I would do is suggest your son approach the band, let them know he is an aspiring player, and ask for their suggestions on what kind of drum to get, where to get it etc. That way he introduces himself and the conversation can develop naturally. If they click, perhaps the musicians will ask him if he wants to jam with them, but I would leave it up to the band.

The last thing I would do would be to contact RCL itself. If I was in a band I would be super PO'd if I got a directive from Miami telling me to let someone play with me. The Cruise Director is the guy in charge of all the entertainment. Another option would be to informally ask him if it would be OK for the kid to approach the band. There may be legitimate company policies that prohibit it, and that way you would know that before anyone is placed in an awkward position.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I can't remember the last time I saw a steel pan on an RCI ship, 2003 maybe?? Everything is synthesized now. The "steel drum" sound comes from the push of a button. I have seen them in the ports but it's been a long time since I've seen on on the ship. I love the sound of a steel pan and long for the days of sitting around the pool listening to them play.

Mega 4 uses one....but they're the best band around :) On Allure now.

The musicians onboard are working. Just like the waiters, the guest service agents, the housekeepers, etc. Would you ever think a person training to be a nurse would be allowed to shadow a nurse onboard? Or someone in hospitality school would be allowed to shadow Guest Services? No. Because it is kind of silly to think someone who is doing their job would want someone else "practicing" with them.

While several have submitted their well-formed opinions based on facts and personal expeience, allow me to do likewise.

My younger brother is an amatuer drummer and has been allowed to sit in with the band on two different cruises (one on Royal and one on NCL). He chatted the musicians up casually and asked about guests playing with them. In both instances someone got back to him and he was invited to sit in. On Royal it was with the show band duing a daytime performance and on NCL with one of the smaller combos that played in the evening in one of the lounges.

On a separate note: I would not object to the mods getting rid of this: :rolleyes:

It only serves to irritate people.

While several have submitted their well-formed opinions based on facts and personal expeience, allow me to do likewise.

My younger brother is an amatuer drummer and has been allowed to sit in with the band on two different cruises (one on Royal and one on NCL). He chatted the musicians up casually and asked about guests playing with them. In both instances someone got back to him and he was invited to sit in. On Royal it was with the show band duing a daytime performance and on NCL with one of the smaller combos that played in the evening in one of the lounges.

On a separate note: I would not object to the mods getting rid of this: :rolleyes:

It only serves to irritate people.

I totally agree. It's so unnecessary. And it is way overused on this forum.

While I don't disagree that the musicians are there for a job, it is not the same as someone trying to shadow the ship's nurse, waiter or bartender, they are musicians. Musicians for the most part love it when they see young people interested in their craft. It's one of those jobs where most parents wouldn't want their kid to grow up to want to be as a profession bc it traditionally doesn't make money, just like a dancer, or artist or isn't "honorable" like a doctor or lawyer. Point being, most musicians are musicians bc it's their passion, and not just a job. What do musicians do in their spare time? Jam sessions, just like chefs on their off time, talk about food, you think the stateroom attendants talk about cleaning products on their time off? No. I think it's great that this young person is into something so interesting as music. I say go for it and have him talk with the band. I'm sure any musician on board would love to talk with a young person about their mutual love of music.

On the Oasis my hubby got to play guitar on a song in Dazzles. They had a night where if you played an instrument or sang you could sign up and pick a song. Hubby was and still is thrilled that he got to play on the ship. Now he has changed his retirement plans to be a musician on a cruise ship.

Good luck and never say never.

Archived