Marrakech or Casablanca/Rabat?

blondie1234

First, I am somewhat surprised that you have a tour on offer to Marrakesh from Casa - it is about 300km drive south. But maybe it's by air. Anyway, I would strongly recommend that if there is a tour there, take it! Marrakesh is a hauntingly lovely town, with the Atlas Mountains for backdrop. The kasbah is fascinating, and the whole place really is atmospheric which Casa is NOT!

Hi

I have spent a lot of time in Morocco on business over the past couple of years. One of the few places there that I would consider visiting on vacation is Marrakech. It is an absolutely enchanting city that you really should not miss.

Whilst it is a distance from Casablanca, a new direct highway was opened last year which saves a great deal of time. The journey now takes approx 90 minutes.

Regarding Casablanca and Rabat, they are both extremely missable! They are the financial and commercial capitals of the country and are not really aimed at the tourist market.

Go to Marrakech

Our cruise stops at Casablanca from 9.00 to 22.00 and has a ship excursion bus tour to Marrekach. I guess that is the reason they stay so long in this port (after 5 hours in Barcelona).

CC had recommended Marrekach to us, as well. Although we're not usually group tour people, this looks like one tour we can't miss.

Does anyone know of a good independent guide that would do a trip for the day to Marrakech from Casablanca. My husband and I prefer to avoid the large ship excursions. What are the sights that shouldn't be missed in Marrakech?

Great news that there is a new highway Casa to Marrakesh - in that case a bus tour is very possible and I would say do it!! Miss Casa and Rabat - not much to see there...but you could spend a week exploring Marrakesh!!

Do not miss Jemaa al Fnaa (not sure if this is spelt correctly!) the huge square with markets, curio sellers, snake charmers etc. Loads of things going on. The souk is a good place to shop but be sure to bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the tour to Marrakech. It was a full day. It's not nearly as active as it is during the evening. If you take this tour, avoid sitting on the bus driver's side of the bus. The sun will be shining in on you in both directions (unless you pull the curtains).

KC

Thanks for that excellent tip re where to sit on the bus to avoid the sun.

Do you mind explaining what wasn't as active as during the evening? Did you enjoy the day trip? How long were you on the bus versus at Marrakech?

Did most people go on the ship excursion?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps what the previous poster meant is that Djemaa el Fna, one of the biggest attractions of Marakech (a type of open-air market/circus/anything goes place) is more active at night. The entertainers become more animated, there are more of them, and the place is a lot more crowded than during the day. Also, the food stalls operate at night; during the day, you can purchase juice or some dried fruit/nuts, but not real food (snails, lamb's head).

we were in marrakesh 10 or so days ago with Princess. it is a great highway--took about 2 hours each way. out of 6 busloads one was miserable (no ac, no shopping) but ours was great.

there is no way I would take this as a private tour. our ship left 2 hours late because the buses were delayed due to traffic--big soccer game. it is just too far. it is remote and would be tough if you missed the ship.

it was also 100+ degrees. we had a lunch (nothing special but slow), then the guide with an assistant led us through the markets. it was too confusing to be left on our own--it was a maze. we shopped as a group, then saw the old palace. we never stopped for water--bring a lot along with you to leave on the bus.

also, be sure and bring some tp. the roadside gas stations were modern--but I ended up using a trench toilet and had to bring my own tp.

the people who went to rabat really liked it too--but I could spend at least three or four days in marrakesh.

nna, thanks for the great tips. I definitely think we will use the ship excursion for Marrakech in case of delays though we usually prefer independent. Will also stuff the pockets and purse with TP (I usually try to whenever we travel so thanks for the reminder!). What type of food did you have for the lunch? As we will also be with Princess, I assume they will take us to the same place.

Thanks for that excellent tip re where to sit on the bus to avoid the sun.

Do you mind explaining what wasn't as active as during the evening? Did you enjoy the day trip? How long were you on the bus versus at Marrakech?

Did most people go on the ship excursion?

I was on the Holland America tour and did enjoy the day trip. In addition to the tour guide there was another person (guard) sent with us. When we arrived at Marrakech we had another guide added to our group and two additional guards. The bus stopped in both directions for rest rooms and drinks (water, tea, coffee, soft drink - included in the cost). The bus trip, with stops, was about 3 1/2 hours in each direction. We did get back late but it was a ship excursion so they were waiting for us. I believe there were two busses that went to Marrakech. I did hear of people that did their own thing rather than take a ship excursion.

It was the market (with snake charmers, food, etc.) that I was referring to as not as active (or crowded) during the day as during the evening.

KC

we stopped at marrakesh rest. and had: appetizers--fresh veggies in marinade, chicken in sauce, couscous with lamb and then oranges for dessert. water and wine provided.

the prices of the good stuff in the market were high--value for the money, but more than you might expect to pay.

We will in be Casablanca on HAL's Rotterdam, Nov. 7th, and are planning to book the Marrakech shorex. Have any of you been there at that time of the year, and would it be as hot then? Thanks - I'm very excited about visiting this place.

we were in marrakesh 10 or so days ago with Princess. it is a great highway--took about 2 hours each way. out of 6 busloads one was miserable (no ac, no shopping) but ours was great.

there is no way I would take this as a private tour. our ship left 2 hours late because the buses were delayed due to traffic--big soccer game. it is just too far. it is remote and would be tough if you missed the ship.

it was also 100+ degrees. we had a lunch (nothing special but slow), then the guide with an assistant led us through the markets. it was too confusing to be left on our own--it was a maze. we shopped as a group, then saw the old palace. we never stopped for water--bring a lot along with you to leave on the bus.

also, be sure and bring some tp. the roadside gas stations were modern--but I ended up using a trench toilet and had to bring my own tp.

the people who went to rabat really liked it too--but I could spend at least three or four days in marrakesh.

We were on this same cruise, and on the bus with no A/C. Still, I wouldn't call it miserable, but it was hot. I guess being from Florida had prepared us better for the temps. All in all, it was a fun tour and I am glad we did it but I would not want to do it on my own. The tip about not sitting on the driver's side of the bus is an excellent one.

I thought the lunch was one of the most special parts of the tour -- in the atmosphere alone, it was like a palace inside and a real Marakech restaurant not just a tourist place. We had musicians and singers dressed in native garb, mosaic tiles on all the walls, the doorways were like Moorish arches with carved stone writing, we were seated at round tables and served "family style' with a big plate in the center of the table. We were seated with friends, so that was fun for us, and there were 3-4 courses.

Our bus had a little opportunity to buy water, ice cream, etc in the plaza with the snake charmers, but no real opportunity to shop. A few people managed to buy something quick as we walked thru the souk, but did not have time to bargain. We were taken to 3 shops (carpet, spice, jewelry) that the guide wanted us to see and they were all off the main squares and alleyways. We twisted and turned thru narrow alleys until I could never have found my way out alone.

It was a great experience, and even though we were hot I would not trade it.

We will in be Casablanca on HAL's Rotterdam, Nov. 7th, and are planning to book the Marrakech shorex. Have any of you been there at that time of the year, and would it be as hot then? Thanks - I'm very excited about visiting this place.

Hi Pat

We were on Rotterdam last November. Originally Casablanca stop didn't include Marrakech tour but the departure from casablanca was extended after we departed Venice (actually after Lisbon) and we booked Marrakech tour straight away.

If you click on the travelpod link below you'll be able to read about the whole voyage including our day to Marrakech that was both good and bad (but mainly good). It was hot but we're from Australia so was nothing we don't experience at home. Take the trip, it's worth it.

pete

We're considering the NCL overnight excursion to Marrakech from Casablanca but the cost seems prohibitive considering we've already paid for meals and bed on the ship.

For our window steerage passage this represents one third of the full cost of a nine day cruise.

I gather Marrakech is more interesting than Casablanca. Is it worth this cost per person?

Is this rate typical of lower priced cruise lines?

Thanks in advance for any advice from you experts.

We're considering the NCL overnight excursion to Marrakech from Casablanca but the cost seems prohibitive considering we've already paid for meals and bed on the ship.

For our window steerage passage this represents one third of the full cost of a nine day cruise.

I gather Marrakech is more interesting than Casablanca. Is it worth this cost per person?

Is this rate typical of lower priced cruise lines?

Thanks in advance for any advice from you experts.

We are recently returned from this area with a stop in Casablanca and a trip to Rabat. If we went again, we would definitely skip Casablanca and Rabat and head for Marrakech.

JMHO.

RC

Your comment certainly confirms my research.

Since I first posted we've be offered leads on visiting Taroudant instead with an independent operator. Apparently it's known as 'little' Marrakech. The price is sure right on this alternative.

Thanks for offering your first hand experience.

• 4 weeks later...

newfarmers:

I want to thank you so much for the link to your comments and pictures from your Rotterdam cruise, last fall. Besides Marrakech , and I hope our tour is better, :eek: , we have just a few other ports in common - Messina, Barcelona, and Lisbon. Our transatlantic segment takes us to the USA, Ft. Lauderdale. Your slideshows of our common ports were wonderful to see - such beautiful photos! :) :) :)

Archived