Question for Carnival fans and experts

loobs40

I am looking at cruises to the Baltics sailing from the UK in June and I have come up with a list of five, including Carnival Legend which all sail around the same time to the destinations. The other cruise lines are Royal Caribbean, P&O and Celebrity.

My question is, why is the cruise on Carnival Legend, considerably cheaper than the others ? Is there something I am missing ?

I have previously sailed NCL, P&O and Royal Caribbean and enjoyed those cruises. How similar is Carnival ?

I have found all my carnival cruises-- no matter where is sails -- to be cheaper then all the competition.

I found Royal and Carnival to be comparable.

I did not like NCL at all.

Spirit class ship is one of the most sought after cruise ships on carnival.

easy to navigate.

best balcony on the ship

7258 or 8232 for 2 people or 6232 for 3/4 people

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0188.JPG

I am looking at cruises to the Baltics sailing from the UK in June and I have come up with a list of five, including Carnival Legend which all sail around the same time to the destinations. The other cruise lines are Royal Caribbean, P&O and Celebrity.

My question is, why is the cruise on Carnival Legend, considerably cheaper than the others ? Is there something I am missing ?

I have previously sailed NCL, P&O and Royal Caribbean and enjoyed those cruises. How similar is Carnival ?

I've sailed Royal and found it indistinguishable from Carnival. I've sailed the Legend and it is by far my favorite Carnival ship so far. Big but not too big, very neo-classical, old Europe style decor. Be sure to compare itineraries and time in port. Carnival is a value-cruise so sometimes a little stingy on ports and times. Legend isn't one of the big big ships so you shouldn't have too much trouble missing ports due to a little wind/wave, (I've noticed the bigger the ship the more frequently they miss ports).

NCL, I've read many times on many boards, keeps the food quality in the MDR poor so passengers are funneled into the pay dining venues. So an NCl ticket may look cheap at first glance, but you need to add in all the extra dining fees to get a true feel for the cost of the cruise.

After my upcoming cruise on the Breeze I have my sights on Alaska in 2014.... this time on either HAL or Princess. They offer MUCH better itineraries visiting all the glaciers plus longer times in port.

Have fun!

I have to echo the opinion about the Legend. It was our favorite of the five Carnival ships we sailed. Loved the layout and decor and were fortunate to have an aft wrap around cabin.

We sailed Liberty when she first did the Med and also loved it. The ship was beautiful, food was good, and the itinerary was great. Have always loved the Carnival crew and found them to be very attentive.

Carnival it a great line and we have sailed 11 different lines from oceanview to suites and find that Carnival represents a great value. Their cabins are very spacious in all categories and we have always enjoyed their food. There is a reason why they are the "Fun Ships."

We came to Carnival as skeptics but our fears were quickly allayed. I am sure you will have a great trip.

I have to echo the opinion about the Legend. It was our favorite of the five Carnival ships we sailed. Loved the layout and decor and were fortunate to have an aft wrap around cabin.

We sailed Liberty when she first did the Med and also loved it. The ship was beautiful, food was good, and the itinerary was great. Have always loved the Carnival crew and found them to be very attentive.

Carnival it a great line and we have sailed 11 different lines from oceanview to suites and find that Carnival represents a great value. Their cabins are very spacious in all categories and we have always enjoyed their food. There is a reason why they are the "Fun Ships."

We came to Carnival as skeptics but our fears were quickly allayed. I am sure you will have a great trip.

We're getting ready to book our 4th cruise with Carnival. We always have a great time. We're looking at the aft wrap balconies....care to share your thoughts? What deck were you on? The balconies look to be a little different on each deck.

Happy Holidays!

