Cunard previews 2014 Program

FIRELT5

Regarding the 2014 Cunard itineraries, here is article that might be of interest: http://www.etravelblackboardasia.com/article/89814/cunard-set-to-quotloosen-upquot

Partial quote from the article:

Feedback showed that first time cruisers viewed the Cunard option as "old fashioned and too formal", so the line plans to "loosen up" without saying goodbye to their heritage and traditions.

"We've got three beautiful young ships so we are going to talk a lot more about the exquisite dining...we are going to bring out our destinations to a greater degree and we are going to talk about the relaxation aspects," Mr Shanks said.

The ships will be using their time in Australia to get used to "loosening up", with Mr Shanks sharing that the Australian cruises allow them to relax a little more.

"We're in much warmer climates here so we've been allowing our ships to be a little more flexible with how formal they are. We still have our formal nights, but we limit the amount of formal nights we have," Mr Shanks said.

"The world is changing, people want to relax more and Cunard needs to move with the times."

Regarding the 2014 Cunard itineraries, here is article that might be of interest: http://www.etravelblackboardasia.com/article/89814/cunard-set-to-quotloosen-upquot

Partial quote from the article:

Feedback showed that first time cruisers viewed the Cunard option as "old fashioned and too formal", so the line plans to "loosen up" without saying goodbye to their heritage and traditions.

"We've got three beautiful young ships so we are going to talk a lot more about the exquisite dining...we are going to bring out our destinations to a greater degree and we are going to talk about the relaxation aspects," Mr Shanks said.

The ships will be using their time in Australia to get used to "loosening up", with Mr Shanks sharing that the Australian cruises allow them to relax a little more.

"We're in much warmer climates here so we've been allowing our ships to be a little more flexible with how formal they are. We still have our formal nights, but we limit the amount of formal nights we have," Mr Shanks said.

"The world is changing, people want to relax more and Cunard needs to move with the times."

The spiral downward continues.

Mr. Shanks has never understood what Cunard means. On his watch, tradition, history and heritage are being fettered away faster than ever.

Thank you for posting this, Salacia.

Does this mean that having already taken away one formal night from the transatlantic crossings, Cunard plans to abandon yet another? Although I have neither the temperament nor the sartorial splendor to enlist in the fashion police, I certainly hope that the "spiral downward" goes no further. It would only dim the luster of those wonderful sailings. Besides, however warm it may be down under, it's still usually quite chilly on the North Atlantic.

I understand, of course, that Cunard is a business and that it needs to attract passengers, but relaxed formality has long been one of its principal selling points. And, as far as I know (perhaps someone will correct me), Cunard has had little trouble filling its cabins. It is true that young people tend to be more casual than their elders. But this is not always the case. Moreover, it could be that Cunard has misread the signs of the times. The tide may just be beginning to inch back in the other direction. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324677204578184022807118216.html

Why can't they leave things alone.!! I like Cunard ships just the way that they are, and its the reason I book with them. We are waiting to book again for Christmas 2014 because we enjoy the atmosphere and the formal nights and the dressing up.!! Surely there are enough less formal ships around for passengers who like to be more casual, and by the same token I am sure that there are enough passengers around who, like me, like Cunard just as it is.!! I can't ever see the time when I want a rock climbing wall or a wave pool. :o Just good old fashioned elegance will do me nicely thanks.!:)

The spiral downward continues.

Mr. Shanks has never understood what Cunard means. On his watch, tradition, history and heritage are being fettered away faster than ever.

Thank you for posting this, Salacia.

How long do these presidents generally last? When are we due a new one?

If you want to dine in shorts and t shirts then book with another cruise line, not Cunard. There are enough of us who enjoy the 'dressing up' that Cunard shouldn't have to downgrade the ambience.

How long do these presidents generally last? When are we due a new one?

Hi Whitemarsh.

I am not sure what the shelf-life of cruise line presidents is. Shanks' predecessor, Carol Marlow, was around 3-4 years. He has been around since she went on to P&O in 2009.

Mr. Shanks seems to be making a bit too many reckless and alarming statements, most recently about relaxing the dress code. On his watch, Cunard is being dumbed down on all fronts. It's the proverbial slippery slope...the re-flagging of the ships, the cost-cutting (revenue producing) tactics, the relaxing of the dress code... what next?

Once the dress code is watered down, not much will arguably separate Cunard from other cruise lines. I would certainly choose Celebrity as a better value for the money than a more expensive but watered-down, over-hyped Cunard product.

Incidentally, I very much enjoyed reading your recent blog during your time on Queen Mary 2. You humorously and with great irony captured many of the same antics that I witnessed when I did a full world cruise on QE2 a few years ago.

