Hate Losing Shareholder and Next Cruise Benefits? MAKE SOME NOISE WITH RCCL NOW

A cruise friend was booking a cruise using a Next Cruise certificate today, trying to beat the October 15th deadline when he would no longer be able to combine it with his shareholder benefits. He expressed displeasure with having the rug pulled out from under him by the change in benefits. The RCCL rep said there was a management meeting scheduled next week to discuss the change because they have been receiving complaints from so many Loyal Royals - Crown and Anchor Gold, Platinum, and Diamonds.

If you disagree with the change, let RCCL know NOW! Evidently RCCL is being flooded with complaints.

They should really keep the shareholder credit the way it was. For $100 it keeps people loyal. Take it away and the incentive to book early and often is gone. (or at least lessened)

Otherwise, RC ends up slashing their cabin prices for people >55 or those who live in NH. It doesn't make sense. Those discounts always seem much more generous than $100 per cabin. Nothing against seniors or NH people btw. :)

Otherwise, RC ends up slashing their cabin prices for people >55 or those who live in NH. It doesn't make sense. :)

Huh, :eek: never new New Hampshire was the place to live if you want a cruise discount. Do you have the facts to back this up or are you dissing people from New Hampshire?:mad:

Thanks to all who are helping make some noise. I emailed three addresses that a C&A rep gave me. She said they definately read each email and tally each when there is a theme - like $14.95 steak or fuel surcharges.

web_reservations@rccl.com

shareholderbenefit@rccl.com

crownandanchor@rccl.com

The fact that dramaqueen4lyfe received a response that they were "discussing it" shows that they must be getting hit with a lot of complaints.

If we don't complain, then at some meeting a suit will say "How did that cut to the OBCs go?" Then some middle manager will say, "Well, we haven't received many complaints" To which the suit will say, "Great, that was easy. Any ideas on other things to trim?"

Now I feel foolish for booking a NextCruise with a $200 non-refundable deposit. As a shareholder, there is now zero benefit to me. And I have $200 locked-up--a liability.

I am asking RCI to refund my NextCruise deposit. Yes, it's non-refundable, but this was never explained to me when I signed-up for my NextCruise. A question should have been asked: "Are you an RCL shareholder?"

Why RCI would risk losing Loyals this way is completely and utterly beyond me. Must look good on paper to someone in a boardroom; an "atta boy" cut. Thing is, you mess with your passionate core of customers this way and they may look elsewhere. I know I'm now going to take a serious look at Carnival to see if the RCI "upcharge" in cabin fare is worth it compared with what Carnival provides.

Now I feel foolish for booking a NextCruise with a $200 non-refundable deposit. As a shareholder, there is now zero benefit to me. And I have $200 locked-up--a liability.

I am asking RCI to refund my NextCruise deposit. Yes, it's non-refundable, but this was never explained to me when I signed-up for my NextCruise. A question should have been asked: "Are you an RCL shareholder?"

Why RCI would risk losing Loyals this way is completely and utterly beyond me. Must look good on paper to someone in a boardroom; an "atta boy" cut. Thing is, you mess with your passionate core of customers this way and they may look elsewhere. I know I'm now going to take a serious look at Carnival to see if the RCI "upcharge" in cabin fare is worth it compared with what Carnival provides.

You can't be serious!!!

Serious about giving Carnival a try? Absolutely. I'd read terrible things about Norwegian on Cruise Critic, but quite enjoyed my Norwegian experience relative to my experience with Royal.

Serious about asking that my NextCruise deposit be refunded? Absolutely.

Serious about Royal being short-sighted by not allowing shareholder OBC to be combined with other OBC? That's how I feel. Whether or not that will have any measurable impact on Loyal Royals and RCI's bottom line, I don't know. Probably not in the near-term. But you pull enough subtle affronts to Loyal customers and they may start to look to competitors.

Thanks to all who are helping make some noise. I emailed three addresses that a C&A rep gave me. She said they definately read each email and tally each when there is a theme - like $14.95 steak or fuel surcharges.

web_reservations@rccl.com

shareholderbenefit@rccl.com

crownandanchor@rccl.com

The fact that dramaqueen4lyfe received a response that they were "discussing it" shows that they must be getting hit with a lot of complaints.

If we don't complain, then at some meeting a suit will say "How did that cut to the OBCs go?" Then some middle manager will say, "Well, we haven't received many complaints" To which the suit will say, "Great, that was easy. Any ideas on other things to trim?"

Thanks for the addressess.... sent my comment off.

