HELP!! Can they do this to me?

:mad: Our first trip on RCL we bought the package including air from Corpus

To MIA. V. of the Seas sails this afternoon from Miami

Received my documents and flight information about 3 weeks before the cruise, called to confirm flight and seat assisnments. Was told by the airline (Delta) that they could not assign seats because some seats were

held back to be assisgned by the gate agents and the others were in an

exit row and we were traveling with a child age 10. They assured me no

problem, the gate agent would assign us seats.

Flight was to depart Corpus at 6:41 am. Got to the airport at 5:45

got in line, the ticket agent we got could not figure out how to use

the computer etc. She said she had not been trained yet and they were

understaffed as two people called in sick. Meanwhile the second ticket

agent continues to check people in. When he finishes with the line he comes over to assist our agent. The plane is full and over booked he tells

her and now she needs to contact other airlines to try to accomodate us.

She leaves comes back says no other airline has space either. She also

again says she has not been trained for this and do not know what to do.

The other agent finally returns, he says we should go to the gate on standby. I argue that we have been there much longer than other people

who have checked in. He is no help. I explain about our cruise, too bad

he says. The flight leaves without us. He gives me travel voucher and

a toll free number to call Delta customer service. Delta customer service

says sorry, all flights on all airlines are booked. -hello we were booked too!

Our spring break trip is over befor it begins.

Called my travel agent, they gave me a phone number with Royal Caribbean. Took over an hour, finally the lady tells me the best they

can do if fly us to Jamaica on Tuesday to meet the ship. Today is Saturday! I don't want to fly all the way to Jamacia for a 3 and a half

day trip. She says take it or lose your cruise, (great customer service

attitude). I said I want a refund at the very least, she said they were

not obligated to do so because they are getting me to the ship, just 4

days late!

I am still in shock, anyone had anything like this happen to them?

I did buy cruise insurance- but not through RCL. I bought it through

insure my trip. I doubt that they will pay what is clearly a RCL screw

up.

Any advise out-please tell RCL will make this right for me!!!!!!!!!!!

First, you should call your travel agent and insist they help/handle. One of the primary reasons for booking with travel agent is to have their help when a problem like this arises. The travel agent can call the resolutions dept and try to get some help/refund. I'm surprised that the travel agent shoved this off on you to handle. :eek:

Also, is it possible for you to drive to Houston and catch a flight that would get you to the Vison any sooner? I'm sure you have missed the Miami departure, but could you get to an earlier port than Jamaica? Anyway, something to consider when talking to your TA.

Also, your insurance is purchased directly with an insurance company. Insure my trip is merely a broker type website--you select insurance and purchase with a specific company. You should check your confirmation and find out who it is and the number to call. They may even have a help desk that could help you.

What a horrible thing to happen. I can't offer any advice, but boy do I feel for you. The fact that this could happen is beyond words. I can't imagine how you are feeling right now, and I know words from a stranger can't help, but you have my sympathy!!

Holy Cow.....this is awful! Your TA stinks! Usualy a TA would bend over backwards to make it all work. Did you book your air with the cruise line? That is one way to avoid this sort of thing.....I think! What do other think? I know we were stranded on the way back from Florida and we were told that the air lines only has the obligation to get you from point A to point B, no assurance of a time line so we were stuck in Florida for TWO days, two days missed work.....we didn't get anything for that! No so much as a sorry, that was America Airlines! They did put us up in a hotel but we were teathered there with a beeper and couldn't go any where for two days!

I'm sooooooo sorry, don't let this matter end here!

WOW! Did you purchase trip insurance independently of the cruise line? Man, I’d be raising the roof. Unbelievable. :mad:

We also had a horrific experience with Delta and won’t fly with them or any of their code share airlines.

oh my gosh i am sorry.. did you purchase trip insurance??also did you book air with RCCL or with travel agent seperate?? I hate hearing these stories. Makes me glad sometimes i am close to a port but RCCL is not doing the short trips anymore. I found a good cruise out of florida but the airfare makes it so much more....