Let's hope the spiral downward can be reversed. Keep up the good fight in the meantime.

Bobby

PS...Stop bad-mouthing QE2! She was a great ship in her time which you would have loved as well! ;)

Hi Whitemarsh.

I am not sure what the shelf-life of cruise line presidents is. Shanks' predecessor, Carol Marlow, was around 3-4 years. He has been around since she went on to P&O in 2009.

I don't know Shanks from a bar of soap, but it does seem that he has no real affinity for Cunard. It would explain all the changes he's making - as in if you don't like, or understand, the brand than you are going to change it to something more to your liking. That's just human nature.

Mr. Shanks seems to be making a bit too many reckless and alarming statements, most recently about relaxing the dress code. On his watch, Cunard is being dumbed down on all fronts. It's the proverbial slippery slope...the re-flagging of the ships, the cost-cutting (revenue producing) tactics, the relaxing of the dress code... what next?

Once the dress code is watered down, not much will arguably separate Cunard from other cruise lines. I would certainly choose Celebrity as a better value for the money than a more expensive but watered-down, over-hyped Cunard product.

It is a slippery slope, and despite what others may say, the atmosphere is different at night when everyone around you is in jeans, shorts and t-shirts. Dinner in the Britannia restaurant on the 9th Feb this year was a real eye opener. The restaurant was beautiful and the food & service were great, but there is nothing special about having dinner surrounded by people in jeans and t-shirts. I can get that atmosphere at McDonalds (for a lot less money).

I agree that removing the dress code or reducing it to just paying lip-service to the past (one formal night per sector) will result in Cunard being not that different to Celebrity or HAL. Which therefore, as you've pointed out, begs the question as to why anyone would pay more to sail on Cunard when a very similar experience can be had for less on other lines?

Incidentally, I very much enjoyed reading your recent blog during your time on Queen Mary 2. You humorously and with great irony captured many of the same antics that I witnessed when I did a full world cruise on QE2 a few years ago.

Let's hope the spiral downward can be reversed. Keep up the good fight in the meantime.

Bobby

PS...Stop bad-mouthing QE2! She was a great ship in her time which you would have loved as well! ;)

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just write what I see and am told. Obviously I have to leave some things out, but that's to be expected.

I don't mean to bad mouth QE2, I just get annoyed with the inference that cruising today is a waste of time because the QE2 was supposedly the last word in cruising. I do think that her time had come, the staterooms for example were past their use by date, but I still would have liked to have done at least one voyage on her to see what she was like.

But you're right, I'm sure I would have enjoyed QE2, I know for damn sure I would have appreciated the solo cabins that were available.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Peter Shanks. He's just the messenger. The Powers that Be stick Peter Shanks out front to take the flak. Where is Micky Arison?

Don't weaken Salacia. Remember the symbolism of your screen name and, most importantly, you are a New Yorker. Shanks is a wonk. Micky is with the Heat. The ship sails on, as Fellini stated...

Don't weaken Salacia. Remember the symbolism of your screen name and, most importantly, you are a New Yorker. Shanks is a wonk. Micky is with the Heat. The ship sails on, as Fellini stated...

laughing, can't type :D

I don't for one minute believe Carnival cares what we wear. The whole point of different brands is to serve different markets. I'm sure all they tell Peter is "we want x % Return On Investment", he then decides how Cunard meets that goal.

I don't for one minute believe Carnival cares what we wear. The whole point of different brands is to serve different markets. I'm sure all they tell Peter is "we want x % Return On Investment", he then decides how Cunard meets that goal.

With all due respect to Peter Shanks, I don't believe he decides how to meet the goal. Look to those with higher pay grades: they make the decisions, and then stick Peter Shanks in front of the cameras and "social media" like so much cannon fodder. If he did not convey what Corporate Headquarters wanted him to convey, he would have been removed. That his statements are contradictory is a reflection on the corporate message which seems to be shifting with the tides.

As far as Cunard caring what we wear: for years, Cunard promotions made hay out of the way passengers dressed. It cost Cunard nothing to encourage passengers to dress formally, put it made for great publicity shots. It's the passengers that made the events that Cunard promoted. I don't understand why Cunard would give up the golden goose.

That sounds like all other big bussiness.

If Cunard think they can make more by dumbing down they will do it.

I would suggest that they know more about running a successful cruise line than most on these boards.

David.

That sounds like all other big bussiness.

If Cunard think they can make more by dumbing down they will do it.

I would suggest that they know more about running a successful cruise line than most on these boards.

David.

