Behind the Fun Tour on the Splendor

Cyber Kat

I started posting this in the More things Splendor thread, but it was getting long and I thought it deserved a thread of it's own. My sister and I did this on the 6/10/13 Splendor Cruise. It was $95 and we signed up right away as soon as the Shore Excursion desk opened.

We gathered in the Library at 8:45, where Johnel, our excellent tour guide, gave us the rundown about what we were going to do. He had us form a single line and one of the security people wanded us and checked for cameras and cell phones (not allowed - no pictures).

He led us to the front of the ship where there was a chain and a sign that said "crew only." He opened it and we got to through! He took us up to the very bow of the ship where the crew deck lounge area is. They have 2 hot tubs and lounge chairs there. He told us about the ship's bell. It's more of a tradition than anything else - they only ring it now when the ship is "retired." In the center of the area is where they keep the spare anchor. It's BIG :D. There are rectangular areas marked on the floor and those are the muster stations for any crew members who are not involved with seeing that the passengers get off the ship safely.

From there we went to the dressing rooms for the show dancers - one room, very small. They do their own hair and make-up. We got to see the costumes and the wigs, and the head dancer - sorry I'm bad with names - gave us some information about the dance troops and how they operate. She said they do 3-4 month tours and then they are off for a few weeks and can sign up for another tour. They can request a particular ship but whether they get that ship depends on which show they are doing and if they are suited for it. They spend about a month learning the routines with the troop that's on the ship before they take over. The dance troops and the musical acts are the only groups that come on and leave together. Everyone else comes and goes as individuals.

Dancers and entertainers get better cabins on higher decks. Oh and they alter the shows in rough waters, and cancel if the head of the troop decides it's too dangerous.

We climbed up a ramp that the dancers use - to the stage. The guy in charge of all the stage, lighting and technical stuff explained how they move the sets in and out, and how they anchor them down. He explained about the lighting and - this is interesting - pyrotechnics! He is in charge of any pyrotechnics used in the show. Only certified people can even touch any of them, and he is in charge of the certifications.

I'm trying to remember all this, so bear with me. I may get things out of order. After that we went down some stairs and I think this was the point where he took us to A deck - which is below the water line. There we got to see the laundry (Big machines!). Only towels go in the dryers. There are blue bins for dirty laundry and beige bins for clean laundry. For sanitary reasons, they NEVER use the same bins for clean and dirty laundry. They are always kept separate.

We met the guy in charge of the washing and the woman in charge of the whole laundry operation. There are 2 pool/beach towels for every passenger - over 7000 all together. They have a machine that folds them and we had a demo - I want one! Zip-zip - 2 seconds and the towel is folded neatly!

Sheets are not put in a dryer, they go through a mangle (If you have read Stephen King's short story about the mangle - this machine was more than a bit frightening!) The wet sheets are fed into one side where they are steamed and dried flat. They come out the side of the machine where arms push them into folds and come out, like the towels, neatly folded! No fitted sheets on a cruise ship. Damn - I wanted a machine to fold those suckers :D

From the Laundry we went past, but not into the brig, and the morgue (did not want to go in there!

I'm thinking from there, we went back up to 0 deck - which is above water. This is also the deck where you exit at the ports.

Johnel took us into the Team Member Training Room. This was kind of neat. They have a number of computers set up for training. Each one has several language versions of the Rosetta Stone software installed, so the workers can brush up on their English or learn another language all together. I think they had French, Italian and Portuguese - not sure about German or Russian, but I think so.

They can also take college courses for free. If they aspire to a management job with Carnival, all the courses are there.

There were no empty crew berths, so he showed us photos on a screen. The rooms are not bad. Two to a room with bunks, much like many of the interior cabins. Nothing fancy, but they can bring posters, and photos and other personal things to make it more homey. There are closets, a desk area and a bathroom.

Crew are mostly paired up with others in their same job function, but they can request a different room mate. If a crew member has a boyfriend or girlfriend on board, they can room together. In the case of a married couple, they can get married persons room with a regular double bed. He said that Carnival tries to keep couples together where possible.

