Port of LA, San Pedro - Elite/Full Suite Embarkation

ctemkg

We were on the Sapphire Princess cruise that debarked yesterday. When we went to board (last Thursday) they had the Elite and Suite wait in a separated area of the main waiting room. The cushy waiting room with the food/drinks was for platinum passengers. I think they did this because the Elite/Suite were right at the boarding area, so it made it easier when we were the first ones to board. The Platinum presumably came right behind us.

When we recently embarked in LA we received an Elite Group "A" boarding pass. I am not aware of how many groups they had but were onboard at noon. Sadly the MDR lunch on the Sapphire was no longer a special chateaubriand & salmon lunch but a regular daily menu...more choices but not as good as before.

They don't seem to be able to make up there mind when it comes to the lounges. I have done several 3 day get aways. I have been in the lounge with the nice furniture with Elite, Platinum, and Suite passengers. I was there just a few weeks ago and they had "Elite" waiting outside the room, no one in the "nice room" (except coffee and juice), and Platinum members were in another location (across the aisle).

I was once told by the "host" in the lounge during a Hawaii voyage that it is entirely up to the ship when it comes to refreshments. I've had pastries to coffee and just coffee.

Go figure? Just happy to have a place to wait.

It may fill up fast, in Nov I could not use it except to grab a coffee as it was full capacity.

A few weeks ago, there were 2 areas for Elites/Suites at the Port of LA. One is in the room (as those that have used it in the past will remember) and now there is a roped off section outside of the room. They told us (as Elites) that we could sit in either place - the room OR the roped off area. The rep. said the room was getting too full at times, so they had to have an overflow area. It is definitely 'guarded' by a Princess rep. and is just after the security scanners. I guess how they separate the Platinums from the Elites changes from sailing to sailing.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Last week in San Pedro they had one room for Elite / Suite passengers and another separate area for Platinum. They were very strict not even letting my 78 year old mom (Who's Platinum) join my wife and I in the Elite area because she was not staying in our room.

We felt that was quite excessive

Last week in San Pedro they had one room for Elite / Suite passengers and another separate area for Platinum. They were very strict not even letting my 78 year old mom (Who's Platinum) join my wife and I in the Elite area because she was not staying in our room.

We felt that was quite excessive

When we cruised to Hawaii with my adult daughter, they wouldn't let her into the preferred waiting area with us either. We were told that if we wanted to sit with her and board with her, we could do so in her waiting area and go onboard with her when her group was called. So that is what we did. Were you offered that choice?

I do believe that with all the elite and platinum members now, the separation is good, but certain sailings with high numbers of elites and platinums still make for very crowded waiting conditions, even when in two different areas. If every elite couple wanted to bring even 1 additional non-qualified person, the waiting area would be overwhelmed. I am happy to see Princess in San Pedro enforce these rules for those that have earned it. If I choose to sail with non elites, I gladly join them in their waiting area. I don't think it makes that much difference in time to get onboard.

..... If I choose to sail with non elites, I gladly join them in their waiting area. I don't think it makes that much difference in time to get onboard.

I agree.

Our next voyage out of San Pedro in April will be our first time to sail with non elites. After reading other comments regarding this subject here on CC, DW and I already decided that we will join them in their waiting area.