Experiences on Amazon River Cruise

Skeezics

It is quite impossible to see the snakes from a cruise. Even in small expedition cruise you cant see them. Should you want to see snakes (i belive you dont) you must go to Pantanal where you can spot them easily.

It is quite impossible to see the snakes from a cruise. Even in small expedition cruise you cant see them. Should you want to see snakes (i belive you dont) you must go to Pantanal where you can spot them easily.

I know you will be saying why would she book an Amazon cruise when she doesn't like snakes! Did you see many? Will I be able to avoid them? I have a real terror of them.

Snakes were one of my worst nightmares.We were in a canoe at the Napo lodge in the Ecuadorean Amazon when I realised that the head of a large Anaconda was about 2 feet from my head.As soon as it realised I had noticed it,it disappeared quickly-they are more frightened of you.

But remember this was a canoe,not a cruise ship.you definitely wont get close.

We're booked and know of one other cruisecritic.com frequent poster and his wife who have also booked with a couple of their friends.

Sounds like there may be a cruisecritic.com pre-cruise get together in Barbados in the wind.

Any hotel suggestions in Barbados for two nights pre-cruise?

My wife, Val, and I have also just booked this cruise, can't believe how popular it is, so far ahead! You are right this definitely calls for a C/C get together prior to boarding in Bim (short for Barbados). Since we live here we would be happy to take on the coordinating of such a gathering once we determine the C/Cers preferred hotel of choice. Where is Jennifer when we need her? Some recommendations for hotels, in no particular order, are suggested:

Barbados Hilton, handy to the port, modern, big, typical Hilton, not much local ambiance.

Sandy Lane, only for the filthy rich, but worth every penny they tell me!

Little Good Harbour, Small hotel on west coast, really nice with 4 poster beds in private 2 room villas.

Marriot Court Yard, very new, reasonable prices, business type hotel, handy to the port.

Little Arches, boutique hotel on the south east coast, not cheap but very well regarded.

Grand Barbados, used to be the Holiday Inn, moderately priced, handy to the port, next to the Yacht Club.

Atlantis Hotel, rugged east coat hotel dating back to the 18th century, very cool, now revamped to a boutique hotel, nowhere near anything except surf for you surfers.

Coral Reef, Colony Club, two exceptional hotels on the West (Platinum) coast, have a huge repeat guest list, not cheap but recommended.

Coral Sands ( not to be confused with Coral Mist, disgusting hotel) on the south coast. very good reviews, moderate price.

Peach and Quiet, very nice, well run hotel and moderate pricing.

There are loads more and would be happy to critique if asked.

Looking forward to seeing all Critics prior to cruise.

My wife, Val, and I have also just booked this cruise, can't believe how popular it is, so far ahead! You are right this definitely calls for a C/C get together prior to boarding in Bim (short for Barbados). Since we live here we would be happy to take on the coordinating of such a gathering once we determine the C/Cers preferred hotel of choice. Where is Jennifer when we need her? Some recommendations for hotels, in no particular order, are suggested:

Barbados Hilton, handy to the port, modern, big, typical Hilton, not much local ambiance.

Sandy Lane, only for the filthy rich, but worth every penny they tell me!

Little Good Harbour, Small hotel on west coast, really nice with 4 poster beds in private 2 room villas.

Marriot Court Yard, very new, reasonable prices, business type hotel, handy to the port.

Little Arches, boutique hotel on the south east coast, not cheap but very well regarded.

Grand Barbados, used to be the Holiday Inn, moderately priced, handy to the port, next to the Yacht Club.

Atlantis Hotel, rugged east coat hotel dating back to the 18th century, very cool, now revamped to a boutique hotel, nowhere near anything except surf for you surfers.

Coral Reef, Colony Club, two exceptional hotels on the West (Platinum) coast, have a huge repeat guest list, not cheap but recommended.

Coral Sands ( not to be confused with Coral Mist, disgusting hotel) on the south coast. very good reviews, moderate price.

Peach and Quiet, very nice, well run hotel and moderate pricing.

There are loads more and would be happy to critique if asked.

