Mex Tax Back ??

soccerdad64

We were in Cozumel in March 2013. We bought a ring. They told us about a tax back program. We filled in the forms we were told everything was fine but we have heard nothing since March.

Has anyone ever got any money back? or is this just a scam? It didn't cost us anything so were not out any money.

I've never heard of such a thing! To my knowledge they didn't even collect any "tax"! Sounds like you been had! :confused:

http://www.taxback.com.mx/taxback_get.php?language=1

here is the link. It didn't cost me anything. Nothing has been charged to my CC knock on wood. It was Diamonds International that suggested this to us. I'm not saying they aren't crooks. I know its Mexico so it might take years to get some money back.lol.

:confused: If it didn't cost you anything, why would you be getting something back?

I'm confused.

Did you pay a tax and want the refund or are you just interested in the information for future reference or such?

Thanks.

Never heard of this either and I've done a lot of shopping on Coz.

Here is the link again. When I say it didn't cost me anything I'm talking about filling in the paper work. If I get nothing back that's fine. There cust.service department did get back to me and they said its still being processed. So I will have to wait and see we are back in Coz in Jan. so I will be checking into in person if I hear nothing by then. There must be some sort of Tax that was collected.

Here is the link again. When I say it didn't cost me anything I'm talking about filling in the paper work. If I get nothing back that's fine. There cust.service department did get back to me and they said its still being processed. So I will have to wait and see we are back in Coz in Jan. so I will be checking into in person if I hear nothing by then. There must be some sort of Tax that was collected.

I went to your link and read the FAQ and read this...

Who qualifies for tax refunds when shopping in Mexico?

Any foreign national who is leaving the country through one of the authorized airports on a commercial airline flight (private airplane flights do not qualify for tax refunds, nor can you get a tax refund if you are leaving Mexico by land).

so if you were on a cruise ship then you would not qualify for the tax refund and would explain why folks who cruise have never heard of it. :cool:

I made a purchase in January at DI and filled the paperwork out as well. I just received an email yesterday stating that the CC number that was written down was incorrect. They had all the info in the email I received: CC number (though incorrect), date I purchased, and of course my email address. They had transposed two numbers. I went out on a limb and corrected the mistake. I did call the CC company and inform them of the situation so that no charges could be made from an outside source. They told me I should receive the credit within 10 days. I will be back on the Conquest then!!! :)

Someone out there has had to have received something. Ya think????

Edited by Fun@Sea4Me

:confused: If it didn't cost you anything, why would you be getting something back?

I'm confused.

Did you pay a tax and want the refund or are you just interested in the information for future reference or such?

Thanks.

It is a money back shopping incentive. The purpose is to boost shopping and tourism so the Mexican Government has a program that allows you to get 6.44% of your money back. You do have to spend $1,200 pesos or more to qualify and must shop at certain shops. Cruise passengers can participate.

It is a money back shopping incentive. The purpose is to boost shopping and tourism so the Mexican Government has a program that allows you to get 6.44% of your money back. You do have to spend $1,200 pesos or more to qualify and must shop at certain shops. Cruise passengers can participate.

Thank you for explaining.

I'm not sure I find the 'offer' tempting. :)

• 1 month later...
I went to your link and read the FAQ and read this...

Who qualifies for tax refunds when shopping in Mexico?

Any foreign national who is leaving the country through one of the authorized airports on a commercial airline flight (private airplane flights do not qualify for tax refunds, nor can you get a tax refund if you are leaving Mexico by land).

so if you were on a cruise ship then you would not qualify for the tax refund and would explain why folks who cruise have never heard of it. :cool:

For all the Non Believers. We just got our rebate on the ring bought in Mexico. 5 min of paper work for $200. Not a bad return. Ok. It took also 4months to show up not bad for Mexico.

For all the Non Believers. We just got our rebate on the ring bought in Mexico. 5 min of paper work for $200. Not a bad return. Ok. It took also 4months to show up not bad for Mexico.

Just got mine on the 12th from a January purchase. $200 also...but glad I didn't hold my breath. I'll admit I was becoming a non-believer!

My Phone :)

There is a stand at the International pier shopping mall advertising this benefit. After asking we were told to go to the airport and fill out the papers....it seems to be more of a sales pitch than actual benefit right?

