Queasy beads

janice2348

Just ordered a set on etsy.com. The lady who makes them is very nice. Last cruise I had motion sickness issues. Trying these instead of sea bands on our April cruise. I will report back and let you all know how they work.

I tried ginger capsules last time- they did nothing for me. I'm also bringing motionease as a back up.

Different things work for different people. I figured those who were successful with sea bands might be interested.

I have known many "beads" in my time and, in fact, some of those "beads" are still good friends of mine. But in all my years I have never met a "queasy bead." I understand that for helping with motion sickness they rank somewhere behind the local witch doctor :)

Hank

P.S. By the way, we have a sale today of a "Queasy Bridge in Brooklyn."

Edited by Hlitner

I have known many "beads" in my time and, in fact, some of those "beads" are still good friends of mine. But in all my years I have never met a "queasy bead." I understand that for helping with motion sickness they rank somewhere behind the local witch doctor :)

Hank

P.S. By the way, we have a sale today of a "Queasy Bridge in Brooklyn."

http://www.etsy.com/shop/QueasyBeads

I used queasy beads on our cruise. I really don't know how they went as I don't have anything to compare them too. What I can tell you is that I get really bad migraines when I travel in a car for any distance more than 100km and I don't if I am wearing the beads. I also use them to help remove the nausea when I have a normal migraine (if any migraine can be classed as normal) and they also help with my pain management. I don't understand how they help with my migraines, but they do so my neurologist says to keep using them as anything that can help me manage is a bonus.

I'm glad they helped with your migraine. I do not want to feel like I did on my last cruise...so I figured I would give them a try.

I did have a one or two days on the ship where I felt a bit off-colour. My son, who gets motion sick was also not feeling well - more than me, but he wouldn't wear bands.

The bonus with Queasy Beads is that they just looked like I was wearing pretty bracelets and if my son wore them that he was just wearing a string of wood beads.

Quite often people who do not suffer from motion sickness don't understand it or think it's all in our head. I suffer from it. You either do or you don't and it's nothing you did, it's and inner ear issue. Either way, I would tell those who do not suffer from it, be thankful. Imagine loving cruising as you do and have to deal with being ill each cruise? I try something new each time we go out and long for the panacea. I for one, look forward to hearing how you make out with these. Best of luck.

Quite often people who do not suffer from motion sickness don't understand it or think it's all in our head. I suffer from it. You either do or you don't and it's nothing you did, it's and inner ear issue. Either way, I would tell those who do not suffer from it, be thankful. Imagine loving cruising as you do and have to deal with being ill each cruise? I try something new each time we go out and long for the panacea. I for one, look forward to hearing how you make out with these. Best of luck.

If you truly suffer from the mal de mer then there are some excellent pharmaceutical products. The most commonly used is Meclizine Hcl which can be bought in the US over the counter under the brand name Bonine or Dramamine Non Drowsy (this is different then the regular Dramamine). It is also sold as a prescription drug in the US under the name "Antivert."

Meclizine is the drug normally sold (or given away) on cruise ships and recommended by most cruise ship physicians.

Another less popular (but more powerful) preventive drug are the so-called patches called Transderm-Scop. This is a prescription product and has a long list of potential side-effects.

But getting back to the OPs post, if you think that some kind of beads are going to prevent an inner ear medical condition then you might do better with a witch doctor :)

On a personal note, we have spent more then 3 1/2 years on cruise ships, and once in a long while do get queasy. The weird thing is that I do not normally feel bad in really rough seas (and we have been in 40 foot + seas) but it seems to be more related to the type of motion. Whenever I feel even a little queasy I quickly take some Bonine and within a half hour am fine. DW has never really been sea sick, but she always takes Bonine the night before we get on a cruise and normally continues taking the pill for the first few days...or if it gets really rough. The trick with Bonine is to take them before you get sick...

Hank

I have looked into Bonine:

From webmd:

Drowsiness, dry mouth, and tiredness may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

To relieve dry mouth, suck (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute.

If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including: mental/mood changes (such as restlessness, confusion), fast/irregular heartbeat, shaking (tremor), difficulty urinating.

Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including: seizures.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Uh, no thanks.

People have said that the patch gave them blurred vision

I'll stick with my beads , thanks.

I totally agree. I'm not sure people understand the beads concept.

Anyway I will definitely report back:D

My wife has a terrible time with motion sickness. We're taking our first cruise this summer, and looking at her choices… She's tried the scopolamine patch and it gave her a horrible headache. Meclazine will work hopefully with minima l side effects. These beads, well who knows… From what I have read, they seem to be an acu-pressure sort of thing. Since nobody knows the physical mechanism for how acupressure and acupuncture work, it's plausible.

