Dual cabin access possible?

2 mains

Hi all, we are travelling as a family on Sapphire Princess next year. I booked through the Princess call centre and asked the agent if it was possible for our cruise cards be set up to access all rooms on our booking. The agent said we would have to ask this to be done at the service desk once on board the ship. She wasn't actually sure this was possible and could only say that we could try and arrange this on board. Does anyone have experience in setting up cruise cards to access multiple rooms.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

we'll be doing this next week. the cruise didn't have quad occupancy left, so daughter and s-i-l are in two different rooms with one child each. i don't think its possible to get one card to access more than one room. we will get a spare card for each of those rooms so DD can have access to both as can her hubby.

We goto guest services as a family immediately after boarding. As the cards are magnetic strip, they can access one room only.

We request additional "room key only" cards to each other's rooms.

We use a marker to indicate on the back in a not obvious way which door the card opens with one letter or number. The cards are blank (no names or folio info printed on them) and are room keys only and access one room each. We use our original card to access our own room and to charge purchases.

We have found that if multiple cards are carried together (in wallet or on lanyard), they will de-magnatize and need replacement more quickly.

So we try to leave the cards to the other room sitting on the desk in the cabin until it is needed.

However if for booking purposes a person is booked in a cabin they will ultimately not be living in, they must carry two cards - one printed for charging and ID, which opens the cabin they are booked in, and one door key only card to where they are actually sleeping. Many times we have tried but they have not granted us switching booking assignments once on board.

We do this when our son travels with us as he requires an accessible cabin and, as such, also requires assistance. We get get a "spare key" card for his cabin. The passenger services desk is totally familiar with this type of issue. I do however, strongly suggest that all bookings be linked in the system before you sail. That makes everything solid in the system and also helps to assure you are all seated at the same table in the dining room. I recommend this as I don't know what is meant by "family" in your case. It could be your children or it could be a brother or sister and the attendant appropriate in law or even an uncle or grandparent. When our son sails with us we have the bookings linked but then he is an adult and not a dependent child.

As noted you will be able to get an extra key or keys to the additional room, but the system would not allow 2 rooms to be opened by the same key other than a master such as your steward has.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have made sure the bookings are linked and the two access card solution will meet our needs I'm sure. Sounds like we wont have an issue arranging this once on board.

We always get an extra key when we sail with our children one for their room and one for ours. It works great. A warning however, the key will open the door even if you have the deadbolt on. (on Celebrity and Holland American at least, I have not tested it on Princess but I would assume it would be the same). We accidentally discovered this one afternoon when our daughter walked in on my husband and I ... napping (wink, wink). Oops . Needless to say we laugh about it now. We still get the extra key but ask that they knock first!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app