Norway - Latest News

marktac

Accordidng to Maritime Matters...

NORWAY Remains Afloat

August 12: Despite recent high tides, BLUE LADY (ex NORWAY, FRANCE) has not been beached and remains at anchor in heavy swells off Pipavav Port, near Alang, India. Two tugs that are to deliver the famed liner to her final resting place are having difficulty securing lines to her in the raging seas. The next high tide is at the end of August, but her breaker may attempt a beaching sooner, if conditions permit. Further court filings by an Indian based NGO have been made public in the media, while torrential rains and flooding in Gujarat and other states have caused chaos and disruption across large parts of India.

Looks like the Dubai buyer is not a player.

Mark T

NCL agreed to have the SS UNITED STATES as it's flagship but based upon their behavior with NORWAY there is little doubt she and the INDEPENDENCE are doomed vessels. Our government gave NCL an American company perhaps not fully understanding what kind of company Star Cruises would turn out to be. Does anyone really believe they will restore the UNITED STATES or INDEPENDENCE?

NCL agreed to have the SS UNITED STATES as it's flagship but based upon their behavior with NORWAY there is little doubt she and the INDEPENDENCE are doomed vessels. Our government gave NCL an American company perhaps not fully understanding what kind of company Star Cruises would turn out to be. Does anyone really believe they will restore the UNITED STATES or INDEPENDENCE?

I'm really not sure why folks are mad at Star/NCL over the Norway. This is a ship that is over forty years old and if it were not for NCL this ship would have been beached years ago and cut up. NCL extended her life for many more years than most would have thought. She served her purpose and now the time has come for her to go. Sad but this is life.

Oh horse feathers - no other cruise company had the moxie to try one more time to make an American flagged ship work. We can cry over rusting piles of steel full of great memories or hope the risk pays off for the thousands of US workers it will employee.

I'm really not sure why folks are mad at Star/NCL over the Norway. This is a ship that is over forty years old and if it were not for NCL this ship would have been beached years ago and cut up. NCL extended her life for many more years than most would have thought. She served her purpose and now the time has come for her to go. Sad but this is life.

Thanks-I was starting to think I was the only one who felt like that!

-Monte

No for the Independence, it's just too small at less than 24,000 tons. Golly, NCL is already transfering the 50,000 tons Wind to Star Cruises next year, and has already sold the 34,000 tons Crown to Fred Olsen. The 40,000 tons Majesty and 50,000 tons Dream will soon follow. I'm hoping they can find a buyer for it, but even the small luxury American market wants new ships.

Maybe for United States, if NCLA proves they can turn a profit paying larger American crew wages. As it, it's is also on the small size at 53,290 tons.

Yet, at 990 feet long, it's too long for St. George Harbour in Bermuda. With added decks and spaces that occur during refurbishment, like what NCL did to the Norway, it could grow another 10,000 tons, up to 63,000 tons. But it still wouldn't be NCLA's flagship, as the Pride of Hawaii would hold that honor at 93,000 tons.

After NCL gets rid of all it's older, not design for freestyle, ships, by the end of 2010, the smallest ship in NCL's fleet would be the Spirit, at 76,800 tons. So, even after refurbishment, the United States would be the smallest ship in NCL's fleet.

But, the insides of this ship has been stripped away, except for the machinery and boiler rooms. Much of the abestos is gone. With a clean slate, it will be far easier for NCL to make it into a Freestyle ship than the Norway. It will also be cheaper on NCLA to refurbish the United States than build an entire new American built cruise ship.

The US government did not give NCL an American company. NCL created it on its own. Any cruise line could do the same. The US government gave NCL an exemption of Passenger Service Act so it could operate and reflag three foreign built ships for Hawaii service.

Thanks for the info...it would be nice to see a few real and legitimate photos of the grand lady on the beach as proof before they start tearing her apart.:cool:

I am disappointed with the folks who run this CC Board since I though they would be on top of this breaking story and running updates in the News section...guess I was wrong!

Oh horse feathers - no other cruise company had the moxie to try one more time to make an American flagged ship work. We can cry over rusting piles of steel full of great memories or hope the risk pays off for the thousands of US workers it will employee.

Horse Feathers:confused: :D

I do not understand the indignation of the treatment of these ships. The Norway was kept into service as long as she was able and I commend NCL for that. They have a business to run and there is no sentiment in business...not when it affects the bottom line.

I really wish all of you could see the rusting hulk that sits in the Delaware (SSUS) and try to fantasize that it could become a viable, working cruise ship:rolleyes: .....IMO.......not.