The upper level staff (he used a term that I forget) get paid a salary. It's done direct deposit and they get a debit type card. They have free access to the account online and can make funds transfers to family or their local bank at home. All of the other staff - kitchen workers, wait staff, room staff, cleaners, laundry workers, people that move supplies around, get ONLY paid from the gratuities. They each get a percentage of that tip money - NOTHING else.

So when you remove tips because you didn't eat in the MDR or you didn't like something your room steward did, or you think you only want to give individually to people who served you - all the other hard working crew members get less money for that cruise. So please, I ask you, think about that when you see those gratuities on your S&S account.

Quite frankly, I think the cruise lines should just add that money into the cruise fare, and pay these people a regular wage. People who aren't interacting with the public shouldn't be punished because your cabin steward forgot to put a chocolate on your bed, or because your waiter didn't bring the food fast enough. Those tips are not TIPS the way most gratuities work.

I never thought about removing tips before, but after this - I'm going to be one of those people arguing vehemently about NOT removing tips!

I'm going to stop here and continue on later

Moving right along ...

After the training room, we went to the crew mess. I expected it to look a all institutional like a high school cafeteria, but it was really quite nice. There were booths and tables and the booths had little dividers on the top like they do in the main buffet area on the Lido. Johnel explained that it was open 24/7, all the food was served buffet style and that they had to clean up after themselves.

He also took us to the Petty Officers mess, which had set tables and a buffet area, but they also had waiters and stewards in training who waited on them.

From there we got to see the Captain's dining room, which was a nice intimate room with a table set for about 12 with the same dishes and glassware that is used in the MDR on the ship. They had no buffet - all waiter service :)

We also saw the internet cafe that the crew uses. They have to pay for time, except for banking services, the Carnival web site and one other site that I can't recall. There was also a small book exchange area where crew members could borrow books and leave books for others. There were some games. A couple of couches and desks for those with their own laptops or tablets. There was a wall of bins with aspirin packets, I think cold remedies and ... condoms :rolleyes:

To be continued ...

Next Johnel took us into the crew lounge - which was quite nice! We had a little break for rest rooms and snacks - coffee, tea, juice, water and pastries.

The lounge was a nice size with a bar, Foosball table, pool table (yes - a pool table at sea!), big screen TVs and lots of seating. Johnel told us that crew are limited to 3 drinks, just in case they have to help respond to an emergency of some sort. I found this reassuring ;)

Much of our meandering through this part of the ship took place along I95 - the name most ships have for the bow to stern passage way. And we were still on Deck 0.

Outside the lounge (at least that's where I think it was) they had a board with the Team Member of the Month and the Leader of the Month (team member who shows the most leadership skills). Crew members can vote or suggest other team members and supervisors can nominate those who work under them. They get a prize for being the number one for the month - I think it was $1000. At the end of the year they vote for a Team Member and Leader of the Year. Those winners get a choice of having a family member join them for a cruise on any ship they pick (including all plane tickets and other transport costs) or $5000. We asked Johnel which one he would chose, and he said without hesitation - "The MONEY!"

There was also a board with comments from passengers that had been taken from the surveys - so fill out those surveys and give your favorite crew members a pat on the back (and maybe some more money in their pockets!)

I'm trying to remember where we went next, so forgive me if I get the order mixed up. I think it was at this point that we met Olexie (I'm sure I have his name spelled wrong, but it sounded like Alexi - even though it wasn't spelt that way ) - the chief provisions officer. The guy in charge of all the Stuff :D

He took us through the area where everything that comes on to the ship goes first. The area was fairly empty because we were nearing the end of our cruise, but Olexie told us that it would be jam packed again in NY.

There was a point that we could stand and see one side of the ship to the other and I thought it looked narrower than I thought it would. There were a number of bicycles against one of the bulkheads and Olexie explained that they were for the crew members to use in port - for exercise, sightseeing, errand running - whatever. They needed to reserve one and that was it!

