Difference between Supper Club and Steak House

2mygirl2

I have read that the Supper Clubs have changed to Steakhouses. What's the change/difference? We ate at the Supper Club on the Valor years ago and loved it. We were planning on doing the same on the Dream in March. Should we expect it to be completely different from our experience on the Valor?

I have read that the Supper Clubs have changed to Steakhouses. What's the change/difference? We ate at the Supper Club on the Valor years ago and loved it. We were planning on doing the same on the Dream in March. Should we expect it to be completely different from our experience on the Valor?

That is a good question, the price did not change, the food did not change, the location did not change,

It is still great food, good service, adult format,

They use to have live music. So it was a Supper Club sans music, Steakhouse.

Suitable for children and appropriate for them to be there? No.

I agree as well. We brought our then 10-YO to the supper club on Pride last year (his request). He was well behaved, loved the food - but it was too much and too long, even for a kid who knew what to expect. Afterward, he allowed that next time we wanted to go to the steakhouse, he would opt for the dining room.

We experienced the "supper club" as opposed to the "steakhouse." I saw little difference in food - the main difference was in the entertainment. When we first went to the supper club we had live entertainment and dancing. Not so with the steakhouse. We will still go, but I do wish that Carnival Glory would lose the George Michael CD.:p

I would have enjoyed the live music and dancing. The steak house doesn't interest me but a supper club would have. Too bad I missed it.

Was this a cost cutting measure or was it that people just weren't into it.

What kind of music did they play? Was there a singer or just a band?

Can you still find the same live music and dancing elsewhere on the ship after dinner?

... We will still go, but I do wish that Carnival Glory would lose the George Michael CD.:p

Are they still pulling that crap?

I had an issue (oddly, also on the Glory) perhaps 2-3 years ago where the staff in there were playing their own CD's. I FULLY believe it should be music selected for the Steakhouse - at a higher level. Don't get me wrong, I like Blind Melon and Pink, I just don't care to hear it (on multiple nights!) when we are in there trying to enjoy a nice meal!!

Fortunately, I did not witness a repeat of such (poor taste) music on many sailings after that cruise (Valor, Freedom, Dream, Miracle).

I would have enjoyed the live music and dancing. The steak house doesn't interest me but a supper club would have. Too bad I missed it.

Was this a cost cutting measure or was it that people just weren't into it.

What kind of music did they play? Was there a singer or just a band?

Can you still find the same live music and dancing elsewhere on the ship after dinner?

Typically it was a duo - usually a fellow on keyboard/piano and a female vocalist. It was actually quite nice, and it's something I do miss.

The first time we sailed on Celebrity (February 2008) and dined in Murano, they had live harp music. It was actually perfect for the atmosphere -- nicely refined. By the time we sailed with them again in the Fall, the harp was gone. So, sadly, it's not only Carnival slowly lowering the bar!

When we first started enjoying the Supper Club on Carnival, it was $25pp. Perhaps 3-4 years ago (?) it was upped to $30. That's actually a good deal for the meal they provide. Murano (Celebrity) is now up to $40, though we were able to get our reservations for our cruise on the Eclipse next month for $30, as they had not yet made the change when we booked our nights. On Celebrity you pay for your specialty dining when you make the booking online. I suppose that helps to minimize cancellations. That was also the case on the Epic (NCL), but that is the only ship in their fleet which allows specialty dining reservations pre-cruise.

Tom

Are they still pulling that crap?

Tom

This has been our running joke on the ships. February 2009 we sailed on Glory out of Port Canaveral. First cruise after the "supper club" (which we had experienced on Liberty and Valor) turned into the "steakhouse." No difference in the food, but we went from live entertainment to recordings of Air Supply and George Michael. Fast forward two years - in the meantime we had visited the supper clubs on Pride and Conquest. More canned recordings, but they were more along the lines of Big Band/Sinatra music. Summer 2011, back on Glory. We went to the steakhouse. We started out with Big Band music, but before long they switched over to...George Michael. We joked that they must have known we were coming.:rolleyes:

I liked the live entertainment, but I can understand the economics behind the changes. Still, I think they can do better for an upscale restaurant.

I agree as well. We brought our then 10-YO to the supper club on Pride last year (his request). He was well behaved, loved the food - but it was too much and too long, even for a kid who knew what to expect. Afterward, he allowed that next time we wanted to go to the steakhouse, he would opt for the dining room.

We experienced the "supper club" as opposed to the "steakhouse." I saw little difference in food - the main difference was in the entertainment. When we first went to the supper club we had live entertainment and dancing. Not so with the steakhouse. We will still go, but I do wish that Carnival Glory would lose the George Michael CD.:p

Now I would love to be sitting at a table near the table a 10 year old sits at by him/her self while the parents are at the steakhouse.

I think the waiters would be stumped.

Now I would love to be sitting at a table near the table a 10 year old sits at by him/her self while the parents are at the steakhouse.

I think the waiters would be stumped.

No he wouldn't be alone. He has older brothers who aren't interested in the steakhouse.

not enough traffic, so they wanted to get rid of that air os elegance. yet they only really removed the musical duo.

not enough traffic, so they wanted to get rid of that air os elegance. yet they only really removed the musical duo.

I have no doubt that a percentage of Carnival cruisers were likely put off (intimidated?) by the prospect of a Supper Club and a "fancy meal". Now there just remains the obstacle of $30 to the others!

Tom

no age limit. children have always been allowed. my kids love it!

Neither of our boys has ever been interested, but this summer youngest DS, 13, wanted to come and he had a great meal. It probably helps that he loves Caesar salad, lobster bisque and good steaks.:) This was on Freedom and we had fantastic, friendly servers so the time didn't seem long.

Heather

I was pictureing "home alone" type of situation,

A kid, ordering from the menu, making small talk, with other guests,

Y'know, that one's social enough that I wouldn't put it past him, given the chance.;)

BTW - Love the pic of the Lab. We have one as well.

I have no doubt that a percentage of Carnival cruisers were likely put off (intimidated?) by the prospect of a Supper Club and a "fancy meal". Now there just remains the obstacle of $30 to the others!

Tom

Maybe they're also askeered of that floating staircase to get up there! :eek:

Archived