Happened to my mother. Our TA spent a few hours and got my mom to the port. She did have to take 2 planes but did get there. Your insurance SHOULD take care of it IF you fly to Jamaica. Depends on insurance. But I am pretty sure you will need to fly and catch up with the ship to get any $$ from the insurance. Good luck!!

this is terrible! :(

so many threads on the same topic and more and more people planning to arrive a day early just so this kind of a problem never arises. I really feel for you :( If the air was not booked with RCI, i can't image how it's the cruise line's fault.

WOW! Sorry you had this trouble. Just a friendly piece of advice, most popular flights are oversold, if you want to make sure you get seats, get to the airport earlier. If I read your post correctly you arrived at the airport at 5:45 for a 6:41 flight...cutting it way to close, if you had checked in an hour to an hour and a half before the flight, you would have been on the plane.

this is terrible! :(

so many threads on the same topic and more and more people planning to arrive a day early just so this kind of a problem never arises. I really feel for you :( If the air was not booked with RCI, i can't image how it's the cruise line's fault.

The OP said the air was booked through RCCL so it is their fault.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes as I stated in my first post, I booked air

through RCL, thats why I think its their fault.

When I book air on my own I always arrive a day ahead.

I got to the Corpus airport

an hour befor our flight left, which what they advise at our small airport.

It was Delta that had the problems with no personel, not us being late.

Many people checked after us , just with the other agent that knew how

to do his job. Our travel is working on it but I do think RCL should offer

us a full refund, flying us to Jamacia 4 days into the cruise is not much

good on a 7 night trip.

The OP said the air was booked through RCCL so it is their fault.

this is what OP wrote or did i miss something

Our first trip on RCL we bought the package including air from Corpus

Received my documents and flight information about 3 weeks before the cruise, called to confirm flight and seat assisnments. Was told by the airline (Delta) that they could not assign seats because some seats were

I do not see where the air was bought with the cruise. They did state they bought from a TA and also they did buy insurance..but not with cruise line..

still good luck..

this is what OP wrote or did i miss something

Our first trip on RCL we bought the package including air from Corpus

I do not see where the air was bought with the cruise. They did state they bought from a TA and also they did buy insurance..but not with cruise line..

still good luck..

Those two phrases would seem indicate it was cruise air.

[thanks for pointing that out to me.. i see it now..lol

to the op i agree if they booked it ...it is the cruise line fault and go for it and stand your ground.. i would complain and keep on that phone till you get to the cruise..

Can you drive to houston and get them to pick up the tab???

:mad: Our first trip on RCL we bought the package including air from Corpus

To MIA. ...

problem, the gate agent would assign us seats ...

Flight was to depart Corpus at 6:41 am. Got to the airport at 5:45

got in line, ...

I am still in shock, anyone had anything like this happen to them?

I did buy cruise insurance- but not through RCL. I bought it through

insure my trip. I doubt that they will pay what is clearly a RCL screw

up.

Any advise out-please tell RCL will make this right for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a bummer! Sadly, when you travel, bad things happen. And when they happen, they seem to just snowball and get worse and worse. I feel really bad for you.

BUT -- I do have to comment that you got to the airport LESS than an hour before your flight. Every airline says you should get there AT LEAST an hour and a half early. Since you did not have seat assignments, (a common practice) it would have been prudent to be even earlier. So -- in all honesty I have to say it was NOT an RCI screw-up, it was pretty much your own fault. RCI made a good faith booking so they did not screw anything up. Delta overbooked, which is deplorable but a common and legal practice in the airline industry.

Clearly the airline will owe you a denied boarding compensation package. I suspect you already got that. It should be at least a free flight PLUS a voucher for another flight at the value of your trip. That is something. Most likely your trip delay insurance will also provide some compensation. I do hope you were able to get to Jamaica and enjoy at least part of your cruise.

Lessons, that so many of us have learned the hard way:

(1) Booking air through the cruise line is a chancy business, at best. Customer convenience is rarely a consideration.

(2) Always get to the airport at least two hours before your scheduled departure.

