Second Celebrity Cruise Ship Fails CDC Inspection

LauraS

Wow, an even lower score than the Summit which I'm going on. Celebrity better start getting their luxury act together. With Carnival getting bad press of late, you would think every cruise line would be extra careful to avoid any bad press and consumer mistrust.

What happens to a ship that fails the CDC inspection?

From the CDC site:

VSP requires all ships to submit corrective action statements for deficiencies. This vessel submitted the following corrective action statement; however, VSP does not verify that the deficiencies have been corrected until after conducting the next vessel inspection or re-inspection.

The emphasis is mine. And, IMO, this is the weakness of this system. The ship's who fail the inspection should have a spot surprise inspection with a "different team" of inspectors. (And within a reasonable amount of time - not the next scheduled inspection or reinspection)

1) The ship should not know the inspectors are coming for obvious reasons.

2) A different set of inspectors would insure the "inspectors" are looking at the same set of discrepancies, with the same set of interpretive eyes (interpreting the rules exactly the same).

From the CDC site:

VSP requires all ships to submit corrective action statements for deficiencies. This vessel submitted the following corrective action statement; however, VSP does not verify that the deficiencies have been corrected until after conducting the next vessel inspection or re-inspection.

The emphasis is mine. And, IMO, this is the weakness of this system. The ship's who fail the inspection should have a spot surprise inspection with a "different team" of inspectors. (And within a reasonable amount of time - not the next scheduled inspection or reinspection)

1) The ship should not know the inspectors are coming for obvious reasons.

2) A different set of inspectors would insure the "inspectors" are looking at the same set of discrepancies, with the same set of interpretive eyes (interpreting the rules exactly the same).

I certainly agree with your post DocJohnB and hope someone from Celebrity monitors these forums and will follow your lead! :D

I am surprised there has been nothing on these boards about the Celebrity Infinity, which had norovirus onboard when it arrived in Fort Lauderdale last Monday. It was very late leaving in the evening, I assume because of deep cleaning and inspections.

Hoping Celebrity will respond quickly and in a positive manner to this, both specifically on the Century AND to maybe realize that the cost of being proactive and implementing AND having crew follow the rules is better than bad press and trying to correct after the fact.

The bathroom in the galley is disturbing to me as, IMHO, it was locked by a supervisor to prevent use and have crew working harder vs potential abuse/taking breaks, guessing some crew had in past. So instead of dealing with specific crew member(s), if that was the case, they punish all the crew.

Again, HOPE Celebrity corporate will work with ship officers on this.

I am surprised there has been nothing on these boards about the Celebrity Infinity, which had norovirus onboard when it arrived in Fort Lauderdale last Monday. It was very late leaving in the evening, I assume because of deep cleaning and inspections.

Don't be surprised, (lol)...It's not good for business! Why do you suppose nothing was mentioned anywhere about the Summit failing inspection? I just happen to check the CDC Inspection pages before each cruise, and it was pure accident that I even found it! :rolleyes:

Kity

Archived