Aboard the Cloud to the Amazon

duct tape

Greetings from Devil's Island. I decided to start a new thread since the other one is already 4 pages long and we are on a new voyage, a new adventure and a re-new-ed ship. The grand old dame looks great. From the new pool grill down to the new laundry equipment, it is all shine and polish. Even tho' it has been Spirit-ed, it was done in a much more subtle and refined way (IMHO). The biggest transformation is in La Champagne, absolutley it's own territory. Very Deco but clean and crisp. The Terrace now looks like the one on the Wind with lots of tables for 2 and banquettes along the walls. There is also a new, enlarged buffet/counter and nice doors instead of drapes. Speaking of drapes, Mayflower1, the DR drapes are terrific, fresh, bright, clean and modern. The Panorama has gained counters/cabinets to store all the needed equipment for Tea time and other functions. The Bar looks great in shades of red, camel, taupe and new chairs. My only issue is that none of the reupholstered chairs had enough stuffing added! If that is my only issue with this re-do then I need a life! The showers are just the best and everyone appears pleased. I know there is more to mention but it escapes me at the moment. There are 278 aboard, 191 Venetians and 28 CCers! It is great to see old friends Champlain, luckyD and 57varities. So far I have met new friends patnlcc, emtbsam and wellseasoned. Really looking forward to the get-together tomorrow. The ship is ready for us. There are lots of other familiar faces aboard. Trivia has drawn most of the ship and there is not 1 unused chair in the bar. Capt Sangiacomo welcomed all last evening with the warning that water will be precious commodity in the Amazon since the water is so muddy and brown. The ship will not be able to filter it. He did recommend we conserve it and try to save water...shower with a friend! I know some fellow travelers posted some news on the old thread. So, dougburns, let us know how we are doing. It is VERY hot here in Devil's Island. Some folks went ashore in the tenders in search of Steve McQueen. They are returning quickly. One last thing, the A/C - 2 new condensers, all is well. It took a few days for the ship to cool down after boarding but OK now. Later.

Seems all air conditioning issues have been addressed. yahoo!!

Devil's Island was beautiful from a distance as we actually toured Ile Royale, the larger of the two islands where all the structures still exist. Beautiful day. Temperatures just like Florida. Didn't even break a sweat climbing to the top of the island.

Entertainment staff performing again tonight. Last night it was "Signed Sealed Delivered' and boy did they deliver. Lots of talent in this group of six.

We dined at Hot Rocks tonight but due to the bug infestation expected in the Amazon, they are suspending service on the pool deck until the 27th.

It's hard not to fall in love with Silversea. Cloud is such a special ship.

Looking forward to meeting all these Cruise Critic personalities tomorrow night.

Duct Tape, thank you for such a robust, fact-filled, delicious Cloud post, don't believe i have ever read a DT post consisting of more than 25 sentences. wow..love it.

Karaokequeen another wonderful on board Cloud post, thank you.

More please.

ps..Wellseasoned looking fwd to embedded pix in your Cloud posts (to hopefully match Duct Tape's outstanding word pictures above)... pls.

Duct Tape, thank you for such a robust, fact-filled, delicious Cloud post, don't believe i have ever read a DT post consisting of more than 25 sentences. wow..love it.

Wes, I was thinking exactly the same thing after reading that long post from DT - awesome work DT:)

My mates EMTBSAM and SAILMAKER are onboard so am reading this thread with great interest.

Have a wonderful CruiseCritic party...am very envious:)

Cheers

Jennifer

Good morning Ducttape & Partner !! - so pleased to get your Report on our favourite ship after her remodelling and especially glad to note that our favourite Drapes have finally been consigned to the Bin !!!! The few pictures that have appeared to date certainly seem to suggest a job well done and its reassuring to hear that the Air-Con is working well - certainly your present Cruise will be the ultimate Test.

We wish you a wonderful trip ( give our regards to David, Gianni & Jorge if all aboard ) and have a great Thanksgiving on the 22nd. We hope to catch up with you before too long and escape from wet, windy & dull UK.

I can't help it folks! In my profession you are taught to KISS...keep it simple, stupid...shot and sweet and factual! We are heading to the mouth of the Amazon and the muddy water has already started. The pool had to be emptied for some mechanical reason and it is just being refilled. The Staff Captain, Security and lots of deck crew are up there worrying over it, looking for the first hint of mud. Keep your fingers crossed. Looking forward to the party tonight. Yes, I just learned that Sailmaker is aboard and I hope they got their invitation! Later.

great night on board the Cloud. The Cruise Critic party was a full house. The ship had great crew representation present. It was so fun to meet so many and oddly enough, to discover that we had been in at dinner with fellow CC posters without even knowing it.

