Amber

You'll be an expert before your cruise is over. Shopkeepers will gladly explain the various qualities. Also, you'll probably have at least one seminar on the ship. Since I prefer gold settings rather than silver, I found my best selections in Poland. However, everywhere we went there were excellent collections. Enjoy!!!

You can get a preview of amber jewelry designs (and a lot of other items that you can buy in St. Petersburg) at http://www.onegin-gallery.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1004. The only thing that I don't like about this site is that there is no indication of scale, and size matters in determining the price of amber jewelry. But as you can see, there are several different colors. I don't know which ship you all are sailing, but the designer that Celebrity has chosen to represent on their ships is quite good. The pieces are higher than what you'll see in many stores, but the designs are unique and beautiful. Personally, I'd rather pay $20 - $50 more to get something really unique because I don't like having the same old thing that I see everywhere else. My other favorite source for Amber was the House of Amber on the Tivoli end of the Stroget in Copenhagen. But I think you should look a little first but then buy what you like that you can afford so that you don't have the "could have/should have" syndrome after you arrive home remembering a lovely piece that you wish you had bought. I love the pieces that I bought and hope to find more cherry amber in the future.

Happy shopping,

Donna

In Gdansk, Mariacka (sp?) street is known for amber. We were advised to avoid buying from the street vendors because often what they are selling isn't real amber. If the price seems to good to be true, it probably is.

The green amber is, if I recall, the rarest. I purchased a beautiful large pendant of the green amber in one of the Mariacka street stores (free-form modern-type setting in silver) and have gotten many compliments on it.

I'd like some advice on purchasing amber jewelry while on a Baltic cruise. Where is the best place to purchase and what should I be looking for. I am not familiar with amber and would appreciate any help. Thanks!;)

Ahhh... amber.

A great souvenir.....

enjoying them still !

Here is a link to my Baltic Review...July 06. I write a little about Amber in my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=380651

With all the amber available in the Baltic.....

I was very pleased with what Celebrity had for sale on their ship.

Archived