Devils on the Deep Blue Sea

sea-n-me

Just finished reading this book by Kristoffer A. Garin over the weekend. Anyone else have a chance to read it yet? It's not really HAL related per se, but is a non fiction book about the cruising industry in general, especially the Carnival Corp. and Royal Caribbean. As one of the reviews on the jacket states "In this riveting book about the cruise industry, Kristoffer Garin investigates the hard realities behind cruising's sunny facade. Owners will wince, crews will probably not read it, ships will keep sailing and profits will soar. Required reading for discerning passengers." - John Maxtone-Graham, maritime historian.

Kept my interest, seemed well researched - but like anything, you take it all with a grain of salt.

Here's the "Cliff Notes" version:

empty.gif sfgatelogo_xsm.gif www.sfgate.com Return to regular view

How cruise lines kept boats afloat

- Reviewed by Spud Hilton, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, August 7, 2005

Devils on the Deep Blue Sea

The Dreams, Schemes and Showdowns That Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires

By Kristoffer A. Garin

VIKING; 366 Pages; $24.95

Anyone vaguely familiar with passenger ships -- even if only from commercials showing climbing walls and skating rinks -- knows they aren't what they used to be. Those with a casual knowledge have probably heard the story of Carnival's first voyage running aground on a Florida sandbar. And it's pretty much a no-brainer that "The Love Boat" was a handy marketing tool for the budding industry.

But what you don't know -- the bawdy sexcapades of officers; Royal Caribbean's dismal merger record; why most ships are little floating pieces of Panama; the real reason Carnival is nicknamed "Carnivore"; just how poorly workers are paid; and that the cruise line empires pay no federal tax on their billions in profits -- would fill a book.

Specifically, it fills the pages of Kristoffer A. Garin's "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea," the first comprehensive analysis-chronology-biography that focuses on what most people don't know about a barely 30-year-old leisure cruise industry -- as opposed to the genteel ocean-crossing voyages of yore -- and its modern-day robber barons.

"Devils" is based on extensive research of records both public and not-so- public, as well as hundreds of interviews, from corporate titans to shareholders to cabin stewards, including current workers whom Garin doesn't identify because, frankly, hell hath no fury like a cruise line that's ratted on.

Garin doesn't so much hold the cruise lines' flippers to the fire as he casts light on some of the morally corrupt policies, abuses of power, questionable rationalizations and flawed pioneers, as well as a history of growth and consolidation that had all the decorum and civility of a biker bar brawl. (Garin's painting of what happens when unabashedly vicious American business tactics enter the genteel, traditionally European world of passenger shipping is actually pretty humorous, whether intended or not.)

"Anyone would have forgiven [Carnival owners] the Arisons -- especially the increasingly competitive Micky -- for taking some time to lick their wounds after their bruising in the largest takeover fight in the history of their young industry," Garin writes. "Instead, in almost no time at all they'd turned around and topped it. For many in Miami, this was the first indication that Carnival wasn't just in a league of its own; Carnival was playing a whole different ball game. A nickname started to take hold: Carnivore Cruise Lines."

But he also mixes in the stories of triumph and ingenuity -- Carnival Corp. founder Ted Arison's almost single-handed jump-start of the modern cruising era by making voyages more casual and affordable -- with investigative reporting, striking a balance between expose and compelling history.

The book's real strength is in the behind-the-scenes stories of the birth, adolescence and lusty teen years of a largely unregulated industry, often told by executives who admit to making it up as they went. Among them:

-- So many older passengers died of natural causes on a voyage on which "The Love Boat" was shooting that, according to a show co-producer, they "filled all the (meat) lockers with frozen bodies."

-- In the spring of 1981, the Honduran and Jamaican crews of two of Carnival's three ships mutinied over poor conditions, holding both ships hostage at a Miami dock for four days.

-- In 1975, when the Centers for Disease Control started health inspections aboard ships, every ship failed. "In an inspection where 86 was a passing score, (Norwegian Cruise Line's) new flagship scored 8 points out of 100," Garin writes.

-- With the captain's approval, one ship (although Garin doesn't reveal which) held a crew-only "Caligula Party" that featured bidding on volunteer sex slaves, a Roman orgy and a giant melting phallus, courtesy of the ice- sculpting staff.

-- Some cruise directors in the early days were able to retire early on the fortunes they amassed extorting money from stores in ports, not just on promises of promoting a business to passengers, but also with the threat of bad-mouthing it.

The most interesting blend of analysis and history is in the chapter that focuses on the impact of popular TV show "The Love Boat," which was based on the book "Love Boats," a raunchy tell-all by former cruise director Jeraldine Saunders that was intended to do for cruise ships what "Coffee, Tea or Me?" did for airlines.

Garin has written the most cogent look at how much credit should be attributed to the schlock show for cruising's big boom in the '70s and '80s, calling it the "single greatest product placement of all time."

