Hurricane Season '05

After the quickest and most active start to the hurricane season ever (two major hurricanes in July...one cat. 5 hurricane briefly....five named storms and all of those in the Gulf of Mexico)... expect a brief break in the activity until early August. Computer models don't show any new activity for a few weeks. They do show a possible system developing near the Leeward Islands around August 1st. The large high pressure system that is currently pushing Emily south of Brownsville, TX into Mexico extends strongly from Central Texas...along the Gulf coast....over Florida...and into the Atlantic all the way to Spain. This high is "protecting" Florida right now and shows no sign of going away for at least a few weeks.

So what does it mean to have such an active start to the season? First of all, this season seems to be breaking all the rules. But a look back in history shows two things. First, some seasons have started very active (but never like this) and just fizzle out in August/September. But, there have been a few extremely active years that got started early and just kept on going through November. The last was 1995, which feature Hurricane Opal hitting Florida in late September and Hurricane Roxanne hitting Cancun even later. 1969 was another very active season that just kept on going, it feature category 5 Hurricane Camille hitting Mississippi.

Hey I'm on the Mariner on Oct. 2nd too!! I'm hoping for the Eastern route to be smooth sailing, I've been to the Western three times. This is why I spent the extra $$ and booked out of FL.

If it has to be Western I'll grin and Bear it :D

Even if they make me stay on the ship the whole time - I'll try not to complain!

Hey I'm on the Mariner on Oct. 2nd too!! I'm hoping for the Eastern route to be smooth sailing, I've been to the Western three times. This is why I spent the extra $$ and booked out of FL.

If it has to be Western I'll grin and Bear it :D

Even if they make me stay on the ship the whole time - I'll try not to complain!

Knothead,

I've been Southern Caribbean and it went to St. Thomas and St. Marten, and we've been to Nassau like 3 times...so..

We were on a later sailing that was Western, but cuz of a port 'conflict' they changed the iternary... and wouldn't go to Jamiaica *where I wanted to go* and Labadee so we swtiched to the Oct 2nd Eastern... I mean, I'll be happy on the ship, but if a Hurricane were to switch our 'route' a bit... I wouldn't be complaining. ;)

AerynSun:

I guess we will just be happy with whatever happens. Hey if we have a cruise to nowhere we can sit around the pool and tell each other about the ports we've been too and live vicariously (sp?) thru our past cruises. :E

Archived