Serious about giving Carnival a try? Absolutely. I'd read terrible things about Norwegian on Cruise Critic, but quite enjoyed my Norwegian experience relative to my experience with Royal.

Serious about asking that my NextCruise deposit be refunded? Absolutely.

Serious about Royal being short-sighted by not allowing shareholder OBC to be combined with other OBC? That's how I feel. Whether or not that will have any measurable impact on Loyal Royals and RCI's bottom line, I don't know. Probably not in the near-term. But you pull enough subtle affronts to Loyal customers and they may start to look to competitors.

RCI can be as short sighted as they want to be. There is nothing in the NC documents which guarantees you the combo of OBC nor does the stock holder benefits guarantees you the combo. They can make changes to a benefit as they feel.

How many stockholders actually get the maximum benefits? $250 for cruises 12 nights or longer?

Otherwise you are talking pennies. Under 6 nights your OBC for each benefit is $50 respectively. Now you have to choose. $50 break your bank?

Or 7 Nights to 11 Nights? Your benefits for each program is $100 respectively. Now you have to choose. Is $100 gonna break your bank on 7 Nights and longer?

If your answer is yes to both questions you may not want to cruise at all.

I rather they make us choose benefits rather than have this company run into financial trouble.

I find it extremely funny that for most the 'loyalty' ends with cutting benefits.

We all were able to take advantage of a pretty darn good loyalty program over the years now its time that we too suffer a little.

I find it extremely disturbing that this board is filled with "free robes", "another price reduction, yeah me" and "I had 200OBC on a 7 Night cruise and I cashed out $100 of it".

I find it disturbing that people advocate on this forum to share soda cards to save a lousy $6 a day, promote smuggling alcohol to save a few bucks here and there, complain about every little thing to get a dollar here and there in compensation OBC and yet when every company has to tighten the belt and RCI does not take away benefits but rather makes you choose the screams are loud.

RCI didn't not make you pay $200 for an NC (you could have only paid $100 anyways). RCI did not make you buy stock. You choosed to do so. And it was clearly said (just with the C & A benefits) that RCI has the right to make changes at any time. You bought into that 'contract/agreement'. If you didn't read that I suggest you read before you buy anything.

Good response FL Cruiser. Yes, I'd rather they cut back where they can if it helps them stay afloat. I'm new to Royal, so haven't enjoyed the shareholder benefit for very long--and so I'm more sensitive about it. You're right about RCI having the right to change benefits at any time. Still, I think RCI should be more protective of its benefits for Loyal cruisers. That's just my opinion.

RCI can be as short sighted as they want to be. There is nothing in the NC documents which guarantees you the combo of OBC nor does the stock holder benefits guarantees you the combo. They can make changes to a benefit as they feel.

How many stockholders actually get the maximum benefits? $250 for cruises 12 nights or longer?

Otherwise you are talking pennies. Under 6 nights your OBC for each benefit is $50 respectively. Now you have to choose. $50 break your bank?

Or 7 Nights to 11 Nights? Your benefits for each program is $100 respectively. Now you have to choose. Is $100 gonna break your bank on 7 Nights and longer?

I rather they make us choose benefits rather than have this company run into financial trouble.

I find it extremely funny that for most the 'loyalty' ends with cutting benefits.

We all were able to take advantage of a pretty darn good loyalty program over the years now its time that we too suffer a little.

I find it extremely disturbing that this board is filled with "free robes", "another price reduction, yeah me" and "I had 200OBC on a 7 Night cruise and I cashed out $100 of it".

I find it disturbing that people advocate on this forum to share soda cards to save a lousy $6 a day, promote smuggling alcohol to save a few bucks here and there, complain about every little thing to get a dollar here and there in compensation OBC and yet when every company has to tighten the belt and RCI does not take away benefits but rather makes you choose the screams are loud.

RCI didn't not make you pay $200 for an NC (you could have only paid $100 anyways). RCI did not make you buy stock. You choosed to do so. And it was clearly said (just with the C & A benefits) that RCI has the right to make changes at any time. You bought into that 'contract/agreement'. If you didn't read that I suggest you read before you buy anything.

