Cruise Director Rotation?

sailsalot

Hi all!

I've been reading several posts with regard to the QM2 Cruise Director, and how his "personality" doesn't really fit with the Cunard passengers or environment. We experienced him during our 4th of July cruise, and definitely agree that he doesn't come close to the quality of other Cruise Directors we've had on previous sailings on Caronia, QE2 and QM2. Is there any hope that they'll rotate him off QM2? We'll be sailing on the ship in January, and I'm definitely hoping for a different Cruise Director.

I really do not know what all the fuss is about with Brian Price. I confess I only saw him at two organized events (the Welcome Show and the John Cleese Interviews in the Royal Court Theater), but when I did, he was fine. I give the man credit for not getting on my radar while I was off enjoying the QM2.

Paul

I agree with those posters who say move Brian Price- we had Ray Rouse as CD in May 2004- and he was great- understated but friendly and professional. This May we had Brian Price- who acted as if he owned the ship and made sure we heard his voice at every opportunity- from the morning TV program to every event onboard. Even at the captains cocktail party he was omnipresent along with his deputy cruise director- david pepper who introduced himself to us as if he were someone famous that we would want to know!! We were hoping Brian and David may not be onboard for the December 8 Caribbean Explorers- we much prefer the more understated style of Ray Rouse...

Ray Rouse was cruise director on the 11 July westbound crossing and on the return eastbound. We really did not think much of him or of his "How to fill in the customer survey" t.v. lecture.

We have found the best ones seem to be on the smaller ships, can't recall his name, (Andrew??), but the guy on Caronia up to her trasfer to Saga was the best we have known. Friendly, hands on and always in view around the ship. Maybe this is a big ship problem.

David.

Ray Rouse was cruise director on the 11 July westbound crossing and on the return eastbound. We really did not think much of him or of his "How to fill in the customer survey" t.v. lecture.

David.

Are you sure it was Ray and not Brian? He lectured repeatedly on how we should mark all things 10 out of 10 unless they were really bad- and he couldnt believe anything would be bad! Drove us mad!

No, was certainly Ray Rouse as on the daily programme I have. Maybe they are clones, or could it be that management instruct them to give this t.v. presentation. It does seem odd that both should give similar ones.

David.

we had Ray Rouse as CD in May 2004- and he was great- understated but friendly and professional. ...

I agree with you. Ray Rouse was aboard the QM2 Independence Cruise in 2004, very genuine, friendly chap. I can't say the same for Brian Price who we had last March 9, something about that guy, no warmth of character, phony way about him.

I quite liked the Assistant Cruise Director, David Pepper. After we purchased a horse for the Owner's Race, he was so appreciative, each time we passed him throughout the ship, he thanked us profusely.

It reminded me of that John Cleese bit from Time Bandits. "Thank you very much, thank you very, very, much. Thank you very,very, ve-e-e-e-ry, much....what awful people."

Cruiserking

Mufi,

You're right about the Cruise Director on Caronia until the transfer to Saga. That was David Pepper up until the end of the Spain cruise, and then for the last 2 or 3 cruises until the transfer, David's assistant cruise director, Brian Townsend, took over as cruise director. He was a young man, but also wonderful in the position. They were super with the Cunard passengers and had a great rapport with both passengers and crew.

We have found the best ones seem to be on the smaller ships, can't recall his name, (Andrew??), but the guy on Caronia up to her trasfer to Saga was the best we have known. Friendly, hands on and always in view around the ship.

David, you are right. Andrew Graham was really good. He was cruise director onboard Caronia for many years and really made you feel welcome in a special way. He was definitely there to host the passengers.

Unfortunately he had left when I sailed the Caronia for the last time a couple of weeks before its end and we had to suffer from Carnival entertainment type David Pepper.

As reported by other members of the cruise staff (thus not verified) Andrew declined to work for Cunard anymore and even to return for the very final Caronia cruise because he objected to the route Carnival-Cunard takes.

Brian Price was the CD when I was on in April and again in July. Move him to Carnival. Quick.

Well, When I did the return crossing recently in October (Southampton 14th/ NY 20th), I was very pleased with Brian Price. To me, he was very professional, very experienced. Perhaps a bit traditionnal, but alll that sounded good to me. I see no reason to move him!

Jacques O,

Well, I finally got around to checking the daily programs from July 4th 2005 cruise, and found our cruise director to be Brian Price. Obviously people's opinions differ on him. But for me and my past experiences sailing on Cunard, he didn't seem to be a good fit. That's just my two cents on it! :)

I was on the same trip as Jacques O and personally had no problem with Brain Price. I approached him throughout the trip and had a few very nice conversations. Yes, some of his emcee skills seemed a bit scripted but, it certainly wasn't a turn off. He was pleasant, always said hello and even came to a meeting I was attending and gave us a run down of everything he does on board.

Russ

I was on the same trip as Jacques O and personally had no problem with Brain Price. I approached him throughout the trip and had a few very nice conversations. Yes, some of his emcee skills seemed a bit scripted but, it certainly wasn't a turn off. He was pleasant, always said hello and even came to a meeting I was attending and gave us a run down of everything he does on board.

Russ

He reminded me of Hughie Green at his worst - smarmy, condascending, grease oozing from every pour.

I think he even said on stage "and i mean that most sincerely folks" :D

Archived