How hot onboard at sea in S America in Dec?

kitty allen

Are you cruising around the Horn, from Buenos Aires to Chile? If so, you're going to need to pack for every season. It will be very cold the farther south you go, but around the Equator, it will be HOT and very humid. Remember, they have seasons opposite of North America, so December is the start of their summer.

I would like to pack as little as possible, but I don't want to guess wrong. I would expect it to be cool out at sea even at the equator, but I see people talking about the importance of getting a shady spot at the pool. How should I pack?

What I really meant was at sea. We'll be as far south as Colombia, but my experience (great lakes and agean) is that it's not hot on a boat. Maybe I'm factoring in wind. I've never been on that big a boat that far south. But I gather from the replies that it really will be hot at sea

It will be (probably very) hot during the day, and cooler, of course, at night, but still comfortable; usually quite humid too.

If I was going to spend time out on deck at night while at sea in the S. Caribbean/Central America, I might need a light jacket or sweater, depending on the wind, but I get cold easily.

I also often need some kind of wrap inside because of air conditioning.

Archived