Carnival Sunshine - No thalassotherapy pool or rainforest shower!

Laurin612

My family and I recently booked a Cloud 9 spa balcony room on the Sunshine. When I booked, I assumed (wrongly, apparently) that it would have the same features that we enjoyed with our Cloud 9 Spa balcony room on the Magic on our last cruise. The extra fees are the same per day.

A few days ago someone posted a question here on Cruisecritic about whether the Sunshine would have a thalassotherapy pool, and some folks posted that it does not. Of course, we wanted confirmation, so decided to call Carnival and ask.

My husband called Carnival this morning to inquire and they confirmed that indeed, it will not have a thalassotherapy pool. It also will not have a rainforest shower. Those two things were our favorite things about the spa access included with a Cloud 9 spa room--I have severe arthritis and the t-pool really seemd to help my arthritis. I am very disappointed and really feel like I have been sold a bill of goods! :mad:

The Carnival rep that he spoke with said that access to "floatation therapy pods" are included. I have not seen that listed anywhere. Does anyone know anything about this? :confused:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like there's a T-Pool...

While doing a mock booking for my January Sunshine cruise to see if I wanted to upgrade I got this notice when I mock booked a Cloud 9 Spa balcony:

1200: Good call!! That’s not just any stateroom you’ve got there — that’s a Cloud 9 Spa stateroom! Enjoy your complimentary spa access, including Thalassotherapy Pool and Thermal Suites.

While doing a mock booking for my January Sunshine cruise to see if I wanted to upgrade I got this notice when I mock booked a Cloud 9 Spa balcony:

1200: Good call!! That’s not just any stateroom you’ve got there — that’s a Cloud 9 Spa stateroom! Enjoy your complimentary spa access, including Thalassotherapy Pool and Thermal Suites.

Standard Carnival Boilerplate. For the Sunshine it is incorrect.

They are going to have a lot of angry people...

They are going to have a lot of angry people...

Yep, I agree - they really need to change that.

Honestly, I've never had the pleasure of using the T-Pool but, after reading all of the raves here I was super interested.

I've already booked a Lido balcony on Sunshine and was thinking of upgrading to a Spa balcony but probably not now - even though 'smoke free' balconies are super tempting to us.

I think we'll have more fun on Lido deck, hopefully we don't get smoked off of our balcony.

The thalassotherapy pool is the reason why I would book a Cloud 9 Spa cabin. The Sunshine does not have one, so I will be on the Lido deck. I can't see spending the extra money if the most important thing to me is missing.

My family and I recently booked a Cloud 9 spa balcony room on the Sunshine. When I booked, I assumed (wrongly, apparently) that it would have the same features that we enjoyed with our Cloud 9 Spa balcony room on the Magic on our last cruise. The extra fees are the same per day.

A few days ago someone posted a question here on Cruisecritic about whether the Sunshine would have a thalassotherapy pool, and some folks posted that it does not. Of course, we wanted confirmation, so decided to call Carnival and ask.

My husband called Carnival this morning to inquire and they confirmed that indeed, it will not have a thalassotherapy pool. It also will not have a rainforest shower. Those two things were our favorite things about the spa access included with a Cloud 9 spa room--I have severe arthritis and the t-pool really seemd to help my arthritis. I am very disappointed and really feel like I have been sold a bill of goods! :mad:

The Carnival rep that he spoke with said that access to "floatation therapy pods" are included. I have not seen that listed anywhere. Does anyone know anything about this? :confused:

probably not enough room on the ship for those features with all the extra cabins they are adding.:(

Bill

Please forgive me as I am not trying to sound harsh, but you always have to check before assuming anything. I have recently just found out by reading the different posts (as you have done) that none of the ships are really the same. If that was something you were really looking forward to, just a simple phone call to Carnival to confirm that would have saved you some heartache. Again, not trying to be a meanie, but you should always check out these things before booking. It's not really the fault of Carnival. Good luck, I'm going on the Sunshine next March.

If you go to carnival.com and look at the deck plans for the Sunshine you will see the thermal suite listed but no thalassotherapy pool. You really do have to check the specific ship deck plans to find out if something is available.

