Transportation to Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, Devils Bridge

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:59 PM.
91 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
A group of six of us will be on Grandeur of the Seas in Feb 2018 and would like to go see Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights and Devils Bridge. Is it possible for all six of us to get a cab together to see these sights and what might the cost be? Is there another mode of transportation suggested? Thanks!
NYC
728 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I was just about to ask the same question - DH and I are considering the same sights on our trip in January. Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

NYC
728 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Upon further research, it looks as though a taxi from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard is a set fare of $24. There's also a bus that costs $1.50, so that's what we'll be doing! As far as I can tell there's no way to get to Devil's Bridge without a taxi, but I haven't been able to find out what the estimated cost of that might be. I'm thinking we will take the bus to Nelson's Dockyard and walk to Shirley Heights, then try to negotiate a decent price for a taxi to take us back to St. John's via Devil's Bridge. Might be a good way to see a few other sights on the eastern side of the island as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

Colorado Springs
258 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
According to the taxi chart at this site:
http://www.antiguanice.com/v2/docume...TB%20final.pdf
the set fare to Devil's Bridge is $26 for the first 4 passengers (from St John's). It does not give rates originating from Nelson's Dockyard, but it does mention tours that I think you can customize for $24 an hour - minimum of 2 hours (4 people, each additional passenger $6 an hour)
94 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I was looking for the same thing as you for our dec cruise. After reading I came across Lawrence of Antigua recommended in one of these threads. I emailed him and this is what he said was included. I think I'm going to book the land tour

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

St Petersburg, Florida
816 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
thanks for the info. Sounds great. We will be going in Jan 2oth
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Love to Cruise!

RCCL Diamond Plus Members

Future Cruises:

Freedom of the Seas - Jan 20th, 2018

Past Cruises:

Independence of the Seas - Feb 11th, 2017
Enchantment of the Seas - May 27th, 2016
Enchantment of the Seas - May 18th, 2015
Majesty of the Seas - April 22,2013
Monarch of the Seas - May 25th, 2012
Navigator of the Seas - March 3 2012
Liberty of the Seas - March 2011
Radiance of the Seas -10-21-2010
Liberty of the Seas 5-2010
Enchantment of the Seas 10-09
Enchantment of the Seas 5-09
Freedom of the Seas 2-09
Majesty of the Sea 10-08
Liberty of the Sea 5-08
Sovereign of the Seas 10-07
Sovreign of the Seas 09-07
Mariner of the Seas - 5-27-07
Mariner of the Seas - 5-07
Jewels of the Seas 4-22-06
Navigator of the Seas - 5-05
Voyager 5-04
Century - 5-04
Explorer of the Seas 2003
Enchantment 5-03
Enchantment 5-2002
Sovereign of the Seas 5-00
Sovereign of the Seas 99
NCL
Celebrity Cruises
Princess Cruise Line 1990
Big Red Boat
Massachusetts
86 Posts
Joined May 2010
If you are thinking of taking the bus to Nelson's Dockyard, just be aware that a public bus in Antigua is a minivan holding maybe eight or so passengers. DH and I have taken it twice with no problems, although the last time we waited a long time for the bus to arrive to take us back to the ship. The first time we went there, we were with several other CC members and there was room for all of us. The second time (2/17), we went by ourselves and were among the last to be able to squeeze into the van. This can be a problem if a group wants to travel together. We had good experiences, but I want people to know what to expect. We may take the bus again at the end of this month, as we enjoy strolling around Nelson's Dockyard.
Massachusetts
86 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Gadabout G
If you are thinking of taking the bus to Nelson's Dockyard, just be aware that a public bus in Antigua is a minivan holding maybe eight or so passengers. DH and I have taken it twice with no problems, although the last time we waited a long time for the bus to arrive to take us back to the ship. The first time we went there, we were with several other CC members and there was room for all of us. The second time (2/17), we went by ourselves and were among the last to be able to squeeze into the van. This can be a problem if a group wants to travel together. We had good experiences, but I want people to know what to expect. We may take the bus again at the end of this month, as we enjoy strolling around Nelson's Dockyard.

After discussing this info with DH, I agree with him that the minivans accommodate more than 8 passengers, although we can't recall the exact number. I saw another post that said there were 15. Some seating consists of "jump seats".
Chesterfield
762 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Gadabout G
How long is the bus journey and how frequent are the buses? Can you pay with Us$? How far is the bus stop from where the ship docks/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 2011
Independence of the Seas 2012
Queen Elizabeth 2013
Oceana March 2014
Ventura October 2014
Ventura April 2015
Cruise & Maritime July 2015
Arcadia Sept 2015
Ventura Feb 2016
Emerald Princess June 2016
Arcadia October 2016
Britannia March 2017
Britannia June 2017
Azura September 2017
England
2 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Yes, you can pay in USD. You will get change back in local currency so take small notes. St Johns is tiny so nothing is far from the port. Buses to Nelsons Dockyard leave from the bus station by the market.
Chesterfield
762 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Sunshine911
Yes, you can pay in USD. You will get change back in local currency so take small notes. St Johns is tiny so nothing is far from the port. Buses to Nelsons Dockyard leave from the bus station by the market.
Thank you for the info. Very helpful
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 2011
Independence of the Seas 2012
Queen Elizabeth 2013
Oceana March 2014
Ventura October 2014
Ventura April 2015
Cruise & Maritime July 2015
Arcadia Sept 2015
Ventura Feb 2016
Emerald Princess June 2016
Arcadia October 2016
Britannia March 2017
Britannia June 2017
Azura September 2017
New Cumberland,PA, USA
27,751 Posts
Joined May 2000
When you exit the port/pier area there will be loads of taxis and hawkers trying to get you to book taxis, tours, etc. These folks can be a bit assertive (it is a very competitive business) but you are "da boss." There are plenty of van/taxis that can handle a group of 6...and everything is negotiable. Once you get to the taxi area just make sure the folks know you want a single vehicle for your group (if you want to share a larger vehicle you might save a little money) and do not settle for anything less. An island tour that takes you to Shirley Heights and the Dockyard is a pretty standard type tour and you would probably want to hire a van/driver for part or all the day. Just make sure you negotiate the price, itinerary, and amount of time you will have the driver, before you get in the vehicle.

I will add that DW and I have often used the island public buses (primarily to head down to Darkwood or another distant beach) but this does not make a lot of sense for a group of 6. A group that size can get a pretty decent deal (when calculated at per person) and buses do involve dealing with schedules, waiting, etc. And with the island buses there is no guarantee that you would even find 6 empty seats...especially on a return journey.

Hank