Looking forward to seeing all Critics prior to cruise.

Hi Sailmaker - Thanks for the great suggestions of hotels in Barbados. We are considering a B & B over in Bathsheba, so a pre-cruise get together might be difficult for us to attend. We have time to make our pre-cruise plans.

By the way, we were on the TA with you, Jennifer and the large group of CC'ers. I remember meeting you at the Marriott in Lisbon. Looking forward to traveling with you again.

Where is Jennifer when we need her?

Coral Sands ( not to be confused with Coral Mist, disgusting hotel) on the south coast.

Hi Andy

I'm here:D and reading this thread with interest. The itinerary is fantastic and so good for u & Val as it's round trip Barbados. Bob & Victoria are going too so u all will have a great time. I am soooo jealous:D

Despite the fact that I love living in Australia, it is a pain that we are so far away from everything.

Now the Coral Mist isn't that disgusting, just Fawlty Towers, and probably not the kind of hotel that a SS cruiser should be staying at. I learnt my lesson - pay more attention to your recommendations :)

Give my love to Val.

Cheers

Jennifer

• 3 months later...

Thanks to this very attractive SS Amazon itinerary and Well Seasoned, and Palamoh's significant and repetitive arm twisting (they also used Embtsam's booking as further enticement)--we are now booked.

Thanks to this very attractive SS Amazon itinerary and Well Seasoned, and Palamoh's significant and repetitive arm twisting (they also used Embtsam's booking as further enticement)--we are now booked.

That's great news! Look forward to meeting you.

Have stayed at the Hilton (OK but lousy food), Sandy Lane (the best) and will try Coral Reef Club next week. Will let you know.

We have booked Coral Reef Club for 2 days pre-cruise in November. Last time we stayed at the Royal Pavillion. Will be interested to hear if you like it.

My Husband and I are also booked on this cruise. Never done the Amazon before but, think the Wind is the perfect size ship to enjoy such a voyage. Best advantage we have is that the Wind will be refurbished prior to our voyage.

I think this is going to be a great cruise. Lots of enthusiastic people aboard :)

billcrooz...hilarious,thanks for that.

Mitch/Palamoh, yes we have to have YF vax..just sent u private email with cut/paste from our SS Cloud Amzn River cruise (2012) invoice saying the same. Will discuss more when we get together late next month.

I may be able to answer that. A visa is required, and for US residents it is $ 224 ( $ 77 for Australians !)

applications on line here:

https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/manterVisto.do?lang=eng#inicio

and this is the brazil consulate in NYC - they have visa information

http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/

you need a copy of your itinerary (on SS letterhead or your travel agents) as well as photos.

Yellow Fever shots are a once only injection that last 10 years. :)

I may be able to answer that. A visa is required, and for US residents it is $ 224 ( $ 77 for Australians !)

applications on line here:

https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/manterVisto.do?lang=eng#inicio

and this is the brazil consulate in NYC - they have visa information

http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/

you need a copy of your itinerary (on SS letterhead or your travel agents) as well as photos.

Yellow Fever shots are a once only injection that last 10 years. :)

The website says that visas for US citizens are "only" $140.

The website says that visas for US citizens are "only" $140.

I got that figure from the brazil embassy page in Australia, so that fee must be if a US citizen applies for a brazil visa in Australia !! :confused:

http://www.brazil.org.au/aussie/page.php?id=142

so dont apply for your brazil visa here !

Silversea uses the following site for VISAs. They will notify you 120-90 days prior to the cruise with the info. The site is http://www.traveldocs.com/pinnacle/operators/silversea/. I would recommend using them. Regent used a similar outfit and the process went very smoothly. Unfortunately, our Brazilian VISAs run out in Dec of this year, so we'll have to do it all over again. The VISA is good for 5 years.

YIPES!!! After looking at the SS contractor's site for the Brazilian VISAs, I don't think we'll use them. $478 for two people is a bit much. Did a google search and found several sites that only charge @$140-180/per plus return shipping. I guess SS uses their contractor for more secure operations, but they sure aren't looking out for their customers IMHO. Will have to investigate further.

Archived