I don't have an answer why Carnival's Baltic sailings are significantly lower in price compared to NCL, Royal, HAL, but, in my opinion, they are a steal. The ports visited and time in port on Carnival is as good or better. I was initially booked on NCL Star. However, when Carnival announced their Baltic sailings and I compared the two, Carnival was actually cheaper for a 12 day compared to NCL's 9 day. Additionally, Carnival will visit 6 ports with two extra sea days compared to NCL's 5 port and two sea days. I immediately made the switch and booked the Legend in August. This is a very port intensive cruise so four sea days spread over the trip was another positive for me. While Carnival's price/rate is very reasonable for the Baltics, the balcony rate has gone up over $200 per person since I booked. I think the Carnival sailings are selling pretty well because they are priced several hundred to almost a thousand, per person, below the competition. (a short time ago I thought they were not selling very well, but it appears bookings have really picked up over the last month).

I've sailed Royal and found it indistinguishable from Carnival. I've sailed the Legend and it is by far my favorite Carnival ship so far. Big but not too big, very neo-classical, old Europe style decor. Be sure to compare itineraries and time in port. Carnival is a value-cruise so sometimes a little stingy on ports and times. Legend isn't one of the big big ships so you shouldn't have too much trouble missing ports due to a little wind/wave, (I've noticed the bigger the ship the more frequently they miss ports).

NCL, I've read many times on many boards, keeps the food quality in the MDR poor so passengers are funneled into the pay dining venues. So an NCl ticket may look cheap at first glance, but you need to add in all the extra dining fees to get a true feel for the cost of the cruise.

After my upcoming cruise on the Breeze I have my sights on Alaska in 2014.... this time on either HAL or Princess. They offer MUCH better itineraries visiting all the glaciers plus longer times in port.

Have fun!

I very much disagree with your opinion on NCL. We've always had far better food on NCL than Carnival. And with all due respect, to say that NCL serves inferior food in the MDR to get people to the paying venues is just plain silly. We've had decent food on Carnival over the years, but we've always had much better food on NCL. Maybe we've just been getting lucky.

Carnival is considered more of a budget line than the others, which is why Carnival is usually cheaper than other lines. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on food, service, entertainment, and will jump over the smallest thing to validate their own opinions.

Will you like Carnival? You won't know until you try it, but it's much more likely that you'll enjoy it if you keep an open mind.

Priorities for me on a cruise tend to be

1) good size spa area with a day pass facility (NCL Jade my favourite)

2) good gym with classes

3) Food- variety of salad items, BBQ items, steak etc. Not got a sweet tooth luckily.

4) Good hot reliable shower in the bathroom

On sea days I want to relax, Baltic port days look intensive.Finding a sunbed in a quiet part of the ship with a waiter to bring over the Pina Coladas while I read is my idea of heaven.

If Legend can give me those I'm happy :)

Im dont think the spa on the Legend is anything spectacular. It has a sauna and a steam room. Awsome huge showers. But the best thing in that spa is the hot tub that very few people know about.

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0199.JPG

the tub itself will look like its not opened because the water is not all bubbly-- but there is a big silver button on the side-- turn it on and bliss.

there is no day passes for the spa.

if booking a ship based on a spa area-- Legend is not for you

We found more similarities between CCL and NCL than differences. If you go with ATD on CCL you will come close to NCL (CCL does have elegant nights with items of wear that are on a prohibited list, but that's not always enforced). The gym on the Pride was on two levels and from what I saw had a good variety of equipment available (of course the Legend may be different).

We never got the vibe from our one RCL sailing that it was anything special. We enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed our sailings on Carnival. At least Carnival treats you as an adult and permits you to have alcohol in your room as long as your either purchase it from them, or bring aboard one bottle of wine each. RCL did not. I don't get that they consider themselves an upscale cruiseline. That being said, we did love our cruise on RCL Serenade of the Seas. Just not sure it was worth the extra bucks... Just our opinion. Cannot speak for the other cruiselines. We are just newcomers to this cruising thing.