"The more than $100 million it earned for its producers pales next to the untold billions it indirectly generated for the entrepreneurs in Miami and elsewhere who, by the time the show went off the air 10 years later, would be well on their way to becoming genuine robber barons of the high seas."

"When the producers changed the uniforms on the show, Princess changed them on the ships, as well; it got to the point where passengers, on learning that their cruise directors couldn't produce Captain Stubing in the flesh, sometimes demanded their money back."

Some chapters are less captivating than others. The "Trouble in Paradise" section, about the struggles of Caribbean nations to make cruise lines and passengers help pay for their impact on the islands, achieves a level of detail far beyond the interest of anyone outside the industry. The recounting of Royal Caribbean and Carnival's fight to merge with Princess suffers similarly, providing a blow-by-blow of the two-year saga that feels as if it unfolds in real time.

"Devils" will appeal to cruise ship fans who want a deeper understanding, to industry familiars and to readers who already detest the modern cruise (but who probably have never been on one) and want validation for their feelings.

Garin, a journalist, draws the reader into most chapters with the start of an interesting tale, veering into history and analysis before returning to the tale's conclusion. He writes (and attributes) with credibility and makes often complex financial workings and boardroom machinations surprisingly understandable.

It's unlikely Garin is much of a cruiser himself. There are a few missteps in the opening chapter that most folks who are will catch: Formal Night on the final night is extremely rare, so passengers wearing tuxes and gowns while returning to port is unlikely, for example. He also fails to mention Renaissance Cruise Line's catastrophic collapse in 2001, which continues to have an impact industrywide, or talk about the Queen Mary 2 being a personal toy for Carnival Chairman Micky Arison (founder Ted Arison's son) in the size wars.

Overall, however, Garin's book is interesting and long overdue.

E-mail Spud Hilton at shilton@sfchronicle.com.

Page C - 5

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/07/RVGUGE04CU1.DTL ©2005 San Francisco Chronicle Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("site","sfgate")Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("section","news||")Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("psection","article|news|")Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("usertype","reader")Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("pagetype","article")Tacoda_AMS_DDC_js=1.0Tacoda_AMS_DDC_js=1.1Tacoda_AMS_DDC_js=1.2Tacoda_AMS_DDC_js=1.3Tacoda_AMS_DDC("http://te.sfgate.com/tte/blank.gif", Tacoda_AMS_DDC_js)

In 1975, when the Centers for Disease Control started health inspections aboard ships, every ship failed. "In an inspection where 86 was a passing score, (Norwegian Cruise Line's) new flagship scored 8 points out of 100," Garin writes.

An 8 out of a possible 100? LOL! And to think, today we whine when HAL scores less than 90.

With the captain's approval, one ship (although Garin doesn't reveal which) held a crew-only "Caligula Party" that featured bidding on volunteer sex slaves, a Roman orgy and a giant melting phallus, courtesy of the ice- sculpting staff.

They should advertise this one ... it would boost the passenger census. I cannot help but wonder what it would have been like to serve as chaplain of the ship where this sexual bacchanalia was thrown! :D

Thought it was a fascinating read; well researched and even handed. His take on the history of the modern cruise industry empires is wonderfully trashy, with all of the elements of a Dominick Dunne novel. On a more serious note, his criticisms of the abuses of the industry (employment and environment) are balanced by a recognition of more recent improvements. It's a well written page turner.

Well, here am I. The only American who has not finished reading "The Da Vinci Code"! I am so far behind modern literature that it just makes me....want to take another cruise! Think I'll bring along "Valley of the Dolls":)!! Rev Neal, I sincerely hope that our Oct. 7, 2006 Zaandam is not a "sexual bacchanalia"!! (Well, not too much. I have to have my Toga re-sized and fitted, and again spray-paint my laurel leaf crown:))!! I think this book needs to be one of the "amenities" on our cruise! Mahalo!

"The Mouse Betrayed". A book I read a few years ago about the behind the scenes debauchery and corporate shinanigans at the mighty Disney Corp. ,specifically Disney World, Florida. I thought it was well done. Lots of facts and documentation to support some claims.

Big companies are big targets. Disney, Carnival, Wal-Mart, Catholic Church, Uncle Sam. All have skeletons and a dark side seemingly. Question is when exposed, is it qualified journalism or is there a hidden agenda? Nowadays facts are cleverly mixed with fiction alla the aforementioned "Davinci Code" and any Oliver Stone movie.

I've got my hold request filed with the Indy Public Library...hopefully they'll be able to get it for me in time for Zuidy. Try reading that by the pool, and see how much attention you're paid by the crew!

Just got off line - purchased a "package" of both books (Devils on the Deep Blue Sea and Cruise Ship Blues) for a combined total of $26.94 (free shipping) from Amazon. Thought you might like to know.

Archived