We visited the Beer, Wine and Soda storage area next. We had hoped for some free samples, but that wasn't happening! They go through a LOT of these beverages - but I'm not really good at remembering those statistics.

Next we moved on to the various food prep areas. There is a vegetable room where all the veggies are peeled and prepped - except for potatoes - they got their own room. I don't know why potatoes get their own room - none of us thought to ask! There were 3 big Hobart peelers. Olexie told us how many potatoes they could peel in a minute, but the numbers didn't stick with me :cool:

He also told us that only one person peeled and chopped onions and that they were done by hand and the person wore special gloves and a face mask. I would NOT want to peel the onions required for a cruise ship - not no way - not no how!

Our next stop was the meat locker and let me tell you it was freezing in there! Just outside the meat locker, was the defrosting area, that wasn't quite as cold as the meat locker, but it was pretty cold.

They only store beef in the meat locker. Poultry and fish have their own separate storage area.

To be continued once more ...

We went to the kitchens next, and we met a man who has been carving fruit and vegetables for 18 years on Carnival ships. He showed us a watermelon that he had done, and then he demonstrated how to make a flower out of a beet. Not something I ever would have thought to do, but it was interesting. When he was done, he gave some of us a beet flower from some of the ones he had already done. If you do the tour, try NOT to get handed one of the flowers. I was constantly worried, I'd get beet juice on something - mostly me! And it's difficult to applaud with a beet on a stick in your hand :rolleyes:

We watched one of the workers decorate one of the yummy cakes they sell through Bon Voyage. I was hoping we'd get a taste, but that didn't happen. :(

We also saw giant soup kettles and one in which they were making stock from scratch. We saw a guy carrying 16 - yes SIXTEEN of those covered plates they bring your dinner out on. I can't imagine trying to balance more than two and he had 16 on one tray.

We saw the food assembly area, where the plates are passed along and various bits are added. Veggies here, potatoes, meat or fish, then garnish. Johnel told us that many of the workers spend a brief time working this line, even if they are not in food prep - just to get a feel for it.

The waiters line up there and pick up the plates for their tables here as they are done. I would have liked to have seen more, but we were on to the Engine Control room next. All the guys were getting excited about this part of the tour :D

I actually found it more interesting than I thought I would. We met Antonio Messina, the Chief Engineer and he gave us an informative talk on how the ship worked.

The Splendor is a diesel electric boat (he used the word "boat" in this context). There are 6 diesel engines that generate electricity and the engines that actually drive the boat, run on electricity. The diesels generate electricity for everything on the ship that uses electricity.

The engine control room was spotless! Everything was white. There was a long desk like area that was lined with computers and over head there were huge computer monitors the size of your average big screen TV.

The first one had various things running on it and the screen kept changing. Mostly it showed deck plans. The second screen showed an interactive diagram of the diesels, the generators, the transformers and the engines.

The ship was currently doing 17 knots (which was our average speed through out the cruise). It took only 3 of the diesels to make that speed and provide the current electricity needs. Two of the diesels were getting routine maintenance and we were able to see this on another TV/monitor. The last diesel was on stand by, ready to come on line at a moments notice if more speed or more electricity was needed, or if something happened with one of the diesels currently on line.

We got to see some more of the engine rooms on the TV/monitors - they have cameras in the engine rooms so they can see what's happening. There are two engine rooms with the diesels and the engines split between them.

I was expecting to see this room look like mission control room for the space shuttle or something. They had the equipment for it, but there was one guy and Antonio - that was it.

He also mentioned that there are 2 sets of thrusters on either side of the ship - forward and aft for docking and maneuvering.

Oh and I forgot to mention - we also saw the waste/recycling center, but we didn't go in (I was glad about that) I'm not sure where on the tour this was. Johnel told us that they recycle everything they can and that Carnival tries to be green where ever possible. Someone asked about the leftover food, and Johnel confirmed what I'd heard. They grind it up very fine and when they are far enough out to sea they spread it out and the fish eat it.

