Alcohol found in checked luggage...

I've packed wine bottles and corkscrew in checked luggage on our last two cruises and never a problem at the airport or ship. I bubblewrapped them and packed them in the middle of clothes and it worked fine. We leave them out in the cabins and nothing was ever said.

If RCCL see something on their x-ray they reckon looks like alcohol, what can/do they do about it?

I'm sure that they "can" confiscate it, but I don't think they have the man power, or at this point, the inclination to do anything about taking away liquor that is packed in your checked in bags.

They will, however, take liquor that you have purchased in port and bring back aboard, and display the bottles just to make a point. They have been doing that for years. So nothing new there.

The new thing for RCCL is to have Starbaord Services stop selling liquor by the bottle in their retail shop, for consumption onboard.

All of this being understood, those that choose to BYOB, should have no more problems that you have experienced in the past.

Rick

I don't think they xray checked luggage. If they did, they would tell you not to put film in like they do at the airport.

The porters in Galveston asked us if we had any cameras or film in our checked bags. They must scan them using an airport-type X-ray there. I don't remember if they asked in Miami.

If RCCL see something on their x-ray they reckon looks like alcohol, what can/do they do about it?

They can & sometimes will hold your bags & not deliver them to your cabin. Instead you get a note asking you to come to some place in the bowels of the ship. You get on a line. They ask you to identify your luggage. Then they ask you to open it & remove the item. Then they confiscate it, put your cabin # on it & tell you they will return it to you at the end of the cruise.

I do not know what happens if you refuse to open the bags for them.

Just returned from a Meditterranean cruise on the LOS out of Southampton, UK.. and my husband was very pleased to have the chance to purchase some whiskey at the terminal in Gibralter... to our surprise at the snackbar as he paid for a newspaper. We had our time in port cut short there ,and had no chance to get to the city center, which really left him dissappointed. We had expected the bottles...inside his backpack...to be confiscated as the bag went through the scanner, and held for us. However, that didn't happen.. nor did anyone question us..and we freely carried the bottles to our cabin. As it was, we didn't open them until at home, but we were not an isolated case. The family at our dining room table bought several bottles ashore and brought them back in clear view,as did many others I observed. There seemed to be no concern at all. Hello, btw, to Rubrrick...pleased to see you online..Carol and Danny from Derby..you gave us lots of info before our cruise on LOS July 30. Met Runi from C&A and understand you inquired about us...fantastic cruise..would like to talk with you about it..reply if interested. Carol

They can & sometimes will hold your bags & not deliver them to your cabin. Instead you get a note asking you to come to some place in the bowels of the ship. You get on a line. They ask you to identify your luggage. Then they ask you to open it & remove the item. Then they confiscate it, put your cabin # on it & tell you they will return it to you at the end of the cruise.

I do not know what happens if you refuse to open the bags for them.

Thanks for the info,- very useful. we're not used to using this site, so I hope that this gets back to you ok...

trish1c - did this happen to you personally?

I have watched the porters at the piers on all our cruises and they just seem to pile the luggage into those cages to the brim.How they could possibly Xray all that luggage and get it to the cabins as quickly as possible is beyond me. You know what it is like, people start to panic if they have not got their cases within an hour of boarding !!!

They cut off the locks on DH suitcase on the Splendour. He had three cans of Bandits, tobacco, in his checked luggage. I assume that they thought they were suspicious as they are metal. They opened the bag and took them out of the plastic ziplock, and then put them back in the luggage.

Honestly, unless your booze bottles are metal, they're not going to show up as much on the x-ray, especially if they're mixed in with your clothing. If they want to find the booze, they won't be relying on the x-ray, they'll be opening all or most of the bags. I don't believe they'll do this.

Hello, btw, to Rubrrick...pleased to see you online..Carol and Danny from Derby..you gave us lots of info before our cruise on LOS July 30. Met Runi from C&A and understand you inquired about us...fantastic cruise..would like to talk with you about it..reply if interested. Carol

Yes, I emailed Runi about you two and she emailed me back saying that you had stopped by to say your good byes! You can email me rby1@earthlink.net I would love to hear about your cruise and if Captain Nik was his usual congenial self.

Rick

We were on the Mariner in April and we even loaded coolers as long as they are closed securly they will send it on. We took several cases of beer, and several bottles of liquor for a group of 25 nothing was ever said

Archived