The real question one has to ask is if RCL, NCL or HAL's differences are worth it to them to pay the difference in the price. For me, they're not. I have been on RCL, NCL,HAL and Carnival. I enjoyed all four, but only found subtle differences compared to Carnival and nothing to justify spending hundreds or thousands more for basically the same cruise.

I very much disagree with your opinion on NCL. We've always had far better food on NCL than Carnival. And with all due respect, to say that NCL serves inferior food in the MDR to get people to the paying venues is just plain silly. We've had decent food on Carnival over the years, but we've always had much better food on NCL. Maybe we've just been getting lucky.

I have to agree with you. CCL used to have better food but CCL's has gone backwards while NCL's has gone forward.

We sailed NCL in July and only ate in the specialty restaurants twice.

We had coupons for pay for 2 get 2 free and if you booked a 6pm or earlier restaurant you got a free bottle of wine any night of the week.

Plus with NCL you get entertainment in the showroom every night.

While onboard we booked another NCL cruise we liked it so much.

we cruise on April 14th on the Dawn doing the western caribbean. The Dream does the same itinerary leaving a day earlier.

Right now the cheapest inside on Dawn is $529 and the 4A on the Dream is $639.

Bill

Remember, the point or question of this thread is why Carnival's Baltic sailings are significantly lower than its competitors. Yes, I like Royal and I like NCL, but both of them will run me $700 to $1000 more than Carnival. (HAL even more). Also, NCL is more money for a shorter cruise. For me, this amount of money is not worth the difference in the RCL or NCL product. I do prefer RCL and if their 12 day cruise rate (for this same cruise) dropped closer to Carnival's rate before final payment I would likely switch to RCL. But paying $1000 more for better entertainment & maybe better food on RCL is not worth it to me. But again, that's just me. Others may feel paying more is worth it to cruise on RCL, NCL or HAL.

A Baltic cruise is port intensive with long shore excursions. The only thing you need is a floating hotel that moves from port to port. Most don't care about the rest.

Exactly! Also, Baltic cruises are substantially more money than Caribbean cruises. We are not talking a difference of $50 to $100 per person, but $400, per person, (RCL) and $1100, per person, on HAL. Is the food and entertainment on RCL, NCL, HAL and others that much better? If I find the MDR is that bad, I will eat more in the Steakhouse and it will still probably be cheaper than paying the difference in the fare on the other lines compared to Carnival's rate.

Hi, Drumbeatfive. We did a lot of research and the aft wrap around cabins on Main Deck (4) had the largest cabins and verandas. We had a separate bedroom, sitting room, dressing room with walk in closet and very nice bathroom. Some of the higher decks, it appeared that there was only a large cabin without the separate rooms.

Hi, Drumbeatfive. We did a lot of research and the aft wrap around cabins on Main Deck (4) had the largest cabins and verandas. We had a separate bedroom, sitting room, dressing room with walk in closet and very nice bathroom. Some of the higher decks, it appeared that there was only a large cabin without the separate rooms.

Thanks for your response, bdhman! We were looking at the Freedom which shows aft wrap balconies on decks 6, 7 and 8. They look to be basic cabins (although shaped a little differently), but the balconies are huge. I was leaning toward deck 7 in order to be sandwiched between decks with cabins to cut down on noise, but the balcony on deck 6 has an area on the side of the ship that is covered. This might provide a little bit of shade for my fair Irish DH.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Thanks for your response, bdhman! We were looking at the Freedom which shows aft wrap balconies on decks 6, 7 and 8. They look to be basic cabins (although shaped a little differently), but the balconies are huge. I was leaning toward deck 7 in order to be sandwiched between decks with cabins to cut down on noise, but the balcony on deck 6 has an area on the side of the ship that is covered. This might provide a little bit of shade for my fair Irish DH.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

im not sure on the Baltic cruises-- but right under deck 6 will be a lounge which is where Karokee is held-- and it goes on and on but its also where the comedy club has their shows and last show is at midnight.

You are wise to pick deck 7

Archived