Airlines you have given up on.

kelmac

Which Airlines do you have a negative feel for and avoid?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Airlines do you have a negative feel for and avoid?

• Air Tran
    • Alaska Air
    • American Airlines
    • Continental
    • Delta Airlines
    • Frontier Airlines
    • jetBlue
    • Midwest Airlines
    • Northwest Airlines
    • Southwest Airlines
    • United Airlines
    • USAir/America West Airlines

I've done a fair amount of travel in the past 30 years and still try to make the experience positive. There are a few airlines that I feel negative about because of the lack of good experiences using their service. Northwest, United and USAir/AmericaWest have never really given me a positive feel. I keep trying -- yesterday we did five hours at the Phoenix airport waiting for USAir to find a pilot for our aircraft.

Right, or wrong, which airlines are on your list?

(US domestic airlines this survey)

They for sure all have their problems, don't they?! I, myself, have never had issues with USAir, but I haven't flown them all too often.

The thorn in my side is Delta. I won't fly them unless I literally have no choice. Time after time after time, they let me down. I'm not a needy traveler but their customer service is just so disappointing.

I have used every airline on the list many times except jetblue - they just don't fly where I am going. The only airline I have never had a problem with was Pan Am. Well, they are history unfortunately.

I book mostly based on price, but all else equal I favor Northwest for the free upgrades they give me, or Delta for the partnership with Northwest and the bonus miles I get. But honestly, if I can get a cheap flight somewhere, I will take it on pretty much any airline. They all have their problems, it is just a matter of whether you will be lucky or unlucky that day.

John

We have been frequent flyers for many years and have accounts with Delta, United, U.S.Airways, Southwest and AirTran. For the last few years, we've used Southwest almost exclusively because their rates and frequent flyer program were so good. But the boarding issue is a PITA, rates have increased significantly and reward tickets are more restricted. So I've booked 11 flights on AirTran and 4 on United for January and February. But the only Southwest tickets I've booked were using our Rapid Rewards. Unless things improve, we'll be focussing our air travel elsewhere.

you left off people's express.

My favorite used to be America West when it was new...(free drinks in coach and great service)....

right now they all stink for one reason or another.

The food is terrible.

The service poor.

They nickel and dime- more than the cruise lines---

and the price has become ridiculous.

but did you notice the planes are flying fuller than ever before?

We have been frequent flyers for many years and have accounts with Delta, United, U.S.Airways, Southwest and AirTran. For the last few years, we've used Southwest almost exclusively because their rates and frequent flyer program were so good. But the boarding issue is a PITA, rates have increased significantly and reward tickets are more restricted. So I've booked 11 flights on AirTran and 4 on United for January and February. But the only Southwest tickets I've booked were using our Rapid Rewards. Unless things improve, we'll be focussing our air travel elsewhere.

Gotta,

The new boarding system on SWA is a HUGE improvement! No waiting in the three large areas anymore; in fact we waited until 3 minutes before our boarding group and walked right to it. Only five people in each boarding group. Business travelers get a free bump to the front if they purchased a few days before the flight. No longer do you see people sitting on the floor an hour before the flight.

Enjoy!

Kel

Gotta,

The new boarding system on SWA is a HUGE improvement! No waiting in the three large areas anymore; in fact we waited until 3 minutes before our boarding group and walked right to it. Only five people in each boarding group. Business travelers get a free bump to the front if they purchased a few days before the flight. No longer do you see people sitting on the floor an hour before the flight.

This is good to know! I fly SWA every so often [though lately, as others have stated, their fares don't seem to be much of a bargain so I'd rather have an assigned seat if I'm paying the same price!]. I'm one of those people with slight anxiety and I don't do well with surprises so I have little anxiety attacks because I just hate not having a seat assigned to me and not knowing "my place" and even though I check in online and would be in group A, I had to stand there for an hour with everyone else so that I had a fair choice of seats and could quickly get situated. I like to get into my little "bubble" as quickly as I can so I can be comfortable. I've gotten better over the years.... but it's a wonder I can even go out in public sometimes :rolleyes:

Continental has NEVER let me down and I would fly them, anywhere, in a heartbeat.