We also saw the crew gym back when we were doing the various messes and the lounge. It's small but has all the equipment that the passnger gym has. Later on that day, my sister and I were getting photos from the photo shop and the guy who helped us said, "Weren't you on the Behind the Fun tour this morning?" We said, "yes!" He said, "I was on the tread mill when you came in!"

So I'll continue on later with ... the Bridge!

Thank you for the tour! so now that you went behind the scenes do you have a different take on things... We all know and appreciate all that is going on, but now seeing it first hand do you look differently at it? (like seeing how the magician does his tricks)

Thank you for the tour! so now that you went behind the scenes do you have a different take on things... We all know and appreciate all that is going on, but now seeing it first hand do you look differently at it? (like seeing how the magician does his tricks)

I was really impressed with how much work goes on behind the scenes. And also how much Carnival makes all the workers aware that they are part of the big picture. I know that with many jobs - at least many of the ones I've had - you don't see that big picture or where your job fits into it. All of the people we met seemed to be very aware of that. It seemed that there was a lot of emphasis on how important their job was to the passengers enjoyment of the cruise. Just my personal opinion but I think that's good for morale.

I think as passengers, we don't realize how much support, goes on throughout the ship that we never come in contact with. I just found it all fascinating.

So the Bridge was every bit as cool as you could imagine! It's a huge, mostly empty space. There are banks of equipment along the forward windows - with a walking space between the equipment and the windows. There were 3 officers (one of them was a woman! YAY) on the Bridge besides Captain Pagano.

He asked who was expecting to see a huge wooden ship's wheel - none of us were :). Instead, there is a tiny wheel about the size of a video game controller. And lots of radar and weather dials and gauges. All the windows have windshield wipers. Someone asked about them and the Captain said, that they don't use them much. He said they are pretty much useless.

Someone asked about the shelf unit with flags tucked neatly into the cubbiess. The captain said the are mostly ceremonial, but if all else fails they can send a signal by flag and they are all trained to send and read the various messages.

On the second sea day, they had made an announcement - in the cabins, which was a little unnerving at first - that we would be stopping and maneuvering over to investigate a large hunk of something floating in the water.

p1738848603-3.jpg

We sailed close to it, and it was clear that there wasn't anyone in the water, so we proceeded on with our cruise. Nothing to see here, move along!

Of course, we asked the captain about it. He said that they had spotted it off in the distance and were under obligation to investigate - just in case. Had there been people in the water, we would have rescued them, of course, but since it was just flotsam, they just reported it to the Coast Guard. It could be a hazard to small craft - especially in the dark.

It didn't look like a part of a boat and it didn't appear to have any markings on it. The Captain said he thought it looked like the nose of a small plane, and upon reflection, I tend to agree. It did seem to be made out of a lighter material than a boat might be. Not a good thought that it might be part of a small plane though.

We had our picture taken with the Captain, and then he turned us over to his officers who answered a few more questions. One person asked the question I had wondered about. How they can say we'll be in Grand Turk at 9am or Half Moon Cay at 7am.

He showed us a computer set up that they plug in the port, the distance and what time they want to arrive - the program tells them how fast to go. If they run into bad weather or have to detour like we did for the flotsam, the program calculates how fast they have to go to make up for it. Nice - I could use one of those for my morning commute :D

I asked about the harbor pilots - whether they actually steered or just offered advice. The officer who was answering questions, said that it depended on the pilot and the particular port. In any case - the pilot is in charge and they must obey his (or maybe her!) orders.

Johnel took us over to one of 3 control stations on the bridge. There is the main one and two auxiliary ones - one on each side of the ship. Nice to know there is redundancy - just in case!

There was a dry erase marker board behind the station he showed us that had the number of passengers listed for our cruise 3523 (I think) and the number of crew - I forget.

And then we were on to our last stop ... the Pinnacle Steak House!