I, for one, mourn the passing of a remarkably beautiful ship today. :( I understand very well the business decision that was made, but still, it is a sad day in the cruise industry as a little bit of history and a lot of class is gone.

BTW, the Norway could have been restored and used as a museum/hotel, much like the Queen Mary is. Although I can't vouch for her condition today when she was beached, while she remained in service she was never a "rust bucket".

This from Maritime Matters:

Quote:

August 14: From our contact: "I saw the lady and waited for her beaching today in Alang. At last minute it was postponed to tomorrow morning (August 15) and she will be at Alang beach at 7:30 AM.

"From a distance she is quite a sight: graceful and marvelous are the words that come to me. Sadly, also tied up with two monstrous tugs for her last voyage, though."

According to Norwegian newspapers the Indian authoritys wants the norwegian authoritys to save the ****. The ship has 1200 tons of asbestos on it. And lot's of other very dangerous things, such as PCB. It can be a disaster for the environment in that part of india.

To use the ship again for cruises with passengers is impossible.

I, for one, mourn the passing of a remarkably beautiful ship today. :( I understand very well the business decision that was made, but still, it is a sad day in the cruise industry as a little bit of history and a lot of class is gone.

BTW, the Norway could have been restored and used as a museum/hotel, much like the Queen Mary is. Although I can't vouch for her condition today when she was beached, while she remained in service she was never a "rust bucket".

I was referring to the SS United States as rusting away:rolleyes: in Philadelphia........the Delaware River.

As reported in the India press, the Norway today was doomed. What I don't understand is why it's going to take another month for them to be able to begin dismantling her. Why prolong the agony? Let those impoverished little shipbreakers get to work! They won! :mad:

I would assume in the coming month someone will photograph the ship; however, I read somewhere that the "beaching" would be 2km offshore. Because of her 35ft. draft perhaps?

NCL bought the American-built hulls, Independence and SSUS, to persuade Congress to allow them to sail exclusively around Hawaii. That accomplished, I feel certain that NCL will now renege, deeming those hulls unsalvageable after all, and they'll follow Norway to Alang.

As another poster said, it's business. The bottom line. No point in preserving history (or letting anyone else do so) if there aren't big bucks in it. That's why the world has no landmarks or museums. :(

Luv,

I agree with you 100%...can you imagine if several years ago when the Statue of Liberty was bascially falling apart and unsafe for visitors that the US government said it's too old so tear it down and we will build something new to replace it...now I know that the Norway is a ship but it is part of our history moreso than most other ships that have sailed or do sail the ocean. I don't think there would be a large following of cc members when the Fascination, Ecstacy, Wind, Sea or Nordic Empress are scrapped.

I believe the reason for the delay in cutting-up the Norway is due to the time it will take for the Indians to go into every cabin, lounge, restroom etc to remove all salvageable fixtures, furniture etc for sale onshore as well as removing any equipment that can be salvaged...:cool:

As reported in the India press, the Norway today was doomed. What I don't understand is why it's going to take another month for them to be able to begin dismantling her. Why prolong the agony? Let those impoverished little shipbreakers get to work! They won! :mad:

As another poster said, it's business. The bottom line. No point in preserving history (or letting anyone else do so) if there aren't big bucks in it. That's why the world has no landmarks or museums. :(

The "impoverished little shipbreakers" are doing a dirty job that many in this world would not do because they do need the jobs. It is a very hazardous job. I don`t think anyone "won".

The last time that I went out into the "world" there were plenty of "landmarks" and "museums":rolleyes: I am sure that you didn`t really mean that statement;)

Luv,

I believe the reason for the delay in cutting-up the Norway is due to the time it will take for the Indians to go into every cabin, lounge, restroom etc to remove all salvageable fixtures, furniture etc for sale onshore as well as removing any equipment that can be salvaged...:cool:

For heaven`s sake:( .........I don`t know why I am getting involved in this but I guess I detest mis-information..........everything that was salvageable was removed a very long time ago.

The bottom line. No point in preserving history (or letting anyone else do so) if there aren't big bucks in it. That's why the world has no landmarks or museums. :(

I agree, everything old must be saved! And in another 20-30 years, I'm gonna demand that I be saved ;)

No landmarks or museums??? And does the sun shine where you live?

-Monte

For heaven`s sake:( .........I don`t know why I am getting involved in this but I guess I detest mis-information..........everything that was salvageable was removed a very long time ago.

Unless you have some information that some of the German Norway interests didn't, it was reported only major art works where stripped. It was understood that much of the ship was still in very good shape.

I feel very sorry for the "impoverished little shipbreakers" that must break the Norway to make a living. However for the Government and the business that accepted the Norway, they are proving why India is still a third world country.

Archived