Athens (Piraeus) - ship to metro question

Mrs Booboo

A recent post said that the X80 express bus will resume service in March, but I want to have a backup plan in case that doesn't happen.

I've determined that I can take the 843 bus from the bus stop (Apheteria that is between the cruise ship terminals A and B) to the metro station. I've also determined that I can buy an all day ticket for 4 euros that will cover both the bus and any metro trips.

The one thing I can't find is - where do I buy the ticket? Sounds like you can buy them at the metro station, but I need it before I get on the bus. Is there a ticket booth next to the bus stop?

• 3 weeks later...

piraeus doesnt have metro station.its only a train station there but you can take it and connect to the metro stations of monastiraki.from there you can get the metro to acropolis or you can just disembark to monastiraki or thiseio station and then just walk to plaka and acropolis

A recent post said that the X80 express bus will resume service in March, but I want to have a backup plan in case that doesn't happen.

I've determined that I can take the 843 bus from the bus stop (Apheteria that is between the cruise ship terminals A and B) to the metro station. I've also determined that I can buy an all day ticket for 4 euros that will cover both the bus and any metro trips.

The one thing I can't find is - where do I buy the ticket? Sounds like you can buy them at the metro station, but I need it before I get on the bus. Is there a ticket booth next to the bus stop?

Just got back from a cruise with a stop in Athens. We just ended up walking to train station because we waited a long time and no bus 843 came along. (On the way back, we also waited for awhile for bus 843, decided to just walk and as we were walking it passed us, but not until we were nearly to the ship). It is not a long walk, maybe a mile. You can buy tickets in train station or at a news stand nearby. I think any tobacco shop sells them. We then took the train to Thisso stop, maybe 6-7 stops away. If you get off the train you will go to the right on a wide, stone walkway, slightly uphill. It is an easy walk and fun to see the Acropolis from that view. Plus, we were off the ship early, so when we were at the acropolis, there were not very many people, basically had it to ourselves for awhile, then when we were walking down, there were hundreds and hundreds of people walking up. Get there early for the best pictures.

Others on our cruise said they tried to take the X80 and they were not successful and ended up taking a cab. I hope it is running when you are there, it sounds like the easiest way. Happy travels.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Here's some info from a previous post, listing other buses to/from Gate E12. (Note that not all ships dock at the same location, this is for E12).

"I had picked up a little map/guide from the Piraeus Port Authority in the terminal building and noticed they listed buses that connected the Metro Station (on the map says "Electric and Suburban Railway") with Gate E12, where our ship was. The bus numbers are 827, 828, 831, 843 & 859.

(Please note that you may have materials that say it's just a few minutes' walk to the Metro....that may be true for ferries or other vessels, but if you are at Gate E12, it would be a VERY long walk indeed!)"

Happy Travels!

piraeus doesnt have metro station.its only a train station there but you can take it and connect to the metro stations of monastiraki.f

The station at Piraeus is a metro station. The metro line may run overground at that point so the station isn't underground, but it is still part of the metro system and classed as a metro station.

I LIVE in athens and i know whats metro and whats a train station.Metro starts from thiseion until monastiraki..all the other stations are just train stations..you can connect to the metro from piraeus if you want by stepping off at thiseion and then getting the metro even towards the airport connecting with proastiakos subrail..if you dont know sth for sure dont post fake things on cruisecritic...its may be called a "metro" system but its NOT metro..some times athens shuts down the metro and then you can NOT connect with it at thiseion but that happens very very rarely only for maintenance and it lasts only 2 hours or so.. in uk you might class this as a metro station but in greece we call "metro" only the UNDERGROUND stations going from thisseion etc...these stations are operated by another company which is called attiko metro and they have brand new trains there..the other stations like piraeus is operated by hsap and its the old system..

Edited by backsbanny

Well, backsbanny, I don't much care for your use of the word 'fake, which implies deliberate deceit. Perhaps you can explain to me why the website http://www.visitgreece.gr, which as I'm sure you know is the officfial website of the Greek Tourism Organisation, labels the station on its Piraeus map in English as 'Subway station' and in French as 'Station de metro'. It does have a station which it marks as 'Railway station', but that's a totally different station on the other side of the harbour for trains going to other parts of Greece. So if the official tourist body is calling it a metro station,surely that's the expression tourists should be using, particularly as there are two stations in Piraeus.

Well, backsbanny, I don't much care for your use of the word 'fake, which implies deliberate deceit. Perhaps you can explain to me why the website http://www.visitgreece.gr, which as I'm sure you know is the officfial website of the Greek Tourism Organisation, labels the station on its Piraeus map in English as 'Subway station' and in French as 'Station de metro'. It does have a station which it marks as 'Railway station', but that's a totally different station on the other side of the harbour for trains going to other parts of Greece. So if the official tourist body is calling it a metro station,surely that's the expression tourists should be using, particularly as there are two stations in Piraeus.

if a tourist goes to piraeus and ask the locals where is the metro they will tell him its on thiseio..the railway that you say exists and its not the train its the proastiakos railway..in athens we have 3 systems 1 train 2 metro 3suburban railway proastiakos the train that you catch on piraeus has the sign isap and its old and slow comparing with the metro you get on thisseio which has sigh attiko metro and its new and fast

They built a dedicated x80 bus stop with ticket machine and everything right at terminal B so I doubt they would just scrap the bus. The website now says its back in operation starting at 7am. Your ticket is good for all day and includes taking the metro if you want to go to the museum.