Shopping in Roatan

Boomermomma

My DH and I love to shop in every port. Not the diamond jewelry shopping, but for souvenirs that reflect a part of the area. What can we expect in Roatan?

You're on the Legend so you'll most liekly be docking in Mahogany Bay. The pier area has a number of craft and other stores there. IMO the best buy is the Honduran coffee that's sold in the white open building beyond th eport entrance where the taxis are. If you dock in Coxen Hole, you'll find some similar shops there. But IMO, you should grab a cab and head to West End Village and walk around, several local crafty type places around there. And then grab a beleada, or three, at Celeste's for lunch.

Watchdiva or Raotan1 who have places on the island can give you a better lay of the land for Coxen Hole itself or French Harbor.

You can also check out the Cameo Factory where they actually do make Cameos. The owners of it are not native Hondurans and have been there for many years. Maybe they can make something special for you. Not to far from Coxen Hole port. As most have said, lots of small shops at West End Village by the best beach on Roatan. Get in contact with Victor Bodden Tours and have one of Victors drivers take you around the island. They are very informative drivers and will take you whereever you want safely although Lionel, our driver several years ago, had a flat tire and no jack. He stopped one of the other drivers and borrowed a jack and we helped him change the tire. (The tread was thin as paper). Luckily he had a lug wrench and a spare tire which was surprise. We had Lionel take us to his favorite place for lunch and we bought his for him. Very nice guy as are the other drivers.

A couple of years ago in Roatan we were looking for a wooden salad bowl set. Found one in Belize at a vendor outside the gate and couldn't get them below about $70, but in Roatan right off the Coxen Hole dock they were about $25 everywhere and great quality. Also got Roatan tees for $5, lots of selection everywhere.

We have enjoyed the company of "Roatan Cab Co." with Cinthia as our driver and guide. We got them at roatancabco.com and for a flat rate stayed with us for the day and took care of every need, including shopping and a stop at Mayan Princess for a swim. She is a lovely woman.

• 2 weeks later...
Yup I 2nd heading to west end. MUCH better. shopping around the port I thought wasnt all that impressive

Shopping around the pier rarely ever is. I am going to do my shopping in Cozumel and Roatan not Belize or Cayman Islands and plan to do it well away from the piers and the front street shops.

How about shopping in West Bay? Is there anything available there? We're not going to go up to West End cause the water taxis look a little too small and unstable for me to get in and out of so we'll be staying at West Bay for the day.

I know there is a shopping center a couple blocks back from the beach but didn't know if there was anything on the beach itself.

• 5 weeks later...
In West End, be sure to check out Waves of Art (2-story yellow building next to Canibal Cafe). Love the local handmade artsy things that they sell! I bring something back from there every visit...

I would like to shop in the West End for "handmade artsy things". How inexpensive are the souvenirs? Can you give me an example of the price range for a particular item? Do they haggle, or is that not done?

We went there on a Victor Bodden Tour. The prices were very high in my opinion. Did not see anything I would want. It was an old building and we were the only ones there. I felt it was a waste of time.

Carol

Thank you. I was afraid of that. We might pop in to look anyway.

The cameos are works of art and are priced accordingly..and yes, the building is old which is no way detracts from the beauty of their cameos. If you're looking for handmade souvenirs, stop at one of the shops near Coxen Hole that specializes in Honduran furniture, woven hammocks, woodcarving, etc. Waves of Art in West End is another fine spot! Roatan is known more for it's white sand beaches and crystal clear waters (West Bay in particular) and great snorkeling than as a shopping mecca!

I am not trying to hijack this thread but I was curious about shopping in Roatan, also. We will be on the Legend stopping there in Jan. Around Mahogany Bay and West End, are there any places that have haggling instead of fixed prices? My son and I love to go to the places that allow you to haggle, my son is much better at it than I am. Its kind of fun to haggle...

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I am not trying to hijack this thread but I was curious about shopping in Roatan, also. We will be on the Legend stopping there in Jan. Around Mahogany Bay and West End, are there any places that have haggling instead of fixed prices? My son and I love to go to the places that allow you to haggle, my son is much better at it than I am. Its kind of fun to haggle...

Thanks

I will be on the Legend in 10 days, so I will answer this for you when I get back. I also love to haggle.

I saw someone mention Honduran coffee, which I absolutely crave and is impossible to get unless someone actually visits Honduras. Is there a grocery store in Coxen Hole that I can buy some at? We are planning on a beach day at Foster's...if there is any that way.

We buy Miramundo coffee in 1lb bags. It is available in beans or ground. I believe at Plaza Mar it is about $8, we buy it wholesale at the shipping dock but there is a 20lb minimum there. Not sure but it's probably only a little more at the local souveineer shops compared to the grocery so you have to figure what time is worth.

There are many other coffee's available, I would steer clear of the one in the 1lb burlap bag as it is not remotely sealed as the others and we have not liked it, although the bag looks cool.

Archived