Please forgive me as I am not trying to sound harsh, but you always have to check before assuming anything. I have recently just found out by reading the different posts (as you have done) that none of the ships are really the same. If that was something you were really looking forward to, just a simple phone call to Carnival to confirm that would have saved you some heartache. Again, not trying to be a meanie, but you should always check out these things before booking. It's not really the fault of Carnival. Good luck, I'm going on the Sunshine next March.

Just a simple call to Carnival. That in itself can be a problem, you need to get a knowledgeable Carnival person on the phone. Try to confirm by other means such as Cruise Critic Boards, then call Carnival to confirm your research, then call Carnival again and hope you get the same answers. Yes you will get different answers from Carnival PVPs, so use caution...

I sincerely hope the information regarding the floatation therapy pods is correct. Haven't heard about those on Carnival. I absolutely love them...very relaxing. That said, if you are in the least claustrophobic (likely SIC) you will not like them. You are immersed in salt water where you float in an enclosed pod. I get out feeling like I have had 8 hours sleep.

Jim

It seems like if these were included on the Sunshine (a first for Carnival?), there would be an indication on the plan. My understanding is there is usually strict rules about pre and post showering to use this type of pod. Other options are more of an "open room" idea. Either way, there would have to be substantial real estate....

The thalassotherapy pool is the reason why I would book a Cloud 9 Spa cabin. The Sunshine does not have one, so I will be on the Lido deck. I can't see spending the extra money if the most important thing to me is missing.

+1

I live near enough to Port Canaveral to drive and cruise on the Dream for that very reason. I don't care about the ports but use the T-pool, steam rooms, and showers. Without them I am not as much interested in cruising the Caribbean and don't care to spend more to fly or drive south to another ship. If I have to fly anywhere is will be for an overseas cruise. Even then I will be looking for the same type of amenities on what ever cruise line I use if available.

Cheers!

It seems like if these were included on the Sunshine (a first for Carnival?), there would be an indication on the plan. My understanding is there is usually strict rules about pre and post showering to use this type of pod. Other options are more of an "open room" idea. Either way, there would have to be substantial real estate....

I expect you are probably right. This seems like something Carnival would be advertising. A man has to have a dream though. Sad that this is mine.

Jim

I ended up in a spa balcony cabin on the Sunshine for the May 26 cruise but only because with the sales that were happening I was able to upgrade to one on deck 11 while receiving $350 in OBC. I hadn't planned on really using the spa much but having access will be nice if nothing else than just a quiet place to relax after a long port day. The T-pool would have been nice but not a deal breaker for me. Probably wouldn't have paid extra for the spa balcony but getting it and the OBC makes it a great deal for me.

Jim

I ended up in a spa balcony cabin on the Sunshine for the May 26 cruise but only because with the sales that were happening I was able to upgrade to one on deck 11 while receiving $350 in OBC. I hadn't planned on really using the spa much but having access will be nice if nothing else than just a quiet place to relax after a long port day. The T-pool would have been nice but not a deal breaker for me. Probably wouldn't have paid extra for the spa balcony but getting it and the OBC makes it a great deal for me.

Jim

If you get a free upgrade, you don't get access to the spa.

I don't know if that rule applies in this situation, so does anyone know the exact answer?

If you get a free upgrade, you don't get access to the spa.

I don't know if that rule applies in this situation, so does anyone know the exact answer?

The upgrade I did was a purchased upgrade, it was just at a lower price. It was not a free upgrade like one of the promotions that says "free 2 category upgrade." I was in an Aft balcony and upgraded my cabin to the spa balcony which at that time was $350 less than the aft balcony so I paid the same thing for the cabin as anyone else who wanted to purchase the spa balcony cabin without a free upgrade. It just so happens that I had already paid Carnival $450 more than the cost of the cabin so they refunded that as OBC.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

But you shouldn't have to check to make sure that what is said on the corporate website is true. If it SAYS there is a t-pool, there should BE a t-pool. (and I don't think you sounded harsh and don't mean to be confrontational either! lol - I would be FURIOUS, though, if the site told me I made a good choice and could use the t-pool.....that doesn't exist!)

Archived