Allure Photos - A different perspective.

Before our May 26th sailing on the Allure I purchased an inexpensive manual 8mm ultra-wide fisheye lens to play with on the ship. Since we had sailed on the Allure before I thought it might provide a different look than my previous photos, here are some of the results.

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4439.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

WhiteSox Fan - NICE photos!! This looks to be the Rokinon (or equivalent) 8mm fish-eye? Were you able to set aperture on the lens, set Aperture-priority at that aperture on the camera, and let camera set the shutter speed? thanks, Ken

WhiteSox Fan - NICE photos!! This looks to be the Rokinon (or equivalent) 8mm fish-eye? Were you able to set aperture on the lens, set Aperture-priority at that aperture on the camera, and let camera set the shutter speed? thanks, Ken

Yes, I bought the Bower lens since it was cheaper ($249 from B & H) but the Bower & Rokinon are both made by Samyang in Korea. This is a fully manual lens and there is no electrical connection between the camera and the lens. If you look at the EXIF data it shows the focal length at 50mm.

You set the aperture with a manual aperture ring and you have to manually focus. Once the aperture is set my Canon would meter through the lens so you can use the aperture priority or manual mode without problem. I shot most photos with the aperture at f8 or above. The DOF is large enough that you just set the focus between 1.5m and infinity and everything is in focus. My body is a Canon 7D, on the Canon this lens has a field of view of 167 deg horizontally. On the Nikons and others it is 180 deg. If I really zoom in the lens seems a little soft but unless you really enlarge the photo you don't notice.

Absolutely wonderful pictures! Most of them are pretty clear, but where were 4553 and 4554 taken?

This ship is an engineering marvel. I'm a little terrified to be cruising on her...she's certainly very different from my first cruise on Carnival's tiny little Celebration about 18 years ago.

What a fantastic and unique view of everything that you took, really enjoyed it and looking forward to more. Thanks for thinking outside the box!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Absolutely wonderful pictures! Most of them are pretty clear, but where were 4553 and 4554 taken?

This ship is an engineering marvel. I'm a little terrified to be cruising on her...she's certainly very different from my first cruise on Carnival's tiny little Celebration about 18 years ago.

I put did label those two but it is hard to see between the photos. The first is in the Bow & Stern pub, the second inside Bolero's. Both are located on the Royal Promenade.

Archived