Recent Conquest cruisers... how does muster drill work these days?

Sundiego

We'll be on the Conquest in January. Curious if the safety drill is held inside (show lounge, dining room, etc.) or outside by the lifeboats. Any recent Conquest cruisers out there who can tell me how it's handled now?

Thanks!!

Hi fellow San Diegan!

Muster is outdoors and quite crowded!!

We were on the Conquest this past October.

We enjoyed the cruise but muster was packed and uncomfortable!

That's not the answer I wanted lol but thanks for the fast reply :)

We'll be on the Conquest in January. Curious if the safety drill is held inside (show lounge, dining room, etc.) or outside by the lifeboats. Any recent Conquest cruisers out there who can tell me how it's handled now?

Thanks!!

Only on the Dream class and newer ships do they hold muster inside.

That's not the answer I wanted lol but thanks for the fast reply :)

Muster drill locations will not change over the life of the ship. Unless the indoor public spaces have been designed to meet the SOLAS requirements for a muster location (ingress, egress, total space/pax, proximity to boats, etc.), the cruise lines cannot just decide to change locations. They could try, but it would involve a major study by forensic engineers to determine if the spaces met the requirements, and then class would have to sign off on it, and the flag state as well. Lots of cost.

Muster drill locations will not change over the life of the ship. Unless the indoor public spaces have been designed to meet the SOLAS requirements for a muster location (ingress, egress, total space/pax, proximity to boats, etc.), the cruise lines cannot just decide to change locations. They could try, but it would involve a major study by forensic engineers to determine if the spaces met the requirements, and then class would have to sign off on it, and the flag state as well. Lots of cost.

That's interesting. Thanks for posting the explanation!

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Conquest this past November, and the muster drill was the only complaint I had during the entire voyage. I don't have a problem with the drill itself, but my family and I were at our station on time, and then had to stand there and wait another 45 mins for all the stragglers to decide to show up.

Interesting. We have only done drills on Princess (inside). Do you bring the PFD or leave it in the room?

LOL Nothing like Princess, with nice AC indoors and in the lounges. Quick, easy and organized. Carnivals are stand outside near the boats, forever, in too much heat and count the drunks fall down at only 3 in the afternoon. Remember to bend your knees.

I was on Carnival Ecstasy 2 weeks ago, and the Muster drill was horrible, it was almost an hour long and we had to go inside first for the presentation and then we had to all file outside by the life boats. So it was both inside and outside. I had never seen that before.

Any idea where the muster drill is for wheelchair users ?

They moved us on a case by case basis to either the library or the dining room on deck 4 for those of us whose station was on that floor. We just sailed on Conquest on Jan 9-17, 2016. I don't know about other places they might have stationed people who needed the help.