Cruising with infants

gill_boo

After a long break of no cruising due to trying to get pregnant, succeeding and now having twins! We are looking at cruising again. So, here is my question to all the experienced parent cruisers. How do you sail with infants who are still sleeping in a crib at home? Does carnival have bassinets? Playpens? Bring your own? Mattress on the floor?

How old will your little ones be? Carnival provides metal cribs. Cabin was a bit crammed with one. I don't even know where you'd put the second one.

Having just returned, also know that standard size strollers don't fit through the cabin doors--my City Mini wouldn't fit, and the high chairs aren't appropriate for babies who can't sit up on their own securely. Many lacked seatbelts. I would wait til your twins are here before booking. I just returned with kids 6, 4, and 2, and no way would I do infants. Diapers aren't allowed in waterworks or the pool.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They are smaller than standard cribs. Our son was 12 months at the time and it was big enough for him (about the size of a pack n ' play) but I don't think two infants would've fit comfortably. I don't have the specific model, but I remember calling my PVP and asking him about it. He was able to pull up the crib model with a couple of key strokes.

About the stroller, we just brought an umbrella stroller and it was more than enough. No need for bulky Transformer style strollers.

Safety 1st makes a double umbrella stroller which we purchased for our last cruise to Alaska (when our daughter was born). It was awesome to just fold it up and slide it under the bed.

I took my son when he was an infant, and while that is obviously not exactly the same as crusiing with twins, it was amazing! a lot of people will tell you that traveling with infants is ten times easier than traveling with toddlers (which we are doing in two weeks - ages 3 and 1 1/2 - and are looking forward to it). take a look at the Family Cruising board for tons of great advice for cruising with children. and enjoy your cruise!

I love cruising, but I think the appeal would pretty much dissapear if I had to worry about two infants.

OP: If you want to sail with your twins, go for it and don't listen to the people who don't get it. For me, I already spend enough time away from my family because of work. The LAST thing I want on vacation is to spend even more time away from my children.

I have taken 25 cruises in my life. I started cruising when I was a child and my parents used to take me on family cruises. As I've gotten older, my idea of a wonderful cruise has evolved (with high school friends, for college Spring Break, solo cruise, with coworkers, with my wife, and now as a family).

My last 4 cruises have been with kids, both under the age of 3. You know what? They have been the BEST cruises of my life! :)

Don't let anybody dictate what your idea of fun on a cruise should be.

If you are able to you might consider bringing your own pack n' play. We have seen other families do it with no problem and then when it's not in use, you can take it down and store it.

I get wanting to cruise with your kids and I don't even have them. My niece has been cruising with us since she was 2 and is now on cruise #4. She's in school now and it's difficult to cruise around her schedule without paying the summer and break premiums, so enjoy it while you can!

I have twins and traveling with them as babies was quite challenging. I might consider picking a line with a really great and flexible nursery. We also always brought our own pack n play and we brought 2 small umbrella strollers instead of a double.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Forums mobile app

After a long break of no cruising due to trying to get pregnant, succeeding and now having twins! We are looking at cruising again. So, here is my question to all the experienced parent cruisers. How do you sail with infants who are still sleeping in a crib at home? Does carnival have bassinets? Playpens? Bring your own? Mattress on the floor?

Pack and plays. They will provide.

And maybe a little blow up pool to take baths. Consider a balcony. Makes it SO much easier, and you don't get that LOCKED IN THE ROOM feeling when you put them down.

Ah, the memories you will have. Take plenty of pictures. I cherish looking back on them.

I heard the twins want a week of quality time with their grandparents (or aunts, uncles, godparents, etc). I love cruising, but I think the appeal would pretty much disappear if I had to worry about two infants.

Worry? How would that happen? Cruising with infants, then toddlers, then kids, is a joy. Nothing lights up a room or a deck than the smiles of innocent kids.

Pack and plays. They will provide.

And maybe a little blow up pool to take baths. Consider a balcony. Makes it SO much easier, and you don't get that LOCKED IN THE ROOM feeling when you put them down.

Ah, the memories you will have. Take plenty of pictures. I cherish looking back on them.

They don't provide pack and plays--they're metal cribs.

Someone mentioned two cabins. This is what we are doing on our upcoming cruise. We booked connecting cabins. We are planning on making one cabin "the kids room" where they can, sleep, play, watch TV, etc. Obviously, we are leaving the connecting door open at all times since the kids will be 2 and 4.

The thought of having extra space is very enticing and surprisingly, the difference in price between having 2 double cabins or one quad cabin was minimal.

Someone mentioned two cabins. This is what we are doing on our upcoming cruise. We booked connecting cabins. We are planning on making one cabin "the kids room" where they can, sleep, play, watch TV, etc. Obviously, we are leaving the connecting door open at all times since the kids will be 2 and 4.

The thought of having extra space is very enticing and surprisingly, the difference in price between having 2 double cabins or one quad cabin was minimal.

Space? It's that extra BATHROOM!

We did it once, booking the child in a connecting room while mom and dad had the adjoining suite.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and pictures! Very helpful! As for leaving them at home, nah, I've waited years to have them I want them to come and have fun with us. I know they don't take anything away from it at this age but it will still be fun.

I knew about the no water diapers allowed, thanks for the tip on the small blowup pool, that's a great idea.

We'll see if it happens. Waiting to hear back from my mom if she can swing it. It will be her and I and the 2 babes. Leaving my hubby at home.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and pictures! Very helpful! As for leaving them at home, nah, I've waited years to have them I want them to come and have fun with us. I know they don't take anything away from it at this age but it will still be fun.

I knew about the no water diapers allowed, thanks for the tip on the small blowup pool, that's a great idea.

We'll see if it happens. Waiting to hear back from my mom if she can swing it. It will be her and I and the 2 babes. Leaving my hubby at home.

:DCongratulations!!!!!!! Notice my CC Name? You sooooo want to take the babies with you. My goodness I have albums upon albums of my little guys on vacations over the last 7 years. They took their first vacation (beach trip) at 12 weeks old, first cruise at 9 months. Yes it's a hassle lugging the diapers (oh and put a lot in your diaper bag in case your luggage is delayed) but my goodness it is so worth the added work.

Someone mentioned strollers here, a tandem will work fine and fits through the door but it takes a lot of room. As for highchairs, I always carried 2 belts with me when we traveled. No matter where we went highchairs always we're lousy, but for hometown dining I had my own portable ones you could attach to a chair. Two rooms are a good idea, so is a suite if you can swing that. The babies will have lots of space to crawl around, plus you get the tub. Of course the other benefit with the Suite is the balcony for you and you mom to hang out on when the little ones are napping. No matter what though get FTTF if avail, so your cabin will be ready as soon as you board and you can get settled in, the priority boarding that comes with it is a MUST have with the little ones in tow.

Enjoy your cruise, but most of all ENJOY those babies! :D

Archived