How bad is the front of a ship?

lcmac

I've been on Lido deck forward twice and I don't remember too much motion there....We are going on the Spirit out on San Diego on Oct 18th and we have 6110 and it's the second room from the bow.. I hope the Pacific seas will be calm for us this time of the year....Dennis

The upgrade fairy visited us! Or so i thought! After reading all these posts I think it was upgrade fairy's evil twin! We booked a IS guarantee. Kept checking the Carnival website and low and behold we were "upgraded" to a 5A port hole view, i think the room is like R7! right up in the front of the Inpiration ship! And this is our first cruise so there was no past guest status. Whther or not its a ture upgrade seems to be a personal opinion according to everything I read here that talked about the see-saw effect and the noise of the anchor going up/down and the distance away from everything, so dont know how much of an "upgrade" it is. I just hope the up/down effect makes it fun as we're not prone to sea sickness!:p

The upgrade fairy visited us! Or so i thought! After reading all these posts I think it was upgrade fairy's evil twin! We booked a IS guarantee. Kept checking the Carnival website and low and behold we were "upgraded" to a 5A port hole view, i think the room is like R7! right up in the front of the Inpiration ship! And this is our first cruise so there was no past guest status. Whther or not its a ture upgrade seems to be a personal opinion according to everything I read here that talked about the see-saw effect and the noise of the anchor going up/down and the distance away from everything, so dont know how much of an "upgrade" it is. I just hope the up/down effect makes it fun as we're not prone to sea sickness!:p

Check your itinerary for tendering ports vs. docking ports. Any port where the ship docks, you will NOT hear any anchor noise. The anchor is only dropped when the ship anchors out to tender in with the ships lifeboats or local tenders. Where the ship docks, you will hear mechanical noise from the bow thrusters. They are not in the ball park of being as loud as the anchor drop [which sounds like a train speeding thru the cabin] but you WILL hear the thrusters. But anchor or thrusters, they are normal, natural, sounds and are nothing to worry about. I think they scare people and that is more bothersome than the actual noise. Same as aft cabins feel the vibrations from prop cavatation [also normal] and get greatly distressed by it. Fear from bring in a strange environment, I think is the real problem.

Dan

Check your itinerary for tendering ports vs. docking ports. Any port where the ship docks, you will NOT hear any anchor noise. The anchor is only dropped when the ship anchors out to tender in with the ships lifeboats or local tenders. Where the ship docks, you will hear mechanical noise from the bow thrusters. They are not in the ball park of being as loud as the anchor drop [which sounds like a train speeding thru the cabin] but you WILL hear the thrusters. But anchor or thrusters, they are normal, natural, sounds and are nothing to worry about. I think they scare people and that is more bothersome than the actual noise. Same as aft cabins feel the vibrations from prop cavatation [also normal] and get greatly distressed by it. Fear from bring in a strange environment, I think is the real problem.

Dan

<br> Thanks for the info! Its def better to know tis know and expect it and be ready for it then not know whats going on, especially for my fiance who is a little apprehensive, nervous, excited all in one. Man, I LOVE these boards! :D

Are you on port or starboard side?? The noise of the anchor dropping should only be on the port side. We were on starboard side and never heard the anchor on Ecstasy.

(we were in the aft of Conquest and did feel the vibration).

• 4 months later...
ME NEITHER!!! Portholes rock and I love the rockin!!:D

I'm reading posts because I'll be sailing on the Splendor in May and I have a cabin 1A in the front of the ship. I am getting nervous. Should I be?

I am sure the weather is going to be fine in May, but I am also sailing in Dec on the Dream and the weather may not be so good. I am wondering should I try to switch rooms?

All comments appreciated.

PJ

On the CONQUEST in September 08, cabin 1005, 1A, handicapped assessible...

No problems. The ride was fine!! It was the 10th deck, only one cabin in front of us, and it faced out over the bow...

ow the walk was a bit far, since we ate in the read dining room... But the bow was handy to visit... and if you feel a bit of seasickness, the fresh air, and looking forward, seeing far off to the horizon, is very settling!!!

Are you on port or starboard side?? The noise of the anchor dropping should only be on the port side. We were on starboard side and never heard the anchor on Ecstasy.

(we were in the aft of Conquest and did feel the vibration).

haha maybe a dumb question but there are port holes on both sides correct? or are the PORT holes only on the Port side??

I am very prone to sea sickness and would never book a room in the front of the ship. I prefer the middle to aft rooms. The front will give you more motion in rough seas than the aft. At least that's what my BIL the sailor tells me. And I know from being in some of the lounge areas or theaters that are located in the front when the seas are rough I have to leave. Some folks might not mind the motion but I sure do since it makes me sick.

Archived