JetBlue has the best experience - free TV, XM radio, & comfortable seat

Just flew Frontier for the first time - great experience. I would put them right up there with JetBlue if it wasn't for the fact that DirectTV on there is $5 per person. The only negative for many people is their route network, but living in Denver, it's a non-issue for me.

American nickels & dimes you but gets you there. Plus most of their planes have power outlets which is a big plus for me on longer trips when bringing my computer.

Gotta,

Enjoy!

Kel

We've flown with Southwest several times since the boarding change was implemented (including the very first day of it). In a way I do think it's an improvement, but it just doesn't work for us. Day one there was nobody with numbers 1 - 15, so we (@ 16 & 17) got to board first and got "our exit row". But since then, there has always been someone in front of us.

With the old system, we always got A, always arrived early and got in line early, so we got our exit row. That won't happen anymore and it's disappointing. We made the old system work for us and aren't willing to pay business class - I'd rather book with another line and reserve my seat.

We've flown with Southwest several times since the boarding change was implemented (including the very first day of it). In a way I do think it's an improvement, but it just doesn't work for us. Day one there was nobody with numbers 1 - 15, so we (@ 16 & 17) got to board first and got "our exit row". But since then, there has always been someone in front of us.

With the old system, we always got A, always arrived early and got in line early, so we got our exit row. That won't happen anymore and it's disappointing. We made the old system work for us and aren't willing to pay business class - I'd rather book with another line and reserve my seat.

Gotta,

I know what you mean. They save 1-15 for those last minute full fare people, or if you are one of their frequent/frequent flyers.

We usually get the exit row as well. I quess each flight is different, but the last four times we boarded we got the exit seats!:)

The problem with the other lines, even if you have assigned seats, you must check in every week and make sure they haven't changed times, aircraft..., and bumped you from your seats. Most airlines still hold the front section for last minute business class customers. American and Delta are really bad about this.

We still mix it up at bit; SWA, American, Delta, Frontier, Continetal, and Alaska are getting all our domestic business.

Enjoy!

Kel

Northwest and United for me. I will still fly Delta, but I would rather pay a little more not to stop, because every flight from here to Florida flies through Atlanta.

I like Airtran, Southwest, and USair. Those are the 3 I most frequently fly and recommend.

Where is the option for several airlines?!

I try to only fly on Continental airlines but have totally given up on Usairways, American and United. I don't mind NWA and if its a must I will pick delta over any other airline like united and us because I can still get my onepass miles for flying on them even though most of the flights would only be 50% elite qual miles.

Well it looks like Air Tran, Delta, NWA, SWA, United and USAir all scored double digit negative responses.

I'm not so hard on Southwest, as they provide many options for me out of ABQ. The new boarding system helps a bunch!

Enjoy!

Kel

I used to be a big SW fan. I knew that as long as I checked in online early, I could get in the A group, show up at the airport an hour early, and get a decent seat. And, I could use my FF miles anytime, any day, any flight. Now, I can check in literally 1 second after the flight opens, and I'm already number 31 because they're holding all the seats for business class. And even worse, the FF miles just flat out can't be redeemed for any flights on Friday or Sunday. They've taken a business model that made them highly successful, thrown it out the window, adopted the failing airlines' business model, raised their rates, and blown off their long-term loyal customers. Pretty stupid, IMO. I don't book with them nearly as much.

Even better, I got a solicitation from them for a SW credit card that would give me FF miles. I sent it back with the notation "why would I want even MORE miles when I have so much trouble redeeming the ones I already have?" The only thing left they've got going for them is their on-time record.

Back in the 80's and early to mid 90's Delta was the best airline in the US. Then something happened. They are now the worst of the legacy airlines, I've had luggage lost 3 times out of the last 6 trips on Delta. The Delta ticket counter and gate agents are some of the rudest also. I avoid Delta !

Archived