Couldn't of been said any better!! It really is sad that the majority of threads here are about complaints. About how expensive this is or how expenisive that is or this isn't fair or they took my $3,000,000 OBC away. No one forces you to cruise. If you want to cruise pay it if not you might want to look into land vacation from now on.:cool:

I see your point on few things like the sharing a soda card and bringing alcohol on but your not seeing RC's responsibility in this. If they are not going to do something for the loyal customers and the shareholders, then what is the incentive for people to keep cruising with RC over and over and not trying another cruiseline? Why didnt RC prepare better with the fuel increases by planning better on the hedges? And why did they order 2 billion dollar ships? It seems to me some of the problem here is poor decision by RC management in a poor economy and we the passengers are now paying for RC mistakes. The shareholder OBC and the C&A balcony and above discount for an 11 night is 200 for each. To some people thats a good savings. Its not just the combining shareholders benefits being taking away that is making people angry. Its the lobster being taking away, the 12.95 steaks, the fuel supplement and I could go on and on. RC is not a luxury line to be cruised only by the wealthy, those people wouldnt be cruising RC anyway. Your basically saying that RC can do whatever they want at the drop of a hat and we should just put up with. Well people will start taking their toys and playing somewhere else and how is that going to help RC? Without passengers there is NO RC.

I see your point on few things like the sharing a soda card and bringing alcohol on but your not seeing RC's responsibility in this. If they are not going to do something for the loyal customers and the shareholders, then what is the incentive for people to keep cruising with RC over and over and not trying another cruiseline? Why didnt RC prepare better with the fuel increases by planning better on the hedges? And why did they order 2 billion dollar ships? It seems to me some of the problem here is poor decision by RC management in a poor economy and we the passengers are now paying for RC mistakes. The shareholder OBC and the C&A balcony and above discount for an 11 night is 200 for each. To some people thats a good savings. Its not just the combining shareholders benefits being taking away that is making people angry. Its the lobster being taking away, the 12.95 steaks, the fuel supplement and I could go on and on. RC is not a luxury line to be cruised only by the wealthy, those people wouldnt be cruising RC anyway. Your basically saying that RC can do whatever they want at the drop of a hat and we should just put up with. Well people will start taking their toys and playing somewhere else and how is that going to help RC? Without passengers there is NO RC.

And you don't think other lines will do something similar??

Yes, I do believe RCL should do what it takes to make themselves more financially stable. To say this is all managements fault is just comical. All there is among consumers now days is GREED....everybody wants something but they don't want to pay an extra cent for it. This is the direction this country is going and its sad..

Your acting like trying Carnival is bad thing. I hope you dont really believe the BS that Crnival is the Walmart of cruising. If you ask me RC has become more of the Walmart Cruise with all the nickel and diming and the taking away things. Carnival still has lobster and they dont charge 15 bucks for a decent steak. I was pleasantly surprised with Carnival and have enjoyed all of my cruises with them.

I suppose when it comes down to it for me, I don't want to feel nickle and dimed for everything on a cruise. I think that a general consesus is that in the "old days" 2003<, there weren't as many "add ons" etc. that you had to take into consideration. Then again, I'm only 23 and have passionately been cruising since March of 07. Since then, I've seen the fuel surcharge, this whole 14.95 steak drama play out, and other things that make it look like nickle and diming of the customer. To me, it's all in how you chose to percieve these changes. I think that paying for a cruise hands down beats a land vacation.

Now, no one is going to force you to buy a 14.95 steak in the dining room, nor will they force you to run up a 1400 dollar bill on Sea Pass...but all in all I think that when you start taking away from the core customer base by removing specials that coincide with one another, you are going to have some people get upset. Is it right to take these away? perhaps....is it fair? Couldn't tell you; I don't know how much profit RCI turns. For me, having worked in the service industry all of my life, I think it's a bad move to take away these core benefits, but then again...you are a shareholder and you have a right to be heard. Speak up! You own part of the company! Just my own humble opinion.:D

And you don't think other lines will do something similar??

Yes, I do believe RCL should do what it takes to make themselves more financially stable. To say this is all managements fault is just comical. All there is among consumers now days is GREED....everybody wants something but they don't want to pay an extra cent for it. This is the direction this country is going and its sad..

I disagree with your generalization about consumer greed, etc.

I think the American consumer is sick and tired of getting bent over the barrel by greedy corporations - extra fees at the bank, extra fees by the airlines, extra fees by the cruise lines, surcharges for every little thing.

As long as people will willingly bend over the barrel, the greedy corporations will continue to stick it to us. BUT, if we stand up, complain, and refuse to take it anymore, the greedy corporations will have to rethink their stick-it-to-the-consumer strategy.

The basic law of the marketplace is "charge whatever the traffic will bear" and if we decide we will not bear the fees and surcharges, they will disappear.

I, for one, will continue to voice my complaint whenever I feel necessary.

Archived