Can I Bring Snacks on the plane?

BroncosFan2010

I am wondering if I can pack pre-packaged and unopened snack foods on my carry on. I want to bring granola bars, chex mix, and fruit snacks for our long day of travel. I get them at Sam's Club for cheap, and don't want to pay for them inside the security gate. I know TSA makes you dump any and all liquids, but what about food?

I am wondering if I can pack pre-packaged and unopened snack foods on my carry on. I want to bring granola bars, chex mix, and fruit snacks for our long day of travel. I get them at Sam's Club for cheap, and don't want to pay for them inside the security gate. I know TSA makes you dump any and all liquids, but what about food?

The foods you mention are permitted.

I used to bring a small jar of peanut butter and a package of crackers. I'm afraid it could be put into the category of 'gels' and confiscated so I now order from minimus.biz and buy individual packets that are under 3 oz. I like to know we have something with us in the event we are stranded on a plane for hours with no food available.

(I put the 3 oz packets into our one quart ziploc....just in case.)

The foods you mention are permitted.

I used to bring a small jar of peanut butter and a package of crackers. I'm afraid it could be put into the category of 'gels' and confiscated so I now order from minimus.biz and buy individual packets that are under 3 oz. I like to know we have something with us in the event we are stranded on a plane for hours with no food available.

(I put the 3 oz packets into our one quart ziploc....just in case.)

With the new outbreak, one would be smart to avoid anything with Peanuts.

###

And you probably wouldn't choose to (unless you are taking a small cool-bag) but I believe yoghurts would come into the category of 'liquids' and therefore not allowed (perhaps also mousse-style desserts etc.). We've taken sandwiches, bananas, fruit and snack bars with no problems. As long as you stick to 'solid' foods I would think you'll be ok.

Not only can you bring along these snacks, you should. We never fly or drive without some food source with us. There have been some times when the food onboard an airplane is absolutely inedible (can you imagine :p) to us, plus a few times when we have been stranded for a few hours. Or late flights, when we can't find an open restaurant upon arrival to our destination.

We don't travel anywhere with out the chocolate Chex Mix bars. DS got one at school, and I've bought them ever since. Since our airport has a Sonic in it, I will pick up a hamburger to take with me if I have a mid-morning flight. nothing like a hamburger and onion rings (which I don't eat very often anyway) when the flight attendants are handing out pretzels or chips!

We don't travel anywhere with out the chocolate Chex Mix bars. DS got one at school, and I've bought them ever since. Since our airport has a Sonic in it, I will pick up a hamburger to take with me if I have a mid-morning flight. nothing like a hamburger and onion rings (which I don't eat very often anyway) when the flight attendants are handing out pretzels or chips!

SONIC?!?! I'm jealous. Out of O'Hare we have an area like a mall food court for food near in the AA terminal, nothing really good though. Well, now that we finally have Sonic in the north maybe we'll be lucky enough to get the at the airports. One can only hope!:D

###

:) I bought a large supply of packets before this whole outbreak situation and they have a 'use before' date well into the future. Happy I have them as I agree I would not be apt to purchase any now.

If you have a jar of peanut butter in your cabinet you bought 3 months ago, there is no reason to not use it.

###

Actually you just have to be careful about your source. For example, JIF peanut butter is still fine to eat and is not included in the recall. You can use this link to find a source to check whether your product is still okay http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/salmonellatyph.html

SONIC?!?! I'm jealous. Out of O'Hare we have an area like a mall food court for food near in the AA terminal, nothing really good though. Well, now that we finally have Sonic in the north maybe we'll be lucky enough to get the at the airports. One can only hope!:D

Oklahoma City is home of Sonic, so it really makes sense to have one in the airport.

? I'm an East Coaster. and never heard of it....

I gather Sonic is a hamburger place?

Yes, it is kind of a throw back to the old fashioned burger places with the car-hop and everything. I grew up in KS and we had them in every town. We called them Chronic!!! LOL I kind of miss them up here in Michigan. They had the best Cherry Limades and fried mushrooms!

Ok, here's an interesting thing that happened to me with my string cheese. I LOVE CHEESE! I eat string cheese every day, probably 3-4 per day. When we travel, we bring enough for the entire trip, and bring them in our carry-ons. One time, on a flight back from a hot international location (it was a few years ago, so I don't remember where), our bags were searched and I waited for 10 minutes while two TSA guys debated whether my now MELTED cheese sticks were considered a liquid! LOL The good thing is that we were on the way home, and I think I only had 2-3 of them left. They decided to let me keep them (even though they needed to be thrown away at that point anyhow).

Moral of the story -- don't let your string cheese melt or TSA may consider it a liquid!

We have taken granola bars, fruit bars, fruit, sandwiches, crystal light packages and empty water bottles, make our own drinks after passing security by using water from water fountains or from the soda fountain inside the restaurants. Doesn't matter if what you bring is in an new or opened package, as long as it's not liquid.

I wonder how long that Sonic in Aurora will stay open - with the frigid weather we are having and usually have in winter I can't see them getting much business during the winter months. I was actually suprised that they didn't adapt their buiding layout to include an inside sit-down area for us Northerners.

Thanks. I actually googled after I wrote that post to see what popped up.

They haven't reached the Northeast yet...... maybe soon? :D

I can't tell exactly where you are, but my best friend who lives in PA now, was absolutely overjoyed when they built one 45 minutes away from her. She made five trips the first two weeks they were open and is on a first name basis with that franchise owner.....

We have taken granola bars, fruit bars, fruit, sandwiches, crystal light packages and empty water bottles, make our own drinks after passing security by using water from water fountains or from the soda fountain inside the restaurants. Doesn't matter if what you bring is in an new or opened package, as long as it's not liquid.

We do the same thing. We also use the Crystal Light (or other individual drink mixes) throughout the cruise - as many cruise lines have stopped serving juice and other free drinks during the day.

I wonder how long that Sonic in Aurora will stay open - with the frigid weather we are having and usually have in winter I can't see them getting much business during the winter months. I was actually suprised that they didn't adapt their buiding layout to include an inside sit-down area for us Northerners.

I'm in Aurora, and I've wondered, too. Oswego had a brand spankin' new Dog n Suds a number of years ago that closed pretty quick. Hopefully, the loyal following will keep the Sonic open. Gotta love Frito Chili Pie! I make my own. but it's not the same!

...One time, on a flight back from a hot international location (it was a few years ago, so I don't remember where), our bags were searched and I waited for 10 minutes while two TSA guys debated whether my now MELTED cheese sticks were considered a liquid! ...

FUNNY! Although, I suppose at the time it wasn't so funny.

Archived