How bad is the front of a ship?

lcmac

My husband and I booked a cruise on Fantasy Oct 18th. We booked an inside cabin and it was upgraded from an inside cabin to R1. The room is on the lowest deck, very front of the boat with two porthole windows. Is that horrible?

Also, any suggestions about what to do in Cozumel and Progresso would be appreciated.

Thanks

We had almost the same cabin, all the way forward on the lowest deck, for a January cruise where we hit moderate seas. Every wave felt like Neptune was taking a giant sledgehammer to the hull, and lying on the bed was like being on a Six Flags ride that took you in an elliptical circuit that was fine for the first three minutes. But the waves lasted a LOT longer than three minutes.

I will never again take a cabin that far forward. After that experience, I'll take any deck as long as we're midships!

Our first cruise, 16 years ago this week..... we had M11 on the Ecstacy....

Never ever ever again!

I was sick the whole week... everything just seemed to be exagerated up front.

Everyone is different, and everyone handles the sea swells differently... but for ME... Center of the Ship is the way to go....

Catrin

We were upgraded to a 1033 on the Freedom Transatlantic. I guess you don't hear the slam bang of the ship up that high but seems like there would be even more rocking and rolling. Am I right? My dh is not concerned but the motion never bothers him. I am worried.

If you book an IS guarantee, you get a great price. However, you never know where your cabin will be until it is assigned. It is a gamble. We've had very far forward cabins twice--both on cruises that had bad weather. Good cabins/bad weather=not so good...all the cabins are pretty much the same. Good that you have porthole windows :-)

I think if the weather cooperates, you'll be fine. However, please buy some Dramamine before you go, and take it before you feel sick, right when the seas get just a little rough. If you wait until you already feel sick, it doesn't work very well at all.

Don't worry about it too much! Just be prepared and enjoy your cruise!

We were in the very front of the ship, on the 2nd deck, on the Conquest recently. I didn't mind the swaying (we had calm sea). DH actually enjoyed the constant swaying. However, when the anchor came down on port days, it was HORRIBLE. The first day, we screamed like little girls because it scared the crap out of us. There is no sleeping when that happens. Other than that, we didn't mind the room.

We had U9 on the Elation when we were following Hurricane Stan around the Gulf. We had very rough seas the first night out, and it was a thrill ride much like suebee53 described, but we thought it was fun and we were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes.

If you have rough seas, though, word of advice -- don't attempt to take a shower! one guy did on that cruise and broke his arm. I don't know what he was thinking!!

If you're not prone to seasickness, you will probably do fine. If you do get sick and don't have meds with you, they give them out for free at the Purser's desk and the infirmary. I think I have even read that room service will bring them to you. don't know for sure.

We got my daughter the wrist bands on this last cruise and those seemed to work too.

I just experienced my very first 'front of the ship' cabin last month. We were on a massive ship (RCI Explorer of the Seas) and left NJ when (whichever one it was) hurricane was going up the coast.

It was INSANE.

If you have calm seas, you'll have nothing to worry about.

I must say that Bonine works GREAT.

Bring it in case you need it.

I will definately bring a ton of medicine! It sounds almost fun if my stomach can handle it. I guess if the sea's are rough, drinking too much and hangovers will not mix well while trying to rest.

I was in a balcony cabin at the very front (second cabin from the front) and the day we had bad seas it was as rough a ride there as it was in the back of the ship in the lido buffet. Otherwise, I never noticed a difference, I've been forward, aft and in the middle of the ship now.

I will definately bring a ton on medicine! It sounds almost fun if my stomach can handle it. I quess if the sea's are rough, drinking too much and hangovers will not mix well while trying to rest.

My DH is on the Paradise right now...cabin M24 in the front. I sent him a text message and I asked him how rocky it was, and he said they had 10 foot swells! I asked how they did as he had a buddy, first time cruiser, with him and he said "it intensified the buzz". His words...:rolleyes:

DH and I were on the Imagination last December in the front porthole windows on the 2nd deck...

The sea was fairly rough 2 days..... I didn't think it was bad at all..... it rocked slightly, but no big deal!!!

Had a forward cabin inside on the Liberty last October. It was on the lowest deck. Smoothest sailing I've ever been on. Have a forward cabin (portholes) again on the Destiny coming up at the end of the month for 9 nights....

Can't wait........

The others are correct that the front cabins are bad for motion and noise, but there are some good points.

We has E-1 on Inspiration and did enjoy it most of the time. There is very little foot traffic since the area is forward of the elevators. Some of the 5a rooms are also a bit larger due to the curvature of the hull. I liked the ability to close the hatches over the portholes, which keeps out all sunlight and allows me to sleep in later.:D

But buddy when it gets bad, hang on! We sailed through Gustav and it was wild. Think of the ship as a giant see-saw, it was way up and way down all day, and all night. :eek:

Had a forward cabin inside on the Liberty last October. It was on the lowest deck. Smoothest sailing I've ever been on. Have a forward cabin (portholes) again on the Destiny coming up at the end of the month for 9 nights....

Can't wait........

ME NEITHER!!! Portholes rock and I love the rockin!!:D

Yall have all helped so much. I feel a ton better now, I have been very worried about the room for the past few days. Sounds like it will definately be an experience. If anything, my DH and I will get a lot of laughs out of it!

Yall have all helped so much. I feel a ton better now, I have been very worried about the room for the past few days. Sounds like it will definately be an experience. If anything, my DH and I will get a lot of laughs out of it!

Yes you will!! And I forgot to add, welcome to cruise critic, you will love it here, and it's as addictive as cruising!!:D

Come back and tell us all about your cruise, please!:D

I will definately. Oct 21 is our 1 year anniversary. This cruise is the start of a tradition. We plan to cruise every year for our anniversary. We are very new so we definately will need all the suggestions we can get. I know we will have a blast.

I will definately. Oct 21 is our 1 year anniversary. This cruise is the start of a tradition. We plan to cruise every year for our anniversary. We are very new so we definately will need all the suggestions we can get. I know we will have a blast.

Ahhh how wonderful!! Great tradition to start too!!! So it is first time cruise for both of you? OMG how great that you found these boards...did you see the roll call area in these boards? Go there and look for your ship and sail date, you can find other cc'ers on your cruise. Sometimes they have get togethers to meet on board, so much fun!!

And of course you are sailing on the Fantasy and I love that ship!!

Go to the Ports of Call area here to read up on your ports...lots of wonderful info there too. In Progreso, you will take a shuttle into town from the pier, it is several miles long!! As soon as you get off the shuttle, there is a double decker bus right in front of the shuttle that takes you on a tour of Progreso for like 2.00 pp. Do it! Just watch your head on the top level lol!!! After that you can walk up to the beachfront area and there are lots of great places to eat and hang out on the beach.

Lots more info in the Ports of Call area!!:D

Archived