Cruise Line or Travel Agent?

PetesMom7695

Hi - it's been years since I've cruised and last time I dealt directly with Carnival. Will be using them again when their new 2018 schedule comes out. My question is do I get the same 'deals' that Carnival is offering as a previous cruiser (like cabin upgrade etc) if I use a travel agent instead? Thanks.

Edited by PetesMom7695

One of those options has your best interest at heart, so you will continue to give them business so will go out of your way for you.

The other one just wants you to sign up and won't suggest anything other than exactly what you request.

And TA's get all the same deals plus more. If there's ever a problem with a booking or a cruiseline, they are your advocate.

Edited by Nitemare

Hi - it's been years since I've cruised and last time I dealt directly with Carnival. Will be using them again when their new 2018 schedule comes out. My question is do I get the same 'deals' that Carnival is offering as a previous cruiser (like cabin upgrade etc) if I use a travel agent instead? Thanks.

Welcome to cruise critic.

Shop around and see what any TA's (online agencies as well as the bricks and mortar stores) will/can offer, often it is the same or more than dealing direct, however, sometimes it isn't, hence the shopping around.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Not only will you get the same deals Carnival is offering but you are likely to get some other perks as well. I have dealt with three different travel agents for cruises and have gotten at least a bottle of wine usually more (like onboard credit) from booking with them.

If you don't have a travel agent, do a google search for "cruise travel agents" since we cannot recommend TAs on Cruise Critic.

Check both TA's and the cruise line itself and see which is better.

You have to call and speak to the TA's because what is listed on-line is not necessarily what you will be quoted. I am new at cruising so I am learning how to go about getting the best deal I can. The last two cruises I booked through a TA were less than what the website showed. The website showed what the cruise line showed. The first cruise I booked I went directly through the cruise line and got nothing thrown in--no OBC, no bottle of wine, etc.--so it appears to me that I am getting a better deal through the TA.

Edited by Kmangel

I always say I'm going to book through the cruise line so I can handle price drops and changes myself. I hate playing phone tag with a travel agent when there are issues to deal with. I would prefer to just handle it myself immediately, I guess I'm impatient. But I always end up using a travel agent because of the perks they give me. Our last cruise we got our gratuities paid for our family of 4 for an 8 day cruise. The one we just booked for this summer we got $350 on board credit and drink vouchers. I don't know how long it's been since you've sailed but Carnival and most all of the cruise lines no longer allow a cruise to be sold for cheaper than what they advertise. The travel agents can no longer discount the cruise price. So they give you a discount in a different way like wine, OBC, drink vouchers, or paid gratuities. If you go online with Carnival you can input your past guest number to get that discount. And you can also click on other discounts you're eligible for like being a senior, being in the military, etc. That way you know the best price you can get through Carnival before going to a travel agent to get a price quote from them. I do this every time before booking. But yes, travel agents can give you all of the past guest discounts if you book with them. But I would suggest going online with Carnival first and making sure what the lowest possible price is first. :)

If you're playing phone tag with your TA either you have the wrong TA or you need to make yourself more available to him/her.

We both work more than full time but my TA calls me back at the time I tell him I'll be available in a message I leave him, or more often than not, we e-mail each other all the info so there's no just leaving a message.

I never use travel agents. I search cruises on my own. I have gotten great deals that ways.

My TA gave us an additional $475 OBC over and above what the cruise line's best deal was on our next cruise. How can the cruise line beat that since they already are giving OBC as part of their "deal"?

Edited by sloopsailor

My TA gave us an additional $475 OBC over and above what the cruise line's best deal was on our next cruise. How can the cruise line beat that since they already are giving OBC as part of their "deal"?

Perhaps they are confusing the term TA and restricting them to the Bricks and mortar type establishments and not including on line agencies (which is where I find the best deals).

I always say I'm going to book through the cruise line so I can handle price drops and changes myself. I hate playing phone tag with a travel agent when there are issues to deal with. I would prefer to just handle it myself immediately, I guess I'm impatient. But I always end up using a travel agent because of the perks they give me. Our last cruise we got our gratuities paid for our family of 4 for an 8 day cruise. The one we just booked for this summer we got $350 on board credit and drink vouchers. I don't know how long it's been since you've sailed but Carnival and most all of the cruise lines no longer allow a cruise to be sold for cheaper than what they advertise. The travel agents can no longer discount the cruise price. So they give you a discount in a different way like wine, OBC, drink vouchers, or paid gratuities. If you go online with Carnival you can input your past guest number to get that discount. And you can also click on other discounts you're eligible for like being a senior, being in the military, etc. That way you know the best price you can get through Carnival before going to a travel agent to get a price quote from them. I do this every time before booking. But yes, travel agents can give you all of the past guest discounts if you book with them. But I would suggest going online with Carnival first and making sure what the lowest possible price is first. :)

Actually, it's "cannot lower the (PUBLISHED) price." As for playing TA phone tag: you may want to look for a TA with a cell phone.