Best place to watch ships depart in FLL?

Seago2

Hi all- my teenage son is going to FLL to visit grandparents and wants to watch the ships leave and take some pictures. What's the best place for him? Basically if he could be the Port Everglades Webcam he'd be thrilled ;).

Thanks in advance-

There is a rocky ledge along the beach area where the ships come by. The same place the webcam is located.

That being said, the difficult thing is trying to get there. Because of a gated community, it is not easy to get to. We have however, gone to the catholic church that is in that gated community and we never tried it, but assume you would be able to walk the couple extra blocks to the beach.

What we have done however, it stayed at the Sheraton Beach resort. From there we walked along the beach to the rocky ledge. It is probably right at a mile walk down the beach. Wasn't bad, but it was windy and not a nice walk back to the hotel. Still worth it to watch the ships pass. There is also the Lago Mar Hotel that is only about half that distance. And there is a restaurant that we have considered going to "3030 Ocean" Maybe he could go there to eat and then walk to the rocky ledge.

Just some ideas. Hope something here helps.

Hi all- my teenage son is going to FLL to visit grandparents and wants to watch the ships leave and take some pictures. What's the best place for him? Basically if he could be the Port Everglades Webcam he'd be thrilled ;).

Thanks in advance-

For sure John Lloyd Park is THE best place to see ships leave..you pay $6 PER CAR, and go to the end ( all the way)..there is a beach there, bar-b-que area, restrooms, soda machines, and a jetty about 200 yards long to walk out & see the ships go right by you...park closes at sunset ( about 7:40 PM now..) ..ships begin leaving 4 PM until about 6-6:30..best days are Sat & Sun with the huge Oasis & Allure of The seas leaving around 5 PM...the webcam pics ( on Port Fever or PE Webcam site) is taken at the condos mentioned before, here..BUT, parking is tough, there are no facilities ( better have a strong bladder!), AND it's a long walk from the parking area ( IF you can find a spot..)..if you have a GPS, call John Lloyd Park ( may be under Broward County parks), get address and go...we have gone maybe 25-30 times the last 5 years...much better than then condos IMO....anymore info needed, let me know...

For sure John Lloyd Park is THE best place to see ships leave..you pay $6 PER CAR, and go to the end ( all the way)..there is a beach there, bar-b-que area, restrooms, soda machines, and a jetty about 200 yards long to walk out & see the ships go right by you...park closes at sunset ( about 7:40 PM now..) ..ships begin leaving 4 PM until about 6-6:30..best days are Sat & Sun with the huge Oasis & Allure of The seas leaving around 5 PM...the webcam pics ( on Port Fever or PE Webcam site) is taken at the condos mentioned before, here..BUT, parking is tough, there are no facilities ( better have a strong bladder!), AND it's a long walk from the parking area ( IF you can find a spot..)..if you have a GPS, call John Lloyd Park ( may be under Broward County parks), get address and go...we have gone maybe 25-30 times the last 5 years...much better than then condos IMO....anymore info needed, let me know...

Thank you! This is great info!

This time of year the only thing tricky with that is sometimes Port Everglades traffic gets really busy and the cruise ships have last priority getting out of port after the container ships. Many times I've seen or heard the cruise ships leave after dark. You can hear the horns from my house. However, the sun is setting later and later so that may not be a problem for you like it is during the winter. Good luck and share your photos with us!

This time of year the only thing tricky with that is sometimes Port Everglades traffic gets really busy and the cruise ships have last priority getting out of port after the container ships. Many times I've seen or heard the cruise ships leave after dark. You can hear the horns from my house. However, the sun is setting later and later so that may not be a problem for you like it is during the winter. Good luck and share your photos with us!

I will! It's my 15 year old son, actually. He's a cruise ship and ocean liner nut- big time. So he'll be there tomorrow with his grandparents.

put your picture on a picture host site

I use photobucket.com ... I have a free account with a BUNCH of pictures there and still have plenty of free space

After you upload your picture to something like photobucket, to include it in your post you need to get a 'link' which is the internet address of your picture. On PB there is a button for this and I copy the "image" link (which already includes the code needed for most web forums) and paste this into my message and .... ta da

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

I AM a computer geek (got my MS in computer science in 1982 . . . ) but I think this is pretty easy to follow/duplicate . . . I tried other photo hosting sites but have been using PB for over 5 years now . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

put your picture on a picture host site

I use photobucket.com ... I have a free account with a BUNCH of pictures there and still have plenty of free space

After you upload your picture to something like photobucket, to include it in your post you need to get a 'link' which is the internet address of your picture. On PB there is a button for this and I copy the "image" link (which already includes the code needed for most web forums) and paste this into my message and .... ta da

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

I AM a computer geek (got my MS in computer science in 1982 . . . ) but I think this is pretty easy to follow/duplicate . . . I tried other photo hosting sites but have been using PB for over 5 years now . . .

Thank you! One thing that has always concerned me- if I put up a link from there will everyone be able to see ALL of my pictures? I was thinking of using photobucket as my walls are filled with pictures of my kids- all aged ten or younger. Well, the oldest is 30 now. Literally every picture I have taken is on a computer or iPad or Facebook or phone. So how to print them? I have so many on my iPad so using a thumb drive and going to Walgreen's isn't going to do it- unless I manually transfer them all to my computer via email (can't hook up to iTunes in the computer). Using my home printer can't possibly pass for "quality prints", plus I'll run out of ink in half an hour. So I was thinking I could order them from Photobucket- but are they a fortune? Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

if I put up a link from there will everyone be able to see ALL of my pictures?

you control that ... see 'privacy' options . . .

I have so many on my iPad so using a thumb drive and going to Walgreen's isn't going to do it

well .... that's exactly what I do. When I want a print I transfer the file to a USB or SD drive and head to CVS. But I've not allowed 'thousands' to build up that I want to print. I also have 'electronic' frames that I've gifted in the past ... and sent periodic new SD cards loaded with pictures - it works like a slide show on their desk even if they don't own a computer.