Veranda cabin categories

Salsa49

We are cruising in the Mediterranean on the Nieuw Amsterdam in September. We have noticed on the deck plans that our cabin (8167) is VA prior to April 6 and VF after April 6. We are curious what this means, if anything.

Thanks.

HAL has been changing the names of the cabin categories as well as flipping some of the cabin categories themselves.

Just one Example -- on the Vista and Signature class ships, there are some people who love the wrap around verandahs and some of them used to be SC and cost less. Now they will become SB and will cost more.

I, for, one am sorry to see this happen. For one, I believe that the re-classification will increase the cost of most cabins. Two of my favorite cabins on the Signatue class ships are jumping from VD to VB and VA.

In addition, in the past booking a cabin was so easy because I knew exactly what the worst cabin in a category would be if I booked a guarantee. For example, I knew that I would not wind up with a solid steel verandah balcony wall if I booked a VE guarantee.

Now, it will take some research to understand what the worst case scenario will be if you book a guarantee.

Some cabin categories were changed because of their location. They are now more "desirable" because they are midship rather than the old "cheaper" price because they are on lower decks. Personally, I think it's more of the $ game . . . get more money for each sailing by changing the category rather than simply raising prices. Makes you think you're getting a better cabin because of the category . . . and that's not always true.

All past passengers now need to adjust and carefully research future cabin choices. For our next cruise, we made the reservation during a cruise. Signed up at one price, then a few days later were told it would be more because the cabin would be in a different category by the time we sailed. Of course we paid the difference; we really wanted that particular cabin, on that particular cruise. I was just a bit surprised that the FCC didn't know about the correct pricing when we first booked.

For me, HAL cruising is worth paying more money.

We are cruising in the Mediterranean on the Nieuw Amsterdam in September. We have noticed on the deck plans that our cabin (8167) is VA prior to April 6 and VF after April 6. We are curious what this means, if anything.

Thanks.

What it means is that you will have paid much more for your cabin than someone who books the cabin next door after Apr 6! :eek:

For one, I believe that the re-classification will increase the cost of most cabins.
Of course! They are upping the prices on the more popular cabins, and since they can't have all "top" cabins they have to downgrade some of the less popular ones. For example, the far-forward and far-aft VA cabins on deck 8 are less popular for fear of noise or motion, and often were assigned as upgrades from VH-VF guarantees when they weren't chosen by anyone. In the future they will just sell them as VF or VE to start with. Edited by jtl513

One must realize that the the change in many cabin categories was a financial move for Holland America with a majority of the reason dues to the large percentage of those that book Guarantee cabins. In the past and actually present when someone booked and was considering say a Balcony cabin most choose the best location for the lowest price. HAL had originally classified cabins with the VA being what they perceived to be the best locations and the VH or VF to be the least desirable. Most would choose the VE or VD while MANY chose to just take the guarantee of VH or VF because what happened is that very few people ever actually chose the category VA because the price was so high and for just a few dollars more (some times less with flash sales) they could actually go the the SY Suite. HAL basically backed themselves into a corner with training frequent cruisers to wait for Flash Sales and go with Guarantees. Now a very large percentage of cruiser book a guarantee because they know they will be assigned what is left over which is the higher category VA and VB cabins in great locations.....OK move ahead and take a look at the new deck plans for next year. You will notice that on the Vista Class and Signature Class those Mid ship deck 5 cabins with the much smaller balcony that sits on top of the Life Boats are all the Highest category either VA on the Vistas or V on the Signature Class. Guess where all the Guarantees are going to get assigned ;) This is just HAL's way of getting people to pay a bit more for a better location rather than reserving a Guarantee. Although many people do like these mid ship locations and there really is nothing wrong with them but they really are not the very best balcony locations. Similar logic was also used for other categories. I do think that over time (this will take a while) less and less will book guarantees and will choose an actual cabin.

Thanks for your responses. What is the theoretical order of "V" categories?
On the NAdam and Edam, high-to-low is VQ, V, VA ... VE, VT, VF, VH. On Vistas it's just straight VA ... VH.

Edited by jtl513

That's all -the rest is WHERE it is!
Location is not the only thing that differs. The size of the balconies vary from 30 inches deep (Eurodam VT) to 4.5 ft (deck 5 mid-ship) to 6 ft (most side VA-VC cabins) to 7.5 ft (Deck 4) to 12 ft (many stern cabins) to about 15 ft (four cabins on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam: 4053, 4054, 4129, 4133)

What I don't like -- on the S and R class ships we have always booked 002 or 004 or 7002 or 7004. They used to be S (Neptune Suites) which we liked because they were not under the pool area.

Now they are SB guarantees and we can no longer get one of those cabins.

If it is showing as Guarantee that just means someone has already reserved one of those cabins. I found quite a few on both the R and S class that those cabins were actually available for late 2014 and early 2015. Those cabins will become far more popular now that they are slightly less money than being closer to the Neptune. The trick will be booking very early for the specific cabin number. Otherwise what is going to happen that will be the guarantee that most will purchase for a Neptune Suite because they do not care where they land on the Navigation Deck and they will be able to save a few dollars when booking those S and R Class.