Third time to beautiful Bermuda...off the beaten path things to do ?

sebas030

Good morning all,

I am planning my third visit to beautiful Bermuda in October.

I have done 2 private taxi tour of the island already and I would love to see less touristic things on my next visit.

I saw already; all of the Dockyard, lighthouse, draw bridge, exterior part of the aquarium, the small chapel on top of a hill, Hamilton, St-George ( but will spend more time there for sure ) golf, the private garden shaped like the island, crystal caves, horseshoe, etc.. the "normal" tourist things...

We did a private snorkel tour also.

I am not worried at all, Bermuda is so beautiful I could do those things again and really enjoy it. But I would like to experience something else.

When I went to Samana, we had the opportunity to do some "regular" excursion but we choose to do some research and went in the forest on horse back to a superb waterfall....it was great...I would love to experience something along this line next time in Bermuda.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you all in advance.

Last summer, on our fifth trip to Bermuda, we rented a motorboat from Somerset Bridge Water Sports and putted around the island for about four hours. We checked out beaches, a sunken ship that attracts tropical fish and just motored around. We went under the Somerset Draw Bridge when we returned the motorboat to the company. We had our whole family with us. There were 14 of us so we actually rented a pontoon boat and a smaller motorboat. The grandsons rented fishing poles and did some sea fishing. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.

I would most definitely agree with renting a whaler or other small boat for a half day and puttering around the Harbour and Great Sound. We have used Aquatic Bermuda, and heartily recommend them. They also do a really nice glass bottom boat trip, that both gives you a great harbour and history tour, but also great views of wrecks and fish. But if you have done a private snorkle, it might not excite you as much.

http://www.aquaticbermuda.com/

Another interesting option is a horse ride on the trails and south shore beaches.

http://www.spicelandsriding.com/

Biking or walking along the Railway Trail is both great exercise and a fun way to see the hidden, more private side of the island

http://www.bermuda-online.org/railway.htm

The Bermuda Botanical Gardens are lovely

http://www.bermuda4u.com/sights/botanical-gardens/

And within the Botanical Gardens is the Masterworks Art Museum

http://www.bermudamasterworks.com/

Perhaps Tom Moore's Jungle/Blue Hole Park in Hamilton Parish (not Hamilton City).

http://bermuda-online.org/seehamph.htm

Great minds think alike, Tom Moore's Jungle was going to be my recommendation.:)

Another thing we like to do is snorkel for awhile at Tobacco Bay then head out on Barry Road over to Fort St. Catherine, you can stop at Black Beard's for some "refreshments".;) We continue on and there's an interesting cemetary along the way. You'll also see some cows at a farm that are very scarce in Bermuda. There's a small glass beach and then we go to Gate's Fort to can see the Town Cut where the cruise ships used to squeeeeeze through to get into St. George. The walk will take you back down into St. George and you've made a complete circle.

We also liked Fort Hamilton, especially down in the moat where you feel like you're in a jungle but only minutes from downtown Hamilton.

Another thing we like to do is snorkel for awhile at Tobacco Bay then head out on Barry Road over to Fort St. Catherine, you can stop at Black Beard's for some "refreshments".;)

There are some lovely trails in that area! I know that Tobacco Bay tends to get busy, but when we walked to Fort St. Catherine, it was completely deserted. The shoreline along there was among the prettiest scenery on the island.

Get a picnic and head down to Southside. Visit the historic Carter House - check first on opening hours as this does vary. Then, head to Cooper's Island Nature Reserve. Absolutely stunning area. We enjoy going for walks there. Will try and upload a few photos of the area with this.

1647588046_CoopersIsland1.jpg.a05a9302e91132996efa632f81557493.jpg

1508848806_CoopersIsland2.jpg.45edd6e64f5c8a784b26240ce0d60e77.jpg

2111747593_meatCoopersIsland.jpg.c4745cdac8a906575a31429d660dee83.jpg

Get a picnic and head down to Southside. Visit the historic Carter House - check first on opening hours as this does vary. Then, head to Cooper's Island Nature Reserve. Absolutely stunning area. We enjoy going for walks there. Will try and upload a few photos of the area with this.

Where would you get a picnic for lunch?

Depending on how you get to Southside. Many of our gas stations have areas where there are take out restaurants where you can get quick sandwiches, wraps, salads, all sorts. There's a nice new one up on South Shore, one at the Crawl station, lots of grocery stores along the way. Market Place in Shelly Bar, Harrington Hundreds over on south road if you head that way. Others further up in Southampton and Warwick. Pickup a french loaf, some cheese, whatever. Two Swizzle Inns along the way....others may have better ideas!

I really wanted to go swimming in the cave at Grotto Bay...contacted Grotto Beach Resort and they don't sell day passes...amenities like the cave are reserved for "registered guest only"...

This is very disappointing for me :( ...how often in a life time can you swim in a cave :(

Well guess I'll have more time for other things on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I really wanted to go swimming in the cave at Grotto Bay...contacted Grotto Beach Resort and they don't sell day passes...amenities like the cave are reserved for "registered guest only"...

This is very disappointing for me :( ...how often in a life time can you swim in a cave :(

Well guess I'll have more time for other things on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm not 100% sure that this is still true, but you could swim in a cave at Tom Moores Jungle/Blue Hole Park which is located near the caves, Grotto Beach Resort and the Causeway. There is a CC thread here, and a

from 2008.

Suggestion, don't act like a cruise ship passenger, and enter GBR as a guest.

SBtS

I'm not 100% sure that this is still true, but you could swim in a cave at Tom Moores Jungle/Blue Hole Park which is located near the caves, Grotto Beach Resort and the Causeway. There is a CC thread here, and a
from 2008.

Suggestion, don't act like a cruise ship passenger, and enter GBR as a guest.

SBtS

Well I sent an email this afternoon to Grotto Bay Beach regarding day passes for access to beach and cave and I got an email back:

" Good Day Sebastein,

Thank you for your inquiry. I’m sorry we do not offer day passes. Our facilities are for registered guest only."

I might try not looking like a cruise ship passenger...guess leaving the ugly striped turquoise towel on the ship ;)