It just depends on how much you spend. It is an actual tax refund of 6.44% of your purchase if you spend the required amount. Even in the stores when making a large purchase, they will tell you that you also will be getting x amount back with the refund. I wouldn't spend the required amount just for the incentive, but if you are planning to make a large purchase, it's a bonus.

My Phone :)

• 10 months later...

I did finally receive my refund but I didn't receive it until May for a purchase I made in January. My mother hasn't received hers from a purchase in December.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Did you ever receive your refund. I purchased a ring in May and have been trying to contact them with no response. I am nervous about my credit card number etc.

I also received my refund it took along time. We were back in Jan.26.2014. Bought something but have not received our refund yet. I have sent about 4 emails no reply back. DI said it takes 6 weeks with visa I think we are on our 18th week. I sent email to DI no reply from them.

Sorry. It was June when I received my refund. DI told us to contact them if we didn't receive the refund with my mom in December. Obviously they get back in touch with you right away! Lol!

Edited by Fun@Sea4Me

I also received my refund it took along time. We were back in Jan.26.2014. Bought something but have not received our refund yet. I have sent about 4 emails no reply back. DI said it takes 6 weeks with visa I think we are on our 18th week. I sent email to DI no reply from them.

I bought two high end watches in Feb. and I too am waiting for my refund to my credit card, mine will be a few hundred dollars.

I have emailed twice and received email replies with in an hour .

I was told all my paperwork was in order they were only waiting for

the Mexican goverment to turn over the funds. etc

I bought two high end watches in Feb. and I too am waiting for my refund to my credit card, mine will be a few hundred dollars.

I have emailed twice and received email replies with in an hour .

I was told all my paperwork was in order they were only waiting for

the Mexican goverment to turn over the funds. etc

Good to know! I've been telling my mom she needs to contact them. Can you share the email you used?

Good to know! I've been telling my mom she needs to contact them. Can you share the email you used?

The email link etc. is or was in my case highlighted on my paperwork from the company that handles that which is http://moneyback.mx/

She will need all the numbers and codes listed on her paper work.

Here is the last email I received

Hello George,

I have reviewed the documentation and found everything in order.

First of all I would like to offer you an apology on behalf of all of us.

During this year, the company has passed through several changes due to the change in government this year.

In order to increase the security of our valuable customers information and due to the fact that the administrative laws has changed for us by our government.

Unfortunately during that process we gained a delay on the payment of our refunds of the shopping incentives.

As soon as we receive the money from the government we are going to pay it, I don’t know exactly the dates, we are working hard to ensure that you receive your money.

I want to thank you so much for being so patient, helpful and kind providing us this time to get your reimbursement.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if you have any further inquiries.

Respectfully,

Mario H. Navarrete López

Customer Service / Servicio al cliente.

Moneyback CZM Costa Maya

Tel.+52 (987) 989 6400

Edited by TheMiz

Pretty much all countries who have a VAT (Value Added Tax) offer some sort of rebate program for foreigners. One needs to ask about it at shops or at the airport. This has been standard in Europe, for example, for decades. Procedures may be different for Mexico, but results should be the same. The Mexico link offered above didn't work for me, but this shortened version got me where I needed to go for the info http://www.taxback.com.mx/

In case you are ever in Europe, here is a link for how to get European VAT back. https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/vat-refunds

The email link etc. is or was in my case highlighted on my paperwork from the company that handles that which is http://moneyback.mx/

She will need all the numbers and codes listed on her paper work.

Here is the last email I received

Hello George,

I have reviewed the documentation and found everything in order.

First of all I would like to offer you an apology on behalf of all of us.

During this year, the company has passed through several changes due to the change in government this year.

In order to increase the security of our valuable customers information and due to the fact that the administrative laws has changed for us by our government.

Unfortunately during that process we gained a delay on the payment of our refunds of the shopping incentives.

As soon as we receive the money from the government we are going to pay it, I don’t know exactly the dates, we are working hard to ensure that you receive your money.

I want to thank you so much for being so patient, helpful and kind providing us this time to get your reimbursement.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if you have any further inquiries.

Respectfully,

Mario H. Navarrete López

Customer Service / Servicio al cliente.

Moneyback CZM Costa Maya

Tel.+52 (987) 989 6400

Thank you sooooo much for the info! I haven't dug through her paperwork yet...but will get on it. I'm very impressed with the response sent to you. They were good when I dealt with them personally with my purchase. I do think they are just slow overall. Were with me a year and a half ago, too. BUT I did get it!