Getting a Visa to visit Cuba.

tonygcharles

Hi

Thanks for that

I was trying to work out if you could sort it yourself for less ?

I know the cruise companies seem to up the price for their service usually ?

But so long as I can get the right paperwork to leave the ship i'll be happy :D

• 3 weeks later...
We are visiting Cuba sailing from miami on Ncl Sky 8n April

We have a British passport and need a visa for our 2 day visit

Any advice on the most economical way of getting one

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Tony, For US citizens the cost of the visa is $50 if you go to the embassy and get it yourself. Airlines and cruise companies add a processing fee if you have them handle the paperwork. If you live close to London then contact the Cuban embassy there and find out if you can make an appointment to pick up the visa there and what the cost is.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I have done mine through NCL now , I was hoping to get it for a little less doing it myself

I think $75 each seems a lot ?

Did u say you where there to support the Cuban people , I was not sure if this was 100% correct

Thanks

Tony

I actually marked both support of cuban people and people to people...they have not sent it back

I am doing a private tour in the morning (in support of cuban people)

and then a ship tour in the evening (people to people)

I think everyone charges $75 for the visa.. I suspect that is the price :)

I actually marked both support of cuban people and people to people...they have not sent it back

I am doing a private tour in the morning (in support of cuban people)

and then a ship tour in the evening (people to people)

I think everyone charges $75 for the visa.. I suspect that is the price :)

Pretty sure the Cuban government charges about $35.

The rest is the cruise lines cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cruiseline has to pay for your Cuban health insurance policy too....maybe the rest is for that?

Cuban health insurance? Your going to have to show us a link to that one.

I would like confirmation that you can wait and obtain the VISA and the affidavit when you check in at embarkation. I don't mind doing it ahead of time, but it's easier just to do it at the port. Can someone confirm they've done this?

I would like confirmation that you can wait and obtain the VISA and the affidavit when you check in at embarkation. I don't mind doing it ahead of time, but it's easier just to do it at the port. Can someone confirm they've done this?

Pretty sure you have to do it at the port.

My friends from the UK attempted to purchase in advance from the Cuban embassy in London. but were told it had to be issued in the US by he cruise line at check in.

No link needed. The health insurance is included in your cruise fare.

What health insurance? There is no health insurance included in your cruise fare.

Why do you think we all purchase health insurance.

I’m afraid you need to at least provide a link to where you got your information that the visa covers Cuban health insurance.

We sailed to Cuba last October on The Carnival Paradise. When you do the online check in your affidavit will be there. 2 copies should be printed, you have to turn one in at check in and the other is for you to keep.

They will look it over and make sure you have all of the appropriate boxes checked. At this time is when they will give you your visa. We were charged $75 each to our sign and sail. It was pretty easy.

What health insurance? There is no health insurance included in your cruise fare.

I’m afraid you need to at least provide a link to where you got your information that the visa covers Cuban health insurance.

The following is from the Carnival website: https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/how-to-plan/everything-you-need-to-know-before-cruising-to-cuba

"The Cuban government requires that all visitors pay a small local health insurance fee in case medical services are needed in Cuba. This fee is included in your taxes, fees, and port expenses charged when you book a cruise."

The following is from the NCL website: https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/cuba-travel

Is medical insurance required?

All travelers to Cuba must show proof of Cuba approved medical insurance. This medical insurance will be included in the price of your cruise fare.

Does my insurance cover medical expenses while in Cuba?

The provision of health insurance, life insurance and travel insurance related services to authorized U.S. travelers, as well as the receipt of emergency medical services and the making of payments related thereto are authorized by OFAC. However, insurance providers may decide whether or not to participate and provide such coverage in connection with Cuba. It is advisable to check with your insurance provider prior to departure to ensure that you are covered while traveling in Cuba.

Does Medicare cover medical expenses while in Cuba?

It is advisable to check with your Medicare provider prior to departure to ensure that you are covered while traveling in Cuba.

Is there additional medical and/or travel insurance that I can buy through Norwegian Cruise Line?

Yes. Norwegian Cruise Line will offer additional medical and/or travel insurance to guests at an additional fee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The visa has nothing to do with the health insurance....I was saying that maybe the $75 fee includes the cost of insurance as well as the cost of the visa. I have no idea, but Cuban health insurance is definitely required by the Cuban government....for land travel as well as cruising.

Pretty much the same as Go-Bucks posted.

From Royal Caribbean if the link works

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/faq?ecid=em_10098188&rid=585136355&rcid=27250708&empc=RCIN_RT_PCCUBA&emsc=RCIN_RT_PCCUBAV1_USA_18_EA_RE_CS_BOACC_NULL_DIP_FL_CUBA4_MJ_051918_CON_4_NONE&empf=Y&emct=DIAMOND%20PLUS&lnkid=TRAVEL_AFFIDAVIT

Will guests be required to purchase separate medical or travelers insurance to go to Cuba?

Your cruise fare includes mandatory coverage required by the Cuban government during your visit to Cuba.

Dave

The following is from the Carnival website: https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/how-to-plan/everything-you-need-to-know-before-cruising-to-cuba

"The Cuban government requires that all visitors pay a small local health insurance fee in case medical services are needed in Cuba. This fee is included in your taxes, fees, and port expenses charged when you book a cruise."

The following is from the NCL website: https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/cuba-travel

Is medical insurance required?

All travelers to Cuba must show proof of Cuba approved medical insurance. This medical insurance will be included in the price of your cruise fare.

Does my insurance cover medical expenses while in Cuba?

The provision of health insurance, life insurance and travel insurance related services to authorized U.S. travelers, as well as the receipt of emergency medical services and the making of payments related thereto are authorized by OFAC. However, insurance providers may decide whether or not to participate and provide such coverage in connection with Cuba. It is advisable to check with your insurance provider prior to departure to ensure that you are covered while traveling in Cuba.

Does Medicare cover medical expenses while in Cuba?

It is advisable to check with your Medicare provider prior to departure to ensure that you are covered while traveling in Cuba.

Is there additional medical and/or travel insurance that I can buy through Norwegian Cruise Line?

Yes. Norwegian Cruise Line will offer additional medical and/or travel insurance to guests at an additional fee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The visa has nothing to do with the health insurance....I was saying that maybe the $75 fee includes the cost of insurance as well as the cost of the visa. I have no idea, but Cuban health insurance is definitely required by the Cuban government....for land travel as well as cruising.

Thanks for the update, only really cruise on RCI. Hadn't come across this info before.

Thanks for adding the info.

Thanks for the update, only really cruise on RCI. Hadn't come across this info before.

Thanks for adding the info.

All the cruiselines are doing the same thing because it's a Cuban government rule.....not an American or cruise line rule.

• 3 weeks later...