?? EXPLORER OF THE SEAS Cabin Advice: 6215 (Cat K) or 8219 (Cat L) -both forward

Pricing out a future cruise on Explorer of the Seas with my parents and being somewhat of a cruise newbie, I am lost when it comes to cabin selection.

So, pros/cons of Forward Cabin 6215 (Cat K) vs. Forward Cabin 8219 (Cat L)??

I know they are connecting rooms... my parents are looking at the respective connecting sets so neighbor noise won't be an issue....

Obviously, Deck 8 is better than Deck 6... but are there any other advantages, other than I won't have the noise from Deck 5?

8219 (Cat L) is a tad more (about $100).

Pricing out a future cruise on Explorer of the Seas with my parents and being somewhat of a cruise newbie, I am lost when it comes to cabin selection.

So, pros/cons of Forward Cabin 6215 (Cat K) vs. Forward Cabin 8219 (Cat L)??

I know they are connecting rooms... my parents are looking at the respective connecting sets so neighbor noise won't be an issue....

Obviously, Deck 8 is better than Deck 6... but are there any other advantages, other than I won't have the noise from Deck 5?

8219 (Cat L) is a tad more (about $100).

Seems you know what the pros and cons are so it boils down to will you be going up or down more often and would the $100 be worth it.

On Explorer, we were on the 6th floor and found we enjoyed being within walking distance of the royal promedande. Just a short trip down one flight of stairs.

I always found the elevators on Explorer were crowded trying to get down to dinner. So if you are able to take the stairs from the sixth down to the dining room (down one, across the promade, down again), that may be an advantage for you as well.

Keep in mind if your table in the MDR is on the third floor (which is the main seating area), there is no way from the front elevators to the MDR on the third floor.

Then again, on the 8th floor, you will be getting on the elevators earlier and hopefully ahead of the crowd. It also looks from the deck plan that the 8th floor room will have less "traffic" going by outside since the only people coming down your hallway are those in the rooms immediately around you.

Ok - but what date are you looking at?

It was a Bahamas winter, but now we are talking about doing a Bermuda itinerary for next summer. A few more rooms just opened up.... but my question still applies--- I still find Deck 8 vs. Deck 6 info very useful... especially since they are both in the aft or forward part of the ship. I wish we could do midship like we are doing next month... but it's so much more!

Called Royal Caribbean and learned something new so I thought I'd share!

Most of you may know the first part- but I didn't... Category K is the most desirable inside stateroom category (aside from midship promenade). A step down is Cat L, one further step down is Cat M... etc., etc..

So.... a Cat L cabin would be a one point downgrade from a Cat K. I asked why since the cabins are literally in the same area, two decks apart, and she said that there is something physically there (which she was unable to tell me what exactly) that makes it less desirable... whether it be a trash area, different room layout, crew storage right outside... I just think that they should be able to tell you what it is!!

We had 6133/35, and I absolutely would book these cabins (or cabins in this area) again. It was VERY convenient to the Café Promenade. Plus, in the elevator area, there is a sizable overlook which is the PERFECT viewing point for parades and parties on the promenade and events in the Schooner Bar.

WE had forward cabins on deck 7, but didn't like the location as much.

As someone else mentioned, for the MDR and venues in the aft of the ship, we just walked down to deck 5 and through the promenade to access the rear elevators. It made getting around the ship more pleasant and more efficient.

We were on deck 7 so right I the middle of your choices :D

I would probably go deck 6 for 2 reasons

1) motion usually isn't as bad on lower decks (I know you'll be forward, but I've never found an issue with fwd/aft only higher or lower floors

2) closer to the promenade - I love that area do the ship

Thanks hansolosmom! Another positive- I have been worried about seasickness!

Cat n, m, l, and k are the same size, just differet location or deck. Cat N will suite you fine. You have to have connecting cabins? Why not next door to each other?

I prefer deck 6 or 7 by aft elevators. Much easier to get places from there

When possible I think you are always better off with a cabin sandwiched between two cabin decks. This way you are assured of not hearing any other sounds from above or below.

Your cabin on deck 6 is so far forward though it might not be an issue, plus you are only one deck up from the Royal Promenade which is very convenient to hopping down for a snack.

It's a question of quiet or convenience.

Jonathan

When possible I think you are always better off with a cabin sandwiched between two cabin decks. This way you are assured of not hearing any other sounds from above or below.

Your cabin on deck 6 is so far forward though it might not be an issue, plus you are only one deck up from the Royal Promenade which is very convenient to hopping down for a snack.

It's a question of quiet or convenience.

Jonathan

been on deck 6 many times and never heard any more than other decks.

been on deck 6 many times and never heard any more than other decks.

Well, if that's the case the OP should book the deck 6 cabin, save yourself a $100 for a specialty dinner or an excursion and you'll have a cabin centrally located near the Royal Promenade and many other lounges.

Jonathan

Archived