So the Bridge was every bit as cool as you could imagine! It's a huge, mostly empty space. There are banks of equipment along the forward windows - with a walking space between the equipment and the windows. There were 3 officers (one of them was a woman! YAY) on the Bridge besides Captain Pagano.

He asked who was expecting to see a huge wooden ship's wheel - none of us were :). Instead, there is a tiny wheel about the size of a video game controller. And lots of radar and weather dials and gauges. All the windows have windshield wipers. Someone asked about them and the Captain said, that they don't use them much. He said they are pretty much useless.

Someone asked about the shelf unit with flags tucked neatly into the cubbiess. The captain said the are mostly ceremonial, but if all else fails they can send a signal by flag and they are all trained to send and read the various messages.

On the second sea day, they had made an announcement - in the cabins, which was a little unnerving at first - that we would be stopping and maneuvering over to investigate a large hunk of something floating in the water.

p1738848603-3.jpg

We sailed close to it, and it was clear that there wasn't anyone in the water, so we proceeded on with our cruise. Nothing to see here, move along!

Of course, we asked the captain about it. He said that they had spotted it off in the distance and were under obligation to investigate - just in case. Had there been people in the water, we would have rescued them, of course, but since it was just flotsam, they just reported it to the Coast Guard. It could be a hazard to small craft - especially in the dark.

It didn't look like a part of a boat and it didn't appear to have any markings on it. The Captain said he thought it looked like the nose of a small plane, and upon reflection, I tend to agree. It did seem to be made out of a lighter material than a boat might be. Not a good thought that it might be part of a small plane though.

We had our picture taken with the Captain, and then he turned us over to his officers who answered a few more questions. One person asked the question I had wondered about. How they can say we'll be in Grand Turk at 9am or Half Moon Cay at 7am.

He showed us a computer set up that they plug in the port, the distance and what time they want to arrive - the program tells them how fast to go. If they run into bad weather or have to detour like we did for the flotsam, the program calculates how fast they have to go to make up for it. Nice - I could use one of those for my morning commute :D

I asked about the harbor pilots - whether they actually steered or just offered advice. The officer who was answering questions, said that it depended on the pilot and the particular port. In any case - the pilot is in charge and they must obey his (or maybe her!) orders.

Johnel took us over to one of 3 control stations on the bridge. There is the main one and two auxiliary ones - one on each side of the ship. Nice to know there is redundancy - just in case!

There was a dry erase marker board behind the station he showed us that had the number of passengers listed for our cruise 3523 (I think) and the number of crew - I forget.

And then we were on to our last stop ... the Pinnacle Steak House!

Actually, the deck officer was not giving you correct information regarding harbor pilots. The Captain of a ship gives over the RESPONSIBILITY for maneuvering the vessel in only two place on earth: the Panama Canal, and when entering a drydock. At all other times, the pilot is an advisor to the Captain, who has knowledge of the port, currents, etc. Normally, the Captain will instruct his bridge crew to follow the orders of the pilot, but at any time that he feels the pilot is placing the vessel in danger, he may, and is obligated to take control of the vessel.

i did this tour on the Glory 3 years ago, should i do it again on the Splendor?

Well it is a different ship, so you might see different things and I would think the different tour guides give somewhat different info.

I would do it again!

Sorry to all who are waiting for the end of this. I got started on my rambling review and that nasty old real life has interfered a bit, but I've got a long weekend coming up so I'll try to finish up!

Kath, in the course of this tour did they mention who the head chef was? I'm curious about these things, even though it's not relevant to whether I enjoy a cruise or not in the end. For some reason I have a fascination for who does what in a ship's crew. I come from a nautical family so it may have to do with that. :D

Kath, in the course of this tour did they mention who the head chef was? I'm curious about these things, even though it's not relevant to whether I enjoy a cruise or not in the end. For some reason I have a fascination for who does what in a ship's crew. I come from a nautical family so it may have to do with that. :D

I know that NCL has a wall of photos in the atrium of the current ship's management, with names, and the Executive Chef is always included. Don't know about RCI. Any questions you have regarding ship's organization, I would be glad to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived