Whales "Baleines" and Jewel of the Seas

Belle gueule

Thanks for the pics though..

Were you onboard? I did not look to see where you are from...

Wow...they said passengers did not know,but obviously someone somewhere saw it.Sadly,a lot of marine life are likely injured like this all the time..

DWG...You would think that this poor creature was at least allready in distress,not to be able to get out of the way..Whales have great radar don't they?

Driftwoodgal: Yes, it was dead.

brn2crz: Yes, we were on. I'm from Laval, Quebec. The captain James MacDonald said to all passengers the whales is young, around 40 to 50 feet long and that's our captain said about "radar"???

springtxbill: Yes, I think also...

mammallama: It's was not to Eeeeew!

stretch: It's happen between Quebec and St-John, New-Brunswick, 44 hours sailing.

madelinerose: awful... it's not...

Sorry Stretch....... but I don't see any humor in the loss of any type of whale. The Ocean is vast but we take it for granted that we can sail, reap food for our tables, and do little to protect what we take from the sea. The circle evolves and the fittest survive, but if a man made vessel kills a whale then the natural chain is interuputed. No one knows why whales beach themselves. But I wouldn't think that they have become suicide bombers. Nature has shown that we don't have to much control over any thing since the cruise industry has been at the hurricanes mercy for months now.

I just feel for the animals that are hurt by any ship. I am sure that Navel ships, private vessels, and cruise ships do damage to marine life. It is just my hope that they think about what they can do to preserve all marine life.

Stretch - Sorry buddy, your humor has lit up my day on many occasions before today, but your comment on this thread was, in your words in a different thread, classless and clueless. Time for a reality check. I'm an animal lover, since we're simply at the top of their kingdom, and it distresses me to hear or read about a loss of life such as this. I'm curious though - does the Jewel sail in Canada? I thought it did the Med and Carib itineraries.

For your information about Whale and Jewel of the Seas, a cruise Canada/New-England...

Unfortunate Whale Speared by Cruise Ship

Tue Sep 28,11:13 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters

OTTAWA (Reuters) - It wasn't until the U.S. cruise ship had pulled into port in Atlantic Canada that those on board made a gruesome discovery -- the body of a large whale was impaled on the vessel's bow.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../od_nm/whale_dc

Jacques

The circle evolves and the fittest survive, but if a man made vessel kills a whale then the natural chain is interuputed.

Who said the ship killed the whale?

I sincerely doubt that the whale felt anything. Healthy whales do not get hit by ships. Unpleasant as it may be, this whale was likely already unwell and doomed. If not killed by a cruise ship, it would have met its end in some other manner. Mother Nature is not always pretty.

Beth

I'm curious though - does the Jewel sail in Canada? I thought it did the Med and Carib itineraries.

Jewel of the Seas made it´s way across the Atlantic from 09/01 - 09/11, after doing the Northern Europe Itineraries during the summer.

She´s now doing 10-day trips to New England and Canada. I´m just now on the 09/28 sailing with ports of call in Bar Harbor, Halifax (today), Sydney, Quebec, St. John and Portland, before returning to departure port Boston.

I am guessing since Stretch has a big ole tiger as an Avatar,he is probably not an animal hater.My guess is he was just making reference to all the "fishing from the Balcony" threads"

I have decided to remain silent as long as this thread is still floating.

Stretch

Stretch,

I would like to apoligize for my moment of anger at your post. Since I am an animal lover I do tend to get my feathers ruffled when I feel that some one is taking advantage of them . When I say taking advantage, I mean taking it lightly that the whale perished. If I misunderstood and you do care if a marine animal dies for what ever reason I am truly sorry that I read something between the lines that wasn't there. I hope that you will accept my apology.

I do feel that when any vessel is at sea they are in their (Marine life's) habitat and we should respect and protect their enviornment. I am not a tree hugger, but just feel that we should all respect all of the types of creatures that are here on this earth. If we don't then our great grandkids won't be enjoying the national parks etc.

Livtojump,

Who said the ship didn't finish the whale? Regardless of how it died it was awful that it was a hood ornament on the ship. I would think that it was upsetting to most on board that viewed it.

Jwlane,

Thanks for pointing out my spelling error.... I was always horrible in English. Lucky for me that I don't have to earn a living as a secretary.

DWG...You would think that this poor creature was at least allready in distress,not to be able to get out of the way..Whales have great radar don't they?

Animals do not have radar. Some have sonar but whales don't. Dolphins do.

Archived