(3) Whenever possible fly in the day before. Just last week on the way to Ft Lauderdale we got into a horrendous situation with a dust storm at Dallas and terrible delays. The fact that we were flying the day before was the only thing that saved us.

(4) A good local Travel Agent whom you can contact in an emergency is a great thing to have on your side.

(5) Cruise line customer service is non-existent.

I know this doesn't help your present situation, but perhaps so many of us including lots of lurkers on this board can be saved a bad time in the future.

Mike

what great advice. My first cruise to the bahamas we flew into Orlando and bussed to the coast.the same day ... We knew nothing of flight delays etc I booked it with the cruise( this was 5/1993) all i can say we got there on time etc did not book the insurance either as the TA did not tell me about it.

Now i have flown and traveled more places. If i was to travel out of Texas i would fly in a day earlier and also the trip insurance is well worth it..

And i got great tips here from the boards here and everyone has been nice and friendly and helpful.

Couldn't you have checked in online on http://www.delta.com 24 hours before the flight? Then you could have gotten seats confirmed and printed your boarding passes.

The problem with purchasing airfare through the cruiseline is that the cruiseline or the TA doesn't inform you of what options you have.

It's sad to hear about people complaining "we didn't get seats together, etc" But situations like that could have been avoided by calling the Airline the day you get the flight info from the cruiseline.

Now in the OP's case it sounds like she did call the airline to get assigned to seats but they weren't allowed to release anymore (again a clear indication that the flight was oversold). I would have either checked in online 24 hours before or gotten to the airport VERY early in the morning. Did the airport not have self check in kiosks for Delta? Then you could have picked your seats and not relied on the check in agent.

I realize this is of little help to the OP, but may be of help to future travelers: if Delta cannot assign you seats anymore, it means they are overbooked. When you hear that, you had best get there early to guarantee a seat. Two hours at the very least. Or at least check in online 24 hours prior.

This does stink. Too late now for the OP but for ones reading this that are cruising for the first time. Several things.

One should always try to book your own air and if you use the cruise lines air make sure that you get air deviation so that you can pick your flight times and get seat assignments. A good TA would have suggested this from the beginning.

To the OP, your TA should have done more than just give you a number to call. He/she should have gone into motion on trying to get you and your family to that ship and THEY should have been the ones calling RCI not you. They work for you. I would call your TA and ask what she and Royal Caribbean are going to do for you. They either owe you a refund for your unused days plus I would make them give something for the aggravation that you're going through. Also the cruise line booked your air so they should be responsible for making sure that you do have a seat on that plane with a seat assignment regardless. I read stories very similar to this on most of the cruise boards when it comes to using cruise air. Again the only way that I would use it would be with air deviation. Good luck and I hope that it all works out.

Also the cruise line booked your air so they should be responsible for making sure that you do have a seat on that plane with a seat assignment regardless. I read stories very similar to this on most of the cruise boards when it comes to using cruise air. Again the only way that I would use it would be with air deviation. Good luck and I hope that it all works out.

All the cruise line does is purchase a ticket on an airline on your behalf. It it not the cruise lines fault if the flight then overbooks, or you don't show up on time to get a seat, etc. Air deviation (or Custom Air) as RCI calls it wouldn't help matters really, because all that does is allows you to pick your flight times and days, etc.

The airline is the one that is responsible for re-accomodating you on another flight or another airline if that is a possibility. From what the OP said Delta offered to get them on a flight to Jamaica to meet the cruise. So the airline is doing all that it can.

The OP said they have trip insurance, I would be on the phone to them right away to see what they can do. She will probably be refunded some of the costs of the trip due to the extreme delay.

I did get to the airport an hour early. The flight was supposed to leave at

6:41 - I said in my post 5:45 as a rounding off but we were probably there

at 5:40. When I was told to get to the airport an hour early and I did-

I read to call and confirm flight and ask for seat assignments and I did.

This was done the day I got my documents from RCL.

I feel like RCL is at fault not me- they owe me a refund!

According to RCL there are no flights to Florida from Texas so driving to

Houston or San Antonio is not going to work- I asked that too.

Archived