Carnival Magic Returns to Galveston, Quarantined Patient Debarks

LauraS

Was the customs process any different today. Has the process changed at all getting off and on? Im due on the Magic in three weeks . Just wondering if this will change our usual easy system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was the customs process any different today. Has the process changed at all getting off and on? Im due on the Magic in three weeks . Just wondering if this will change our usual easy system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only that changed thus far was a new health screening form to identify individuals that may be higher risk for ebola due to recent travel or possible exposure to someone with ebola. I'm sure everyone will tell the truth on that form.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They scrub well anyway. I think now that the authorities have figured out that anyone being monitored for a quarantine shouldn't be out in public let alone on airlines, public transit or cruise ships. Why the CDC couldn't figure that out I will never know as it used to be taught as basic epidemiology.

I trust the cruise industry. During this crisis we cancelled one cruise because we would have to fly but signed up for 3 more, now the other day we booked a fourth.

Now is the time for booking great deals on cruises.

I dislike flying at the best of times but once I heard of patient zero and the hash the hospital was making of that, long before the nurses came down with it we cancelled our flights. We quickly rebooked to cruises out of our nearby port so we can drive.

At that time I told dh it won't be long before an airline has a problem. 5 minute cleanings between turn arounds and busy congested often dirty airports aren't a great combination.

On the other hand I love the cruise industry cleanliness standards. All 3 lines we have been on are top notch. I'm a retired RN and I think they are terrific. I used to work on a unit where we had isolation units for tropical diseases back in the mid to late 70s in Vancouver. I've been horrified by infection control & cleanliness standards slipping in hospitals over the years since then but I have ALWAYS been impressed with the general cleaning as well as the quick and well thought out response to 2 small outbreaks of Noro that happened on 2 of our cruises. One on HAL, the other on Princess.

In both cases they didn't do a wait and see approach. The minute they suspected a couple of passengers had brought Noro aboard they doubled down and no further cases emerged. I was quietly amused & impressed!

I saw them handling a drunken idiot who had just vomited,and honestly if I have to be anywhere in the vicinity of vomiting people I would rather be on a cruise ship! They disinfected everything in sight including the walls. All nearby food and dishes discarded, area totally disinfected then cleaned again.

My bottom line is I think the cruise industry could teach the CDC a lot! Their long experience with handling & extinguishing Noro makes them more than qualified in infection control procedures within a large closed population.

I plan to book more cruises as the price drops if this starts to impact prices. Dh & I just bought cruiseline stocks for the same reason.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Only thing I've seen so far today is that they will be scrubbing down and sanitizing all public areas.

According to John Heald's site, Gerry Cahill was there to greet passengers and answer any questions. Another good job by Carnival brass. Seems that is more than just cleaning.

Edited by jimbo5544

Also read the cabin where couple were in quarantine will not be used on current cruise, even though it was deep cleaned and disinfected. I think Carnival has gone over and beyond to protect their guests and in trying to make up to them for missed ports.

Are you saying the US press has reverted to "yellow Journalism"????

Gee, I thought everything we saw on TV was factual!!!!

Golly, the media might have blown everything out of proportion? I am SHOCKED.

Anyone wanna see my Triumph photos? :)

Just off the Magic this morning. The ship docked around 4:30 this morning and the two that had been quarantined left the ship at around 5:30 am. The media was out in force when we disembarked; news crews and helicopters aplenty. The ship actually had two USCG boats patrolling the docked ship. We were disembarked by 8:30, all smooth no problems, received a letter from the CDC basically telling us "no worries". My wife enjoyed watching the news-crews run around trying hard to find an interview that was a story, while I go the car. All in all, great trip on the Magic. We did visit Belize, great day even with some rain!

Edited by PacificMountain2012