Any packing tips for Eclipse Dublin/Iceland 4/30?

mrsm88

I know, could be any of the 4 seasons at this time of year, so I should be doing layers. Light raincoat, rugged shoes/boots, maybe even a hat, right?

But, what about on the ship ladies....do you wear sandals or boots? Do you dress for the time of year (early May) or do you dress for the cool land temps?

Starting to think about this & was wondering if anybody knows how to approach the on board wardrobe?:confused::confused::confused:

Did Iceland in mid June as a pre-cruise stop before a British Isle cruise. It was cold and windy in Iceland - dress in layers and warm. And, The British Isles were also on the cooler side and windy as well. We had jackets/windbreakers and jeans on every day (just scanned through my pics). In early May, it will be even cooler. Check out average temps online for each of your ports.

We have done two land trips to Iceland and also did an Iceland-Ireland itinerary in 2016. We have encountered heavy rain in addition to the country being on the windy side. For those who have packed for an Alaska cruise just pack the same items (i.e., a waterproof -- not water resistant -- outer layer over fleece with gloves and hat).

On the ship folks dressed like they would on any European itinerary.

It'll be cold. I would bring winter coats, gloves and a warm hat.

Ditto, we cruised in July and it was very cold in Scotland but lovely in Ireland. I found it useful to wear a warm top (long sleeve T or pullover) with a hoodie and my windbreaker in Scotland. I had gloves and a scarf. All layers. If things are good, you can take bits off. It’s not just the temperature specifically, it’s the wind which can be brisk. So you find yourself wanting more than the temperature might suggest. If you have one of those little puffa jackets that pack in a pocket that would be really useful. Also, I had sneakers that were waterproof. Something like that is really useful.

Ditto, we cruised in July and it was very cold in Scotland but lovely in Ireland. I found it useful to wear a warm top (long sleeve T or pullover) with a hoodie and my windbreaker in Scotland. I had gloves and a scarf. All layers. If things are good, you can take bits off. It’s not just the temperature specifically, it’s the wind which can be brisk. So you find yourself wanting more than the temperature might suggest. If you have one of those little puffa jackets that pack in a pocket that would be really useful. Also, I had sneakers that were waterproof. Something like that is really useful.

Ok, puffer jacket, rain poncho for knapsack, and lots of layers.

And I guess I will wear winter clothes on the ship too?!

Making my lists, thanks everyone :D

Did Iceland in mid June as a pre-cruise stop before a British Isle cruise. It was cold and windy in Iceland - dress in layers and warm. And, The British Isles were also on the cooler side and windy as well. We had jackets/windbreakers and jeans on every day (just scanned through my pics). In early May, it will be even cooler. Check out average temps online for each of your ports.

Average temps are 50's, but I think the wind is the factor. Thanks!

Going in May. I will not be packing any sandals or open toed shoes even for the ship. But I'm from FL, 50s is still very cold to me!

I have been to Alaska & I wish I could remember what I wore on the ship! This has me totally perplexed as far as what to wear on the ship! In NY, I will have changed over my wardrobe to spring summer, but it sounds like I need to really rethink my packing for the ship.:confused:

Sounds like my luggage is going to be pretty full, lol! Going to search for waterproof footwear, thanks!

We have done two land trips to Iceland and also did an Iceland-Ireland itinerary in 2016. We have encountered heavy rain in addition to the country being on the windy side. For those who have packed for an Alaska cruise just pack the same items (i.e., a waterproof -- not water resistant -- outer layer over fleece with gloves and hat).

On the ship folks dressed like they would on any European itinerary.

When we did our other cruises in Europe (except for Baltics where we were in Aqua class so we didn't do MDR at all), it was back when there were formal nights, this new "chic" dress code changes things up. We are dining in specialty restaurants for 8 nights, off the ship for 1, which leaves 3 nights in MDR which I hope to do the "chic" nights. Hubby isn't planning on a sports jackets just slacks & dress shirt.....if I am dressing for "cold weather", will I be ok in slacks & a sweater or very under dressed?

I’m reading all the information as this is a cruise for our future plans after my wife retires. But as others have mentioned very similar to Alaska cruise. Thin silk long johns. Waterproof shoes. Waterproof jacket. Gloves scarf winter hat. Hand and foot warmers like for skiing. Umbrellas.

My son has gone through Iceland 🇮🇸 and loved it.

Good sunglasses. Bathing suit for the warm spring spa excursions. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

which leaves 3 nights in MDR which I hope to do the "chic" nights. Hubby isn't planning on a sports jackets just slacks & dress shirt.....if I am dressing for "cold weather", will I be ok in slacks & a sweater or very under dressed?

I would not wear slacks and a sweater on chic nights on the ship, although I tend to dress for dinner every night. The Europeans tend to be dressier than people from North America although there are always exceptions to this rule and there's always some people who just wear what they want. I can only tell you what I would do but not what you should do.

When we were on the Canada New England cruise last September / October I was amazed at what some people thought was appropriate for dinner in the MDR. I always think about what I would wear out to dinner in a restaurant at home and if I wouldn't wear it at home, I wouldn't wear it on a cruise (home is Scotland).

When we did our other cruises in Europe (except for Baltics where we were in Aqua class so we didn't do MDR at all), it was back when there were formal nights, this new "chic" dress code changes things up. We are dining in specialty restaurants for 8 nights, off the ship for 1, which leaves 3 nights in MDR which I hope to do the "chic" nights. Hubby isn't planning on a sports jackets just slacks & dress shirt.....if I am dressing for "cold weather", will I be ok in slacks & a sweater or very under dressed?

You'll be fine in that. I don't think I packed a dress for my Alaska cruise either, I wore slacks and a nice top or dressy sweater. I don't want to wear sleeveless or strappy dresses in a cold weather climate, even if staying indoors. I am generally a little chilly inside the ship though and usually need at least a wrap.