Me, I've yet to experience being seasick. Love the motion on any size boat… I do try and be sympathetic though. I hardly ever eat lunch in front of those suffering!

Jim

I totally agree. I'm not sure people understand the beads concept.

Anyway I will definitely report back:D

Count me in the crowd that does not understand. So tell me why some beads will prevent sea sickness. And do they also drive away the bad spirits? Just count me as the skeptic.

As a long time cruiser we have heard all these tales, and also seen their interesting results. So, we were on a cruise about 3 or 4 years ago (we now cruise over 70 days a year) and were at a fun large table. One couple, who were on their 3rd or 4th cruise were using many of the alternative anti seasickness remedies. They both wore sea bands, the guy also wore some kind of special watch that was supposed to prevent seasickness, and the lady was wearing some kind of "beads" that she said kept her from getting seasick and also prevented colds. They made a point of trying to convince everyone that this stuff worked and neither of them had ever been sick on a ship.

Well, this was a 14 day Caribbean cruise, and as is typical of most Caribbean cruises on a large ship there was very little movement of the vessel. But alas, we ran into some pretty nasty swells on the 3rd or 4th day and we were doing some rocking and rolling. So (you probably guessed it) during dinner that night both of these folks started turning a funny shade of green during dinner (I wonder if the beads make people change colors). By the time our waiter served the main course they were gone (probably to toss up their appetizers ). When we saw them the next night they were both a lot better, but the lady had also come down with a nasty head cold. And yes, they had gone to the ship's shop and bought some Bonine which seemed to be working.

But we do agree that every drug has its side effects. We do not use the patch because DW discovered that after a few days she could not focus enough to read her book (a common side effect). As to Bonine, DW has no problem with this drug (she also suffers from Menieres and that is the prescribed drug) but it does tend to make me a little sleepy. Normally I do not take Bonine, but if I feel the need I try to take it around bed time (you only take one per day).

So what should folks do if they want to avoid drugs? There have been a few scientific studies that seem to support ginger as being helpful. In fact, some cruise lines actually have some ginger candy in a bowl near the entrance of their dining room (HAL does this). We also know some long time cruisers who swear by ginger capsules (you can buy them anywhere they sell vitamins).

And what to do if you get sick? I guess you can sit in your cabin, be totally miserable, and play with your beads :). Or you can go to the ship's physician, pay over $100, get a shot of Compazine (which will put you asleep) and also walk out of the doctor's office with a supply of Bonine for the next few days.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I had no idea this thread would cause so much debate:eek:

Not sure what kind of beads your dining companions had. I never said they would ward off colds:D

Queasy beads replace sea bands. Simple as that. There's a large bead that sits on the pressure point of your wrist same as sea bands.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104529268/queasy-beads-motion-sickness-bracelets?ref=shop_home_feat_1

Will they work? I have no idea.

I do respect everyone's opinion but I think some are missing the point.

Just ordered a set on etsy.com. The lady who makes them is very nice. Last cruise I had motion sickness issues. Trying these instead of sea bands on our April cruise. I will report back and let you all know how they work.

Thanks for posting the link FireStation46. At first I though the queasybeads was something like the worry beads.

They look like they would work the same as the sea bands, which works for me, but are more fashionable. I think I'll order a few for my sister and I.

I'm wondering for those who says they didn't work for you if maybe you didn't have them on the exact pressure point they go on.

There are detailed instructions on how to measure your wrist on her website. You don't wear them like a bracelet. You wear them slightly higher on your arm. You can also email her with any questions.

I spoke with Carol, the lady who makes them, yesterday. I had a problem with one of them fitting correctly, and she is going to refit it for me.

She is really sweet-(no I am not a paid spokesman:D)

I am hoping these work after all the hype I am giving :o

I have mine seperated into two seperate bags as each 'wrist' is a different size. Carol is definitely a very nice lady. My first lot (for myself and my sister) got lost somewhere between her and Australia and so she made another lot free of charge and sent them via a more expensive postal method but more reliable. The first ones are still in transit 8 months later.

Because of them helping my migraines I've had 2 more sets made in different colours to match different types of clothes.

My husband laughs though at my suntan line on my arms from the cruise, and even though we live in a very hot climate and it has been extremely warm this summer the line hasn't filled in. My arms have just got darker proportionally with it.

For all the skeptics in this thread - if you're not subject to seasickness, why are you commenting? And if you are, and Bonamine works for you, great. It doesn't work for everyone. Beads work for some others. Just because they didn't do anything for you doesn't mean they're rubbish; they evidently work for some people. Keep an open mind.