Well no one ever went broke catering to the lowest common denominator, so maybe they're on to something.

So, they're going to fill the ships with all those people that currently whinge and moan about the dress code.....and they're not likely to whinge and moan about anything else are they. :rolleyes:

Looks like the future Cunard passengers are going to be a barrel of laughs to be around. Not!

I don't think Cunard is fooling anyone. If the bookings were where they wanted them, this apparent need to modernize wouldn't exist. I'm about to turn 40 and have sailed with Cunard 7 times. We like the tradition.

Cunard's public persona is one of walkers and wheelchairs. Knowing it really meant 'mature' we specifically chose Cunard because of it. We didn't want to hang out with tank tops, jeans and wet T shirt contests. We didn't want to be having a drink with a group of spring breakers at the next table. We chose Cunard because of their traditions and typical passenger list.

The reality is, there are not enough people like us. Perhaps Cunard fears the dwindling number of 'typical' passengers will leave a vacuum and believe they are being proactive. There obviously aren't enough people that want the product they are or have offered, especially over three ships.

Incidentally, the same concerns are being expressed on the Crystal boards (the line has just gone to optional formal nights) and were being expressed on the Silversea boards. Posters on those boards also argue that by not retaining their (increasingly) unique brand as a classic cruise experience with formal dress they will lose their current customers. We will see. Crystal has apparently been filling its ships more (perhaps due to going all-inclusive).

I like Cunard just the way it is (I am plannnig for a 3rd cruise on the QM2 next year), but I would not really mind if they did away with the formal dress code and do not look down on those who want a vacation that does not require as much effort (and baggage) as is required for all the formal dressing up. I think one needs to take all these dire warnings with a grain of salt. There is always change and nothing will stop it. (I remember all the concern when the QE2 was retired and complaints about QM2 not being a real ocean liner, and then complaints about the Queen Victoria not being a classic liner like QM2.) If changes are needed to keep the line going, so be it. The change I reget is that Cunard is no longer flying under the British flag--that is one tradition that I am sorry to see go (although it makes absolutely no difference to the sailing experience and I am sure makes the line more economically viable (in some way or other)).

Incidentally, the same concerns are being expressed on the Crystal boards (the line has just gone to optional formal nights) and were being expressed on the Silversea boards. Posters on those boards also argue that by not retaining their (increasingly) unique brand as a classic cruise experience with formal dress they will lose their current customers. We will see. Crystal has apparently been filling its ships more (perhaps due to going all-inclusive).

I like Cunard just the way it is (I am plannnig for a 3rd cruise on the QM2 next year), but I would not really mind if they did away with the formal dress code and do not look down on those who want a vacation that does not require as much effort (and baggage) as is required for all the formal dressing up. I think one needs to take all these dire warnings with a grain of salt. There is always change and nothing will stop it. (I remember all the concern when the QE2 was retired and complaints about QM2 not being a real ocean liner, and then complaints about the Queen Victoria not being a classic liner like QM2.) If changes are needed to keep the line going, so be it. The change I reget is that Cunard is no longer flying under the British flag--that is one tradition that I am sorry to see go (although it makes absolutely no difference to the sailing experience and I am sure makes the line more economically viable (in some way or other)).

How interesting! Thanks for your thoughtful posting and for the information about other lines. What you say has more than a little merit, but still I don't think that it touches the root of our concern. It's not that we look down on people who prefer a casual vacation. I know that when I head to the beach or go to the mountains I don't bring my tuxedo with me. Indeed, until I made my first crossing on QM2 two years ago, I hadn't worn my tuxedo in ages and my wife hadn't owned a gown since her high school prom. And that, I believe, is the point. For most of us a Cunard cruise is a special occasion, one that we want to celebrate by dressing up, and an occasion that offers us the only opportunity we may have all year to do so.

You are right, of course: times change and fashions change. Some relaxation of the rules may be in order And you may be right as well that dress code or none, Cunard will be able to fill its ships. Were Cunard to eliminate the code—which, it is important to note, Peter Shanks assures us it will not—perhaps even more people would sail Cunard than do now (since we're not privy to the numbers, this is all speculation). Even so, those of us who treasure the ambience that formal nights give to Cunard sailings would be all the poorer for it.

So, they're going to fill the ships with all those people that currently whinge and moan about the dress code.....

You don't think you're going a bit over the top here? What he has said, and we must wait to see how this works in practice in coming months and years, is that the dress code will be relaxed a little, particularly in warmer regions.

What's not to like? you still get your formal nights, just not quite so many. Will this ruin your whole cruise?

And if you are forced to ditch Cunard because of this, where are you going to go?

David.

Archived