The Crew of the Noordam: Another Signature of Excellence

rkacruiser

Many of the crew with whom I spoke during my recent cruise aboard the Noordam have been aboard since the ship's Maiden Voyage. They are in the 10th month of their contract, working the long hours and the 7 days a week that they must do. Yet, none, absolutely none, showed any signs of "burn-out" or job fatigue. Always pleasant, always smiling, usually offering a greeting as one passed them in the corridors or in the public rooms. They seemed happy and eager to provide the best service that they possibly could.

I wonder how many of us would have such a positive attitude after 10 straight months of work?

One of Holland America's greatest strengths has to be the wonderful crew that staff their ships. They are one of the major reasons why I look forward to a cruise on one of the "-dam" ships.

[quote

One of Holland America's greatest strengths has to be the wonderful crew that staff their ships. They are one of the major reasons why I look forward to a cruise on one of the "-dam" ships.

Bob - You are EXACTLY right -The CREW is "the BEST" Our room steward this fall on the Noordam had a 3 month old at home he has never seen. I know of a similar incident in the dining room -an infant at home he had never seen. As you said "How many of us would be willing to work as hard as that- as LONG as that- without going home"

I had just written a post in answer to this ... and "fat fingered" the wrong key ... losing it all. :(

The gist of it was that the reason you don't see burnout among the HAL crews is because they use people primarily from underdeveloped countries, such as India and the Phillippines. Those folks know what it is like not to have enough. They grew up that way. So, here they land a job with HAL ... get sent to school to learn their trade ... and then have a pretty secure job that will last for as long as they want it ... as long as they keep their noses clean and do their jobs. A lot of these folks have no problem signing year-long contracts, because the money is not that bad from what they are used to. They have all of their living arrangements taken care of ... plus a nice pile of cash to send home to their families at the end of each month. And, as far as the long workdays ... maybe they don't mind them either. After all, what else is there to do when you are confined to a cruise ship for months at a time? It's not like those folks can sit at a passenger bar and enjoy a drink, or take in a show at the main theater. They are restricted to crew decks in their off-hours. I'm sure there are some recreational facilities available for them ... but probably not enough to fill hours at a time. So, they don't mind working. Passes the time til the end of their contract ... when they can once again go home and see their families.

HAL's crews know what it is like not to have enough. They probably grew up in that environment, and a job with the cruise lines puts their minds at ease ... they know they will be able to take care of their families now ... and at least no one will go without. Makes working those long hours worth it, don't you think?

Now contrast this attitude with that of the American crews on NCL's Hawaii-based ships. No, it's not that Americans don't like to work. It's just that we haven't been exposed to the scarcity and the rough conditions that growing up in certain parts of India or the Phillippines involves. They are also not used to 12 to 14 hour days. Most of us aren't. We don't work those kinds of hours here in the States ... at least not on a long-term basis with no days at all off. Sure, we might do it for a short period ... an accountant during tax season, a retailer during the holiday rush period ... but we don't do it for months at a time ... at least most of us don't. And that is precisely why the kids staffing the NCL ships probably, for the most part, can't hack a long contract ... can't hack those long hours seven-days a week. They sign on thinking they are basically gonna lead a glamorous life at sea ... seeing all the sights, traveling around the world. They get there and find out that they pretty much are gonna see the inside of their small cabin, and the smiling faces of all the passengers who are having a good time. They certainly aren't. So they get disgusted and their work slips. They burn out pretty quickly. And that is precisely why NCL can't keep staff. To us Americans, the money to be earned by those long hours is just not worth it. For the most part, we don't know what it is like to go hungry.

So, this ... in my humble opinion ... is the difference why you see a lot of hardworking service people on HAL ... people who, despite their daily hours and the rigor of their jobs ... always seem to have a smile on their face. It's their culture ... and from where they came.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Kyros:: See ya got fingered...pointing your way>>>>>:eek:

Yes the ms Noordam IV staff, officers, and crew are wonderful. Most of HALS are...

They have seperate schools in there stafss native country to train them well.

This does seperate the Cruise Lines from most of the others ..

Working on a ship does require a diifferent personality as well cultures on these ships.

The life they are able to provide there loved ones is so much better that is possible back in there areas they are from.

Isnt that the reason why Ellis Island got so many people going through it in NJ from the ships, also?

People still join the US NAVY *S*

Go SEALS!

The gist of it was that the reason you don't see burnout among the HAL crews is because they use people primarily from underdeveloped countries, such as India and the Phillippines

I'm sure it's just a 'slip of the tongue', Rita, but HAL's stewards are primarily from the Phillipines and Indonesia.

I soooo agree with everyone about how wonderful the crews on the ships are. They ARE HAL. How hard they work to make our cruises the best they can be. They are truly exceptional.

I'm sure it's just a 'slip of the tongue', Rita, but HAL's stewards are primarily from the Phillipines and Indonesia.

Yeah, my geography skills leave something to be desired.

Where is that school, though ... the one where they send HAL service workers to teach them the skills they need to work on the ships? I think it's in Jakarta? Is that India or Indonesia?

Blue skies ...

--rita

And my spelling skills stink too.. *S*

Jakarta, Indonesia is its Capitol NE corner of JAVA.No not SUN..*S*Founded by the Dutch in 1619.

Approx Population now is about 8.2 Million Souls.:cool:

Where is that school, though ... the one where they send HAL service workers to teach them the skills they need to work on the ships? I think it's in Jakarta? Is that India or Indonesia?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Blue skies ...

--rita

Jakarta and Manilla.

I have to agree, the crew on cruise ships do a wonderful job being "Deployed" away from home for 12 months, not seeing family, new born infants and the like. I made friends with some of the people on the Rotterdam and kept in contact with them for some time after the cruise. One who I got to know real well was making a career of the hospitality industry and had worked in hotels before doing a tour with HAL. He's now back in the Phillipines and has gotten married.

Only one other group of people I know go through the same thing but for different reasons. They may not be serving people on the ship itself but they are still serving people. There are people from the Phillipines on those ships that are painted gray also but still wear the same uniform as the rest of the crew. We also need to thank them for their service as well.:D

Let's face it, HAL has the best crew on the seas:) Not that there's anything wrong with the guys and girls on RCI, Princess, CCL, NCL, Cunard, you name it, from Italy, Portugal, Romania, Poland, Turkey, Jamaica, Honduras, etc. etc. but the staff from Indonesia and the P.I. make cruising on HAL just a great experience.

Great point, Chief!

Jakarta, Indonesia

Manilla, Phillipines

HAL has training schools in each city.

Thanks!

And, I hear that at least one of them ... the building housing it is actually in the shape of a ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am so pleased to see this topic raised on the boards.

I recently returned from my first ever cruise on the Noordam. Whilst she is a beautiful ship it was the attitude and character of the crew that made the trip the delight it was.

I am now wary that if I cruise again but on another line I may be disappointed!

One thing that did make me smile was that at the Disembarkation talk, the Cruise Director, Drew Murdoch, told us that the crews signed up for 8 or 12 month contracts. Well when I was a boy, in the 1950's/60's my Father was a Master Mariner on Oil Tankers. His rotas were supposed to be 9 months at sea 3 months at home. The world was a much bigger place then and as a consequence, more often than not my Dad was away for anything between a year and 18 months. Heaven knows how long his Chinese crews were away!

That however does not detract from the superb service given by the crew of the Noordam.

I was horrified to find out that Drew Murdoch was on the Noordam when I cruised in October. I thought it was the ghost of Titanic's First Officer William Murdoch and that we would hit an iceberg on the cruise.

Archived