What the heck is Tanzanite !!!

IrishBoy

Hi Gang

Just got off the Victory & Imagination in October and if I ever hear the word Tanzanite again I will jump off the nearest bridge...what is this stuff I never heard of it before but never heard so much about it for 7 days on the cruise, do the cruise lines own a mine or what...observations please.

:confused:

Tanzanite is a very rare stone mined only in Tanzania (hence the name). And its getting harder to come by, so prices are going through the roof. I know, with the way its advertised everywhere on cruises you'd think they had acres of the stuff. Its actually quite beautiful though. And a really good investment, considering the mines are pretty much shut down.

From the web:

"Tanzanite is relatively new on the gemstone market, but has left its mark. Its blue-lavender color is rather unique and a wonderful addition to the gemstone palette. Found in Tanzania (hence the name) in 1967, it has since become a well known and widely distributed gemstone. It has become so popular that in October of 2002 the American Gem Trade Association (AGTA) announced that tanzanite had joined turquoise and zircon in the traditional list of birthstones for the month of December.

Nearly all tanzanite has been heat treated to generate the beautiful violet-blue color this stone is known for. When first mined, most stones are a muted green color. The only known source of Tanzanite is a five square mile hilltop at Merelani, ten miles south of the Kilimanjaro International Airport in Tanzania."

Actually, tanzanite is considered a precious gem and varies in color from pale lavendar or purple to a deep rich blue. The bluer the stone, the more expensive it is. On occasion, its per carat price is more than diamond. Allegedly, the reason tanzanite is so expensive is that there is only one mine in the world that produces it. The mine is owned by a family that shuts production down from time to time to keep the prices artificially high on the stone. I have read enough articles on tanzanite to think there's some truth to that story. My wife has a number of tanzanite pieces, from rings to bracelets. We bought a tanzanite stone at a gem show a couple of years ago that my wife made into a ring for me. It truly is a beautiful gemstone if you can find those that run more toward the bluish colors.

Tanzanite is a gemstone, a fairly high value gemstone at that if you get a good quality stone. It is sought after because it has only been found in one place (Tanzania, duh, LOL)... the class it is in is just below the emerald, rubies and sapphires. It looks similar to a sapphire (a good quality one at least) and they can be pretty pricey. The "supply" has dwindled over the years, and is in high demand. They sell a great bit of it in the Caribbean... probably why you hear so much about it. However, we looked at several stones on the ship, and the pricing was not that good. My mother has worked in fine jewelry for 20 years, and was somewhat impressed with the quality of some of the stones, but said their "sale" pricing was not what they made it out to be...

I guess my question really was how in hell do you get the stuff valued, if its from Tanzania (I have travelled the world and never heard of the stuff) if i buy diamonds I can get them valued, gold also, but some obscure rock from Africa that has ended up in the Carribean i just dont know where I would go. Observations please.

;)

I guess my question really was how in hell do you get the stuff valued, if its from Tanzania (I have travelled the world and never heard of the stuff) if i buy diamonds I can get them valued, gold also, but some obscure rock from Africa that has ended up in the Carribean i just dont know where I would go. Observations please.

;)

Any reputable jeweler... Believe me, it is sold here in the states as well. Not just the carribean. It is a very popular gemstone! Any fine jeweler will be able to give you an appraisal.

;)

Tanzanite is not obscure by any means. While it is considered rare, you should have no problems getting a Tanzanite piece appraised. This stone is well known to jewelers and jewelry appraisers. One of my most treasured pieces is a 4.5 carat tanzanite (not acquired via Carnival). I do agree, however, that the Carnival hype over their tanzanite is a bit annoying.:rolleyes:

Also in the Carabbien you can find the stone at amuch better quality then in the states. Years ago I bought a ring in I think ST Thomas, and paid quite a bit for it. Yet, I have never seen a stone in the US that can hold up to this ring, and they are charging as much as I paid.

I know what you mean about the cruise lines talking up a lot of what to buy on port calls, but in this instance I think they are doing the passengers a service. I have owned this ring for at least 10 years now and I still have strangers comment to me on this ring!

You can find very good quality stones in the states, at your more upscale jewelers, but you will still pay a pretty penny for it. My mother always got it for a great price from one of her dealers overseas, and paid cost for it... considering the markup in jewelry, she got some great deals. Her store was one of the very few in this area to carry it. She has some beautiful pieces, and wanted to buy some on the ship... but the pricing was still a bit high. The quality was good though... some of the prettier stones I have seen. We didn't look off the ship... we'll do that next time!!!

They sell Tanzanite at Walmart!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3258622

Amanda

LOL, yup... in looking at the pic, you can tell it's not good quality by the color alone, you can't get that much good quality tanzanite for $200 ;) ... Not knocking someone buying jewelry from wal mart, but if you are looking for a good quality stone, I'd look to a jeweler ;)

Is the first time you heard of tanzanite was on a cruise ship? It was for Derfette and I.

If I give Derfette jewelry with tanzamite will she say. Just what I've always wanted a tanzanize ring. And I get lucky that night?

LOL, Derf, you are too much!!!

You know how us women like our jewels ;)!!!! Seriously, if you get her a nice piece of tanzanite, she would love you for it :D They truly are beautiful gems...

Well here is my opinion and not a particular popular one: I did buy some ear rings in St Thomas a couple of years ago and they were not cheap considering the size of the stones. It is a very pretty stone, but that is as far as I will go. My reason and those of you who have been cruising for years should agree: We have been told, there is only one Tanzanite mine and when it dries up that will be the end, so BUY NOW> Well we have been told this since the first time I cruised (1984) I am beginning to think that mine must be the biggest mine ever. If you like the stone and really see a piece of jewelry that turns you on: go for it, if you are buying it cause it is going to continue to increase in value, I am the eternal skeptic. NMnita

Well here is my opinion and not a particular popular one: I did buy some ear rings in St Thomas a couple of years ago and they were not cheap considering the size of the stones. It is a very pretty stone, but that is as far as I will go. My reason and those of you who have been cruising for years should agree: We have been told, there is only one Tanzanite mine and when it dries up that will be the end, so BUY NOW> Well we have been told this since the first time I cruised (1984) I am beginning to think that mine must be the biggest mine ever. If you like the stone and really see a piece of jewelry that turns you on: go for it, if you are buying it cause it is going to continue to increase in value, I am the eternal skeptic. NMnita

I don't know if this is still the case, a couple of years ago I heard that people were being asked to boycott buying tanzanite as it was being use to finance terrorist and other illegal activities. Seems like it was from a reputable source but I don't recall where or how I heard it. If people were truly doing that though, the price should have gone down instead of up.

But, in any case, tanzanite is a beautiful stone!

people were being asked to boycott buying tanzanite as it was being use to finance terrorist and other illegal activities.

Hostility between local small-scale tanzanite miners and African Gem Resources Co. (AFGEM) escalated to violence over Easter weekend.

from

http://www.tucsonshowguide.com/stories/may01/merelani.cfm

Africa's new bloodstained gems

from

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25484

Archived