Tropical Storm Rita

lele100

This is my second booking I had to make, due to hurricanes I was supposed to go on the Imagination when Katrina hit miami, and they cancelled the cruise I rebooked for this coming Thursday, and guess what here comes what might be "Rita", right now it is a tropical drepression expected to be a storm by this evening headed towards south florida and then mexico (the path of my cruise)

I am so mad

084622W_sm.gif

Yeah that is why it is so hard to plan anything during hurricane season...:p Living in FL my DH and I have learned to vacation before May and after the middle of November, which can be really difficut at times to plan! Hopefully your cruise will still go on and you will have a blast!! :D

I know what you mean...I leave in two weeks. I'm watching the area behind Phillippe and Rita.

But...

it's the chance we take when we book during hurricane season.

(At least I sold my beach house and have one less thing to worry about.)

I hate that you are having so much trouble. I understand how you must be feeling.

Tef, I'm sure that *many* others do not plan during hurricane season, but *many* others only have certain times during the year they can travel, that is the reason that cruise lines offer trips during hurricane season. :rolleyes:

How about lets try and make the op feel better instead of making them feel even worse?

Sorry about the possibility of Rita effecting your cruise. I'm one of those who enjoys cruising in the Fall- I'll take dodging Hurricanes over a ship overloaded with kids any day of the week! No offense to all the families out there, they just aren't for me; especially on my vacation.

I find the Fall season to be a bit milder on the islands and a fewer crowds, so I'm able to enjoy my vacation much more even though I may not see as much sun as those travelling in the Spring and Summer.

October is my favorite month to travel and we primarily do the islands via cruise or All Inclusive.

First of all, it's a little too early to start stressing on this one.... BREATHE. 2nd, look at the path and think about it... look at where it is projected for Thursday and where you are leaving from.... if it DOES go as projected, which things could of course change, she will be well out of the way for your cruise. Try not to stress about it...

Not again. Looks like it's projected between Galveston and Mexico sometime Friday or Saturday! http://hurricane.weathercenter.com/ click on tracking map. We are scheduled for the Elation on Saturday out of Galveston.:confused:

I don't think we are meant to go on this cruise. Rescheduled when hubby lost job, then when I broke my leg and then because of Katrina. Just received third set of docs for this one cruise this week! Maybe we should just give up. :( I know... don't book during hurricane season but they usually stay in the Atlantic this time of year and this is when hubby can take vacation. (Notice I said usually stay in the Atlantic!):) :) Just not been our year.

thanks for those words "cruisin sisters", I am just alittle upset because this is our second try, it also seems to me that is was not meant to be, what are the chances the two times we picked both times storms or hurricanes,

I am hoping I will make it this time, we'll see,

Famous words " It is what it is" there is nothing I can do to change it

I don't know if anybody will be taking a cruise that stops at or near Key West early this week, but we're officially under a hurricane watch till Tuesday night. Schools & county offices are closed Mon. and Tue. So, if your itinerary was for this area, you'll probably be diverted. Just wanted to give you all a heads up!

I too love cruising in October....and the eleven other months for that matter....:D ! We're scheduled to leave from Jacksonville on October 3, 2005. I can't wait...I don't care if we do nothing but lay around our cabin...it's time away! I'm having major spinal surgery on October 17, 2005 so this is meant to be a "last hurrah" if you will, since I will not be allowed in a car for at least 3 months after surgery.

Let's hope that the storm season is about to blow itself out! I really want to be

Cruisin' Susan! 7_6_4.gif

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM RITA ADVISORY NUMBER 4

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

5 PM EDT SUN SEP 18 2005

...17TH TROPICAL STORM OF THE ATLANTIC SEASON FORMS...

...NEW WATCHES ISSUED FOR SOUTHERN FLORIDA AND FOR CUBA...

AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS ISSUED FOR THE

EXTREME SOUTHEASTERN FLORIDA PENINSULA FROM DEERFIELD BEACH

SOUTHWARD TO FLORIDA CITY AND CONTINUING WESTWARD TO EAST CAPE

SABLE.

AT 5 PM EDT... THE GOVERNMENT OF CUBA HAS ISSUED A HURRICANE WATCH

FOR THE PROVINCES OF VILLA CLARA...MATANZAS...CIUDAD DE HABANA...LA

HABANA...AND PINAR DEL RIO...AND A TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR THE

PROVINCES OF CIEGO DE AVILA...SANCTI SPIRITUS...AND CIENFUEGOS.

A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF THE FLORIDA KEYS FROM

OCEAN REEF SOUTHWARD AND WESTWARD TO DRY TORTUGAS...INCLUDING

FLORIDA BAY.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE TURKS AND CAICOS

ISLANDS...AND FOR THE SOUTHEAST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS.

A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE

WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS. A TROPICAL

STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED

WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. A TROPICAL STORM

WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE

WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE

INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED

BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM RITA WAS LOCATED

NEAR LATITUDE 22.2 NORTH... LONGITUDE 72.7 WEST OR ABOUT 355

MILES... 570 KM... EAST-SOUTHEAST OF NASSAU.

RITA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 10 MPH...17 KM/HR. A WEST TO

WEST-NORTHWESTWARD MOTION IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON

THIS TRACK...RITA WILL BE MOVING OVER THE EASTERN AND CENTRAL

BAHAMAS TONIGHT AND MONDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 40 MPH... 65 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES... 110

KM... MAINLY TO THE NORTH FROM THE CENTER.

THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE RECENTLY MEASURED BY AN AIR FORCE

HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE WAS 1005 MB...29.68 INCHES.

Official Forecast...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1805W5+gif/205645W_sm.gif

Latest Satellite...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

Computer Models...

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png

... I'm having major spinal surgery on October 17, 2005 so this is meant to be a "last hurrah" if you will, since I will not be allowed in a car for at least 3 months after surgery.

Not to hijack the thread, but...

best wishes for a relaxing cruise and hopes for a speedy recovery.

wonderful, we are booked on the imagination 9/22. :(

You should be fine by Thursday. We've been told that unless things go really off what they expect, we're expected to be back at work here in Key West on Wednesday. We're west of Miami, so the storm shouldn't be anywhere near there by the time you embark on Thursday. Imagination is still sailing out of Miami, right?

8pm advisory out from the Hurricane Center, Rita know is getting better organized and winds have increased to 50mph, Good luck to anyone who has to come in her path. I am in Ft Lauderdale area, the north end of the cone. These storms are so unpredictible!!!

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast just about the center of the broad band of possible directions. We have a lot of the New Orleans evacuees in our area. Here's hoping it doesn't gain much strength and heads for some unpopulated area.

I am wondering the same thing. Local weather here in Texas just said that we should start being effected by Friday and the hurricane center tracking map looks as though it will come in Saturday morning. http://hurricane.weathercenter.com/Just click on tracking map. It does not look good! Can't believe it's happening again. This is our third try to take this cruise. Just got our 3rd set of docs for it.:( Wonder when Carnival will post anything?

Archived