Virgin Voyages 2020

RMS Olympic

Laying of the keel was initiated as of yesterday. I read somewhere the ship will enter service early 2020 which might mean delivery in Dec 2019.

Discovered the company started a pre sale signup listing yesterday that allows you to get first dibs on a cabin.....a deposit was required. I signed up at about 3pm and was already # 1018. As the deposit is fully refundable, out flew the credit card😂

I know of another CC poster who signed up, anyone else take the plunge?

Don't know if the crossing of the pond to Miami will be sold or if they will wait till she gets to Miami .......but I hope to be on her regardless.

New cruise line, new ship and no children.......imagine an adult only ship!

I have been looking forward to the announcement and saw the pre-sale. But, my husband and I kind got used to smaller ships now. When I saw the video, the ship looks gorgeous, but too big. Did not make a deposit, even if refundable. Although, the idea of adults only is very attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jorge!

I totally agree with your comment about smaller ships. I'm probably going to sail smaller ships in the figure only making a few exceptions after my current list is completed. I love Windstar And Star Lippers🤓🤓🤓. If Azamara builds something new I'd go back on them.

But for now this new ship excites me......not a size queen, but at least it's under 3000 passengers....along the lines of HAL Konningsdam.

Happy voyages to you both.

Tom

Tom,

Another plus for Virgin is that it may attract a younger crowd, or that could be a detriment (another party boat). Considering the other Virgin products, I think the prices would keep them from becoming a booze cruise. Too early to tell

Very excited about this new cruise product. I will plan on the maiden voyage....especially if it's a cross the pond to Miami!

I wonder if this line will attract the LGBT community in general?

I am happy the original marketing note of being designed for millennials has given way to those young at heart. Guess they realized millennials may not have deep pockets. A diversified crowd is more enjoyable in my book.

Thanks Jorge!

Must admit I am excited about trying a new cruise line. What amazes me are the negative comments some people have made about a ship and cruise line that hasn't even started yet. I just don't get criticizing Virgin airlines and using it as a reference to talk down the cruise product.. Try the cruise and then complain, not before. That's just my opinion.

Thanks Jorge!

Must admit I am excited about trying a new cruise line. What amazes me are the negative comments some people have made about a ship and cruise line that hasn't even started yet. I just don't get criticizing Virgin airlines and using it as a reference to talk down the cruise product.. Try the cruise and then complain, not before. That's just my opinion.

There is a name for those people, they are “trolls”. LOL

Actually, after reading that article I’m tempted to put a deposit for the priority list. Although, we are not crazy about another Caribbean cruise, the lure of a new cruise-line is very appealing [emoji4]

Thanks Jorge!

There is a good reason this board is called Cruise Critic.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave them my $500 also lol. I love the idea of adults only and am excited to see what they end up doing with their brand. It seems I am addicted to new ships. Seaside in April '18, Edge in December '18 and Bliss in Feb '19. I really enjoy Celebrity but need to sample!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Pantherdog...yes this ship addiction can be overpowering.

I don't like the new big ships, but what's a guy or girl TA do

Me...Bliss first Alaska run June 2018

India tour October 2018.....which scrubbed the inaugural Edge cruise. A land trip!!!

Bliss Caribbean run March 2019.

Sky Princess inaugural October 2019

Edge Jan 2020. Swore I would never sail Celebrity ever again....so much for saying never.

Virgin Voyages inaugural summer 2020

Addiction addiction addiction.

Now....what's everyone's guess about the Virgin inaugural? A crossing? Or sail over and make the it's first revenu sailing a longer than 7 day Caribbean cruise?

If a crossing.....embarkation in the UK? Or somewhere in the Med like Venice, Barcelona or Roma? A crossing would allow the crew time to break in before Miami.....breaking in a Virgin.......oh my!!!

We put down the $500 deposit as well. We love inaugural anything..planes, flights, cruises etc...We are on Edge and Flora inaugurals. Just wish Virgin would release a little more info. Seems like Celebrity had released a lot more when they were at this same place of construction. Virgin has released virtually nothing, except to collect some money. Not even any info on when the next reveal might take place.

