Experiences on Amazon River Cruise

Skeezics

We are about to reserve a cabin on the Nov. 2012 Amazon River Cruise. Would be interested in any past cruisers comments. Especially excursions - experiences. Thanks in advance.

My husband and I are also looking at this trip - so are hoping for some replies too :)

• 1 month later...

We're booked and know of one other cruisecritic.com frequent poster and his wife who have also booked with a couple of their friends.

Sounds like there may be a cruisecritic.com pre-cruise get together in Barbados in the wind.

Any hotel suggestions in Barbados for two nights pre-cruise?

Just booked yesterday - 2 Scots. Have been on both the Cloud and the Wind before. Can't believe we'll get to meet the famous duct tape whose advice we have read on many threads and have benefitted from it.

We are about to reserve a cabin on the Nov. 2012 Amazon River Cruise. Would be interested in any past cruisers comments. Especially excursions - experiences. Thanks in advance.

Let's rephrase the poster's question. If anyone has been on an Amazon cruise, what was it like? What did you see? What did you do? Was it interesting?

I hoped for some answers too.

You'll be on the Amazon river aboard the Cloud November 2012.

I'll be going down the Amazon aboard the Cloud November 2011.

From Manaus also stopping at Analvilhanas, Belem, Santarem, Boca da Valeria, Devil's Island--similar to your itinerary.

I will post port notes and info about Silversea excursions to this thread upon my return.

You'll be on the Amazon river aboard the Cloud November 2012.

I'll be going down the Amazon aboard the Cloud November 2011.

From Manaus also stopping at Analvilhanas, Belem, Santarem, Boca da Valeria, Devil's Island--similar to your itinerary.

I will post port notes and info about Silversea excursions to this thread upon my return.

Thank you, Thank you.....looking forward to your posts.

Save some pink dolphins for us.

Two of our very dear friends have booked this cruise and I know they will enjoy it. My wife and I did this same basic itinerary three years ago on the Sea Dream II, it was a memorable cruise. The days spent on the Amazon were a photographer's dream. The small ports of call were also a plus. The lazy days on the Amazon were such that you could spend the entire day on your Balcony looking at the sites of the Jungle and the homes of the local inhabinats. Always their children rowed their small wooden boats close to the ship hoping for handouts of thrown fruit from the ship. When it came to an end we wished it would have been more days on this beautiful river. Watch carefully for the wildlife on the shores, you will be amazed at what you see.

Victoria and Bob, Deiter and Debbie I know you will be thrilled with this trip.

"Mitch" and Sheila :);):o:p:D

OH and I did the Amazon trip on the Wind about 4 years ago, Barbados to Manaus and had an fantastic time. The highlights for me were Devil's Island , which I originally thought was an unnecessary stop but which proved to be fascinating, a night-time cayman spotting trip on the last evening and the day cruising through the Breves Narrows, with villages and vegetation so close as to be touchable- almost. Oh and going piranha fishing- that was great, eating them was even better. and seeing the pink river dolphin - now that was really something special - make sure you have your eyes peeled everytime you are on deck

In Manaus we were given a city tour by on the of the jewellers on board, which was fine, please don't miss the opera house there and, before you go, try to watch the Werner Herzog film "Fitzcarraldo" which I found most interesting and atmospheric.

We did one or two other tours, a jungle walk and a village visit and also went ashore at Boca de Valeria where the local children "adopt" you for a dollar, take you arund the village and then end up at their parents' souvenir stalls, slightly odd and a bit surreal.

We didn't see any snakes, in fact I was rather disappointed not to at least get a glimpse of an anaconda - at a very safe distance, as I am no lover of snakes either. I don't think you will need to be concerned.

Archived