Any Experienced Mediterranean Cruisers?

wilmingtech

We love being in Europe and having the chance to stay on to do land exploring. Each time we have rented an apartment through VRBO and lived in a neighborhood, going to the fresh market, attended concerts and museums, walked endlessly and truly felt the pulse of the community. It is a magical (IMHO) way to travel.

Agree :). The first time we rented an apartment in St Remy de Provence I got to satisfy a lifelong dream of walking home carrying a freshly baked baguette under my arm :).

Hank

Ha! Never thought I'd post something on cruise critic that would end up talking me out of a cruise!!!

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We wouldn't dream of giving up cruising. It is the cruising adventure that has introduced us to so many countries and when we fall in love with a particular city, we carve out a trip that combines both--a cruise (sometimes TA's to rest up after a very busy itinerary) to go back for an in depth visit. This year will be a week in a Florence apartment two blocks from The Accademia, four days in an apartment on one of the small canals in Venice and then boarding a ship for a 26 day cruise which includes coming back to the U.S. For me, planning is half the fun.

I forgot about Honfleur. We were there twice for t ours to D Day beaches. I found the town charming and very much enjoyed our visits there.

Honfleur is not in the Mediterranean.

Surprised no one has mentioned Ashdod or Haifa, Israel. After visiting Israel by land, I didn't think I'd get much out of a couple of port stops. Plenty of opportunities to walk your legs off.

We may not have similar tastes, so I won't try to "sell" any particular port.

I traveled a lot in the Mediterranean as a U.S. Navy guy, and really enjoyed some ports like Palma de Majorca and really did not enjoy others, like Alexandria, Egypt.

I lived in Naples, Italy, for a total of six years, and the area has a special feel to it … for me. Others may not like it.

But, you wrote that you like to read about personal experiences. So, FWIW, here is a link to a lengthy review I did of our 24-day collector's cruise last fall. It may give you some ideas:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2569892

Hope it helps,

Dave