Hi Tarwood 3

I hope you will write about your experience on the Flora.

As for inaugurals, I have the Sky Princess inaugural booked...but my trip to India in October this year required canceling the Edge inaugural. Right now looking at theHapag Lloyd Hanseatic Inspiration.

Hope we get to meet on the Virgin inaugural.

Tom

We are actually considering cancelling the Flora inaugural. The more I think about it, not sure it’s worth the $30k price tag. Galapagos is such a port intensive itinerary , no sea days and off the ship most of the day, we wont have much time to really enjoy the ship. We may wait a year before doing the Galapagos. I think the price will come down...right now it’s more expensive than Silversea...just dont think they can fill it up week after week year round at current prices. So, currently we are looking at something else to do that summer...maybe giving Viking a try or Seabourn. We are usual Silversea folks, but trying some different lines to find our sweet spot. Sometimes Silversea is a bit quiet for us.

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Dallas TX! my partner and I have a deposit on Virgin Voyages, looking forward to being on the new ship, which I imagine will be similar to a W hotel in terms of decorations being modern. I'm hoping it's a transatlantic from the shipyard to Miami. I'm with you all, wish they would announce more to those who paid a deposit.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting even more curious after reading a few comments I spotted in an article concerning the sales force buildup. First was that UK sales should start in August. Second that travel agents will be told the product is not for everyone. Third VV is going to target a specific type of clientele....not sure how that will be accomplished. Lastly, that if a client is into big broadway shows or flow riders, Virgin is not for them.

This sounds great to me as I don’t care for the current trend that tries to make a ship for everyone, everything, and does it all at the expense of service. Now I would like one small touch, perhaps not everyone’s cup of tea...a steel drum band by the pool in the afternoon while sailing the Caribbean. Tacky perhaps, but oh so fabulous as Lovey (Mrs Thurston Howell ) would say

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tarwood3, I would love to see an inaugural out of Florida! I’m curious though as cruise lines manipulate terminology when it comes to new ship scheduling. There are maiden Voyages, inaugural cruises, now “preview cruises” . The first Caribbean cruise could be labeled an inaugural only after a delivery cruise aka crossing. Then a run it down the east coast to show it off before arriving in Miami.

But I hope the first sailing for virgin sailors will be out of Miami.....regardless I am ready to book.

I’m also curious as to what type of clients Virgin is going to seek or cater to. I read somewhere they had a specific type of customer in mind, that the product won’t be for everyone...but a very specific clientele. A total party environment? A 24 hour night club catering to the 20 to 40 age bracket? Rap music in the dining venues? Over tech everything....use your phone to do anything so you never unplug? Can’t. Wait to learn more. O think this former Marine will be called a sailor on Virgin.....but then I always had a thing for sailors....wink wink wink.

Was hoping we would get at least a trickle of info from VV, but they really have said nothing for months. Hoping they will start to tease us with a few sneak peaks soon. Yes curious about how they will target the marketing. We have been going back and forth on whether we will do the inaugural or not. I have seen a schedule of all new builds and it shows Feb 2020 as completion date. We have a 2 week NZ trip planned in February 2020, so not sure we will be up for it. So we might do a transatlantic if it goes to Europe for the summer.

Feb 2020......that would create a conflict. Currently booked on NCL’s Encore which I booked for the first week of February. Too many new ships! I wanted to do the Encores maiden voyage, but the week before I will be on the Sky Princess inaugural from Athens to Barcelona. Sounding very jaded So i hope V V schedules a spring sailing....maybe April

Oct 2019 is crazy.....too many ships going into service. Had hoped to sail the inaugural I’d the Costa Smeralda.....even though it’s way too big, probably a cheap product, too many people....but a new class of ship........so maybe a summer 2020 Med cruise on her just to experience the first LNG powered cruise ship.

I’m holding a bit more as they haven’t said much on the ship itself and other new builds on other lines seem interesting as well.

Especially we are planning a big cruise already for 2020 out of Sydney.

Sent from my iPad using Forums