Another fine entertainment evening. For someone who just enjoys the value of good vocals, these shows are perfect. Just plain talent and singing.

Excited about Belem tomorrow and entering the mouth of the Amazon. Not looking forward to being at the equator and the heat that goes along with it.

Just a shout out to "Duck Tape'. Such a really neat, fun lady! just as clever as all her posts.

This morning we are anchored at Belem, Brazil, at the mouth of the muddy Amazon. In early afternoon we move to a dock. We look forward to a river tour and jungle walk. Tonight is the second of four formal nights on this cruise.

The ship is in great shape, everything is working fine, and the crew is wonderful as always. They really make the cruise.

Yesterday evening the ship threw a terrific party for Cruise Critic people in the Panorama Lounge. Everything from a large ice sculpture to plentiful caviar, many fine hors d'oeuvres, drinks, etc. Hotel director Gianni Dotti, CD David Lawton, Guest Relations head Saskia, and others from the ship were present. Maitre d' Jorge and head bartender Myra oversaw things. Everyone expressed great appreciation for the loyalty of the 28 or so CCers who were present. There were name tags with the CC handles and real names, and it was very nice to met the actual people behind the posts.

Excellent dinner in Le Champagne last night. The new decor is very Spirit-like.

I will attempt to send a few photos, more later, bandwidth willing (it was not willing when I tried yesterday).

Celebrity Summit and Cloud at Grenada

SilvrCloudandCelebritySummitatGrenada.jpg

Devil's Island

DevilsIsland.jpg

The new electrical outlet at the suite desk. The old one at the dressing table remains

Newoutlet.jpg

Bar

Bar2.jpg

Panorama

Panorama1.jpg

More later

Sunset11-15-12.jpg

Bravo Wellseasoned/Dieter & Debbie, outstanding Cloud pix & esp. love the Amazon Sunset. Dieter, appreciate your wonderful, detailed, pictorial Cloud Amazon post--thank you. Also, Kudos to Duct Tape (for organizing) and the Silversea team (Cloud and home office) for supporting your terrific meet & greet.

Looking very forward to more pix & posts.

I think we have concensus, Gianni and his teams did a terrific job for us last evening. Everyone appeared to have a good time. Thanx for the pictures, wellseasoned. Thanx to rojann for the cute name tags. Belem was a very nice stop today. The market is fascinating with fruits I have never seen before. The fish market was a treat with all the exotic fishes, glistening fresh and nary a foul odor. Venetian delayed this evening due to a late returning tour group. Anxious to see the voyage thru Breves Narrows tomorrow.

Thank you, Duct Tape, Wellseasoned, and Karaoke Queen for your wonderfully detailed updates and the gorgeous photos. Somehow I never thought of Devil's Island as being so beautiful!

Delighted to know that so many CCers are onboard and that Silversea extended such a warm welcome. And thrilled that the lovely, cheerful, attentive Myra, who always, always remembered our names, is now head bartender - three cheers! The Cloud and Wind are our favorites by far, and it's heartening to hear such great news about the ship.

Smooth sailing to all.

Thanks Wellseasoned for the great Pictures - The Bar looks so much more modern and the Panorama refreshed - one question - what has happened to the Piano & Equipment in Panorama ? - it would be a shame if there is now no Music in this Lounge. More good pictures would be welcomed if you get the time and connection.

Mayflower1, the piano has been moved and the piano player, Ramon, is as good as ever. Today we are threading our way thru Breves Narows, a group of densely vegetated islands and islets that reminds me of VietNam is you substitute jungle for rice paddies. There are small huts scattered about, some on stilts, some colorful, even a blue shack that has a sign that says "Bar"! It is very atmospheric with buzzards circling above the ship. There are probably too many lumber yards full of mahogany but develpment will come at a cost. Mororized canoes with children and teenagers come from occasional villages and sometimes they appear as if out of nowhere. They are taking pix of US with their cellphones! Some huts have satellite dishes. The children look very healthy due to their diet, I guess, of fruits, vegetables and fish. We are doing some wide, sharp port turns just now and the Capt requests people to stay put and hold on. All extremely interesting. Santarem tomorrow.

Wow, this is quite some travelogue. Thanks for even more pix, Wellseasoned. They're just beautiful. And it's nice to see that the Cloud has kept her traditional-looking decor. Whew.

I have a question: at the pool, does the Cloud still place lounge chairs under the port & starboard overhangs - for those who like to stretch out in the shade - or have those areas been reassigned for small tables and chairs